Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
GT 1/8 Scale Rules and Setup Sharing >

GT 1/8 Scale Rules and Setup Sharing

GT 1/8 Scale Rules and Setup Sharing

Old 07-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So what was the GT8 Board's ruling on engines? Any .21-.28? Or is it going to be off road engines only?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by C-Trickle
So what was the GT8 Board's ruling on engines? Any .21-.28? Or is it going to be off road engines only?
Cole this is what we submited... I spoke to Steve and I think this is what everyone agreed on... I THINK... it will end up being a Buggy/Truggy motor..

2. Engine: SEE 9.3 of ROAR~ Any engine UP to .28 ROAR guidelines on carburetors
1. .28 OPEN .284ci – 4.66cc 9.0mm
2. INS Box Required
3. Pipes: ROAR guidelines.
1. 85db max noise level, 8mm inside diameter and 15mm max length outlet. Rubber extensions to stinger OK
2. No internal moving parts".
Old 07-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Clete Landefeld
Cole this is what we submited... I spoke to Steve and I think this is what everyone agreed on... I THINK... it will end up being a Buggy/Truggy motor..

2. Engine: SEE 9.3 of ROAR~ Any engine UP to .28 ROAR guidelines on carburetors
1. .28 OPEN .284ci – 4.66cc 9.0mm
2. INS Box Required
3. Pipes: ROAR guidelines.
1. 85db max noise level, 8mm inside diameter and 15mm max length outlet. Rubber extensions to stinger OK
2. No internal moving parts".

That's a bummer.....guess no Picco Torque for me....what about the Rally engines? What are they considered?

edit: I don't really care for the off-road only rule, simply because there are more than a few on-road engines that make great GT engines. ie any of the "Basic Sport Novarossi's" N21-3T, N21-5T, N21-7t, Picco P7R, Picco P9R, Picco Torque.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

Cole,

I dont have a answer for you bud... on the "Rally" motors...
But.... most of the guys that i know found that the buggy based motors are the best.... in short... they seem easy to tune... and they are designed to pull the weight of the big GT8 cars.... Again, I am not a motor expert... I use a .21 NovaRossi 3 port... and do ok with it.. I will admit, I am down on power... but it runs good and easy to tune.... also easy to drive and be consistant with... I find myself in the mix at every local race if my setup is good.

$179.00....
Old 07-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

Cole,

I dont have a answer for you bud... on the "Rally" motors...
But.... most of the guys that i know found that the buggy based motors are the best.... in short... they seem easy to tune... and they are designed to pull the weight of the big GT8 cars.... Again, I am not a motor expert... I use a .21 NovaRossi 3 port... and do ok with it.. I will admit, I am down on power... but it runs good and easy to tune.... also easy to drive and be consistant with... I find myself in the mix at every local race if my setup is good.

$179.00....
Hmm I'd hate to see the Rally engines be excluded from this class in the US. Considering they're designed to lug around the Rally Game cars in Europe, I think the closer we can make these classes the more product will be available for both. We can share bodies and tires, so why not make the engines the same.

I'm not disagreeing on buggy engines being plenty, I've been running a Go GXII-5RHO and love it, never feel like I'm giving up speed to anybody. But my thoughts are that the 1/8 GT8 class is going to be what will bring nitro on-road back, so to speak. I'm just thinking that if engine choice is more open, then guys who are racing 1/8 4WD nitro can just take one of their existing 1/8 .21 on road engines and build a GT8 car with it. Just a thought of mine to make this class accessible to more people. I honestly don't think the high revving .21's are the ticket to win. The key to winning in this class is 50% driver, 40% setup, 10% power.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by C-Trickle
Hmm I'd hate to see the Rally engines be excluded from this class in the US. Considering they're designed to lug around the Rally Game cars in Europe, I think the closer we can make this classes the more product will be available for both. We can share bodies and tires, so why not make the engines the same.

I'm not disagreeing on buggy engines being plenty, I've been running a Go GXII-5RHO and love it, never feel like I'm giving up speed to anybody. But my thoughts are that the 1/8 GT8 class is going to be what will bring nitro on-road back, so to speak. I'm just thinking that if engine choice is more open, then guys who are racing 1/8 4WD nitro can just take one of their existing 1/8 .21 on road engines and build a GT8 car with it. Just a thought of mine to make this class accessible to more people. I honestly don't think the high revving .21's are the ticket to win. The key to winning in this class is 50% driver, 40% setup, 10% power.
Cole,

Ya.. I hear you.. and I KNOW that ROAR is going to include as many options and manufactures as possilble... This was a super important topic that we spoke of on the phone, ROAR wants to make sure that everyone can play... So.... dont worry... I think your good
Old 07-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Cole,

Ya.. I hear you.. and I KNOW that ROAR is going to include as many options and manufactures as possilble... This was a super important topic that we spoke of on the phone, ROAR wants to make sure that everyone can play... So.... dont worry... I think your good
Good good good. That's what I like to hear. Ok, back to engine shopping Too many choices!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't want to start a debate, but I think it was any .21 .28 engine.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by spooky 1
Don't want to start a debate, but I think it was any .21 .28 engine.
Gus,

I think you are right....BUT... look a 9.3 of ROAR.... I would'nt deviate to be safe.... Again... I am NOT sure.. I am holding off on purchasing until "The tablets come down off the mountain"
Old 07-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Gus,

I think you are right....BUT... look a 9.3 of ROAR.... I would'nt deviate to be safe.... Again... I am NOT sure.. I am holding off on purchasing until "The tablets come down off the mountain"
Yes Clete and Spooky. We as committee had agreed on ANY .21 TO .28 ENGINE for this great class. Because some folks like the raw power that a cheap Ofna .28 can put out and just to gear tall for it AND some folks like to focus on the durability of a nice onroad engine (just to gear low for it). We need to "bracket" both end of spectrum for the engine rule.

Andy.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bassman2
Yes Clete and Spooky. We as committee had agreed on ANY .21 TO .28 ENGINE for this great class. Because some folks like the raw power that a cheap Ofna .28 can put out and just to gear tall for it AND some folks like to focus on the durability of a nice onroad engine (just to gear low for it). We need to "bracket" both end of spectrum for the engine rule.

Andy.

Mhmm. Hit the nail on the head.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Engine Topic

These beautifull GT8 Cars are BUGGY BASED ONROAD CARS

____________ Key words ____________

************ OFF<------>ON *************

Off road chassis on a paved ON road track.

Leave the Engines OPEN PERIOD STOP THE MADNESS.

Sorry got carried away.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by *1speedy
These beautifull GT8 Cars are BUGGY BASED ONROAD CARS

____________ Key words ____________

************ OFF<------>ON *************

Off road chassis on a paved ON road track.

Leave the Engines OPEN PERIOD STOP THE MADNESS.

Sorry got carried away.

Woot! Go Jersey. You always get carried away, but that's why we love ya!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Glad to hear about the ruling. Already got the Picco P9 .21 set up and it runs good. I'm surprised that it has plenty enough torque to pull the extra weight of a buggy chassis.

About clutches again....

All aluminum?
All Teflon?
or
Two aluminum and one Teflon shoe?

Can someone explain what the performance differences is between those three?

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Glad to hear about the ruling. Already got the Picco P9 .21 set up and it runs good. I'm surprised that it has plenty enough torque to pull the extra weight of a buggy chassis.

About clutches again....

All aluminum?
All Teflon?
or
Two aluminum and one Teflon shoe?

Can someone explain what the performance differences is between those three?

Thanks.
Not sure why you are glad about the so called ruling, your Picco P9 .21 will be ILLEGAL.

I am sure you know this but imo Clutch questions will never end, Power, heat, traction & the bionic finger all have a lot to do with how they grab and wear in any given situation so I would just look to see what the “fast guys” are running and adapt. They all work; I run 3 shoe Alum some times 1 carbon. Sorry I did not answer your clutch question as you asked maybe someone else can answer better.

Still AMAZED we had a committee and CLEARLY Voted OPEN Engines and the ruling that has come down is open off road engines only? I without any doubt saw this class getting it in the azz I just didn’t expect this much vasoline.

THE ENGINE RULE IS BS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.