R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #571
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Looking for a new ride for 2013 season , what do you fellow racers suggest. I've been running the K-igt2 for the past 2 yrs.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #572
Tech Addict

Default car choice for 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit-racer View Post
Looking for a new ride for 2013 season , what do you fellow racers suggest. I've been running the K-igt2 for the past 2 yrs.
Hey Pitracer, I'd follow 'Flyin' Hawaiin's' lead and go with the Serpent Cobra GT!

He taught me to get the max out of the Kyosho GT and now I'm getting spanked by the TeamC and the Cobra GT. With the issues I've seen with our racers at some big events involving a weak '1way' bearing on the TeamC, I would chose a Serpent GT. My 'stable' has enough Kyosho GT's to get me the 2012 Utah 'Sportsman' point's series and the Utah 'Sportsman' (aka 'B' Main) championship but I can't ignore Kyosho's stance on their GT series. They consider the GT as an 'entry level' car and won't issue a short chassis 'GT3" with a serious 'fix' for the caster angle problem that is being done better by the TeamC and Cobra GT that are both turning in tighter on me like 'OH MY GOSH'. Kyosho will continue to fall behind until they step-it-up for us.

A big hint for you would be to see the lack of action out of Steve Pond during his tenure as ROAR President and his affiliation with Kyosho.....no rules for GT8 because Kyosho doesn't commit to our class for our 'competitive' needs.

Go Serpent.....I have to but I'll keep my beloved Kyosho GT's....I have 4 sons I have to beat!!!!!!
scary_jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #573
Tech Addict

Default for azeroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeroth View Post
ok stupid question i have a old gtp 1 Flat chassis currently a legal Car and stock except for shocks i want to make a new chassis plate for it 1 mine is bent 2 i want to change to the dm1 bumper and gtp2 front support will this screw me for running in the stock class or would it throw me into open?
I've never seen that kind of change bump anyone into 'open'.....Only if you don't make a 'minimum' weight (usually 3500kgm) or don't use the 'motor rule' for the event.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #574
Tech Addict

Default droop or not to droop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
What are you guys running for Droop and ride height?
I was taught to use a bit of droop but then my 'guru' stopped using droop and went on to become the 'Southwest Champion' (fill in the blank!!!). He also went to Serpent GT but I know the TeamC is kicking my butt.

Try 'a few mm' and try 'no droop'.......it will tell you what you want for 'your driving style'.

I drive Kyosho GT for the present and have kept a small amount front and a little more at the rear since you have to stand a Kyosho on it's nose to get it interested in turning.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #575
Tech Elite

Yes I was leaning that way Scary Jerry. I talked to Andy previously and a couple guys from here in Texas. Just been noticing cars popping up lately and haven't been in the direct loop lately.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #576
Tech Addict

Smile

Quote:
Yes I was leaning that way Scary Jerry. I talked to Andy previously and a couple guys from here in Texas. Just been noticing cars popping up lately and haven't been in the direct loop lately.
I had totally intended on running the Kyosho GT this next season until a 'source' told me about Kyosho's stance on the GT series being more of a 'starter' car that is just is not following through with RACE DEVELOPMENT at present.

Someone on here made the comment about me 'not having a good setup'.......all I can say is 'bring a Kyosho GT or GT2.....name the track...I AM GAME'..

Since I want to be 'serious' about my track time this next year, I'm in serious talks with Santa Claus about a RACE MACHINE....... \>
Old 12-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #577
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary_jerry View Post
I've never seen that kind of change bump anyone into 'open'.....Only if you don't make a 'minimum' weight (usually 3500kgm) or don't use the 'motor rule' for the event.
Thanks for the info it should also help fix some issues that the car has and all the stock gtp parts bolt on and as for the motor rule i run a GO GXIISHO 21 and all i can say is for the price through amain is WOW It leaps outta corners and screams down the straights and is cheap put in a good set of bearings when its time and have fun besides you can put piston sleeve and rod in for the price of a nova rod

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #578
Tech Addict

Smile for azeroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeroth View Post
Thanks for the info it should also help fix some issues that the car has and all the stock gtp parts bolt on and as for the motor rule i run a GO GXIISHO 21 and all i can say is for the price through amain is WOW It leaps outta corners and screams down the straights and is cheap put in a good set of bearings when its time and have fun besides you can put piston sleeve and rod in for the price of a nova rod
I was tempted to try the GO engine.....great motor for the price and it does have crazy performance. The one in 'our club' did have to be rebuilt because of an 'aggressive' breakin procedure but came right back ready to kick butt!!! That motor should let you run with the big dogs or it will show you how much you need to 'step-it-up' on the next engine.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #579
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary_jerry View Post
I was tempted to try the GO engine.....great motor for the price and it does have crazy performance. The one in 'our club' did have to be rebuilt because of an 'aggressive' breakin procedure but came right back ready to kick butt!!! That motor should let you run with the big dogs or it will show you how much you need to 'step-it-up' on the next engine.
LOL no kidding but like any engines good fuel and proper temps and maintanance no problem and a con rod is $16. what more could you ask for i use their short head pipe for the buggy and then the hyper pipe from the gtp2 and it is ballistic for a old heavy chassis

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #580
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Pit Racer - You might think about a DM-1 ........

Many cars around from those who jumped ship for the snake, but there is still life in the car and with a few upgrades, it can be quick very quick, in the right hands!!
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #581
Tech Elite

Guys around here did the same....just that the snake is so much more race ready than the Ofna.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #582
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Coming from 1/10 200mm Sedan and getting into the 1/8 GT class (and having had the OFNA GTP's and DM-1, Kyosho IGT1 and IGT2, and now the Serpent Cobra GT) I'm of the opinion that the Cobra GT is better suited for on-road racing than any of the other buggy based kits. Best drivetrain and suspesnion and no reliability issues. I'm still in the learning stages of what the car likes and have only raced it once (after 3 months of testing and tuning sessions) but it does handle much closer to a 1/10 sedan than any of the other GT's I've owned and that makes it a blast to drive.
SWEEP Tires
Speyederjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #583
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Guys around here did the same....just that the snake is so much more race ready than the Ofna.
That may be true, but if you can pick up a good used car for $150 (and I've seen them) add $150 in parts (that's everything) you have $250 left in your pocket. With the changes we've made the car drives like a rubber tire car on carpet. Settings need to be tweeked for the Houston track, but it's close.

Also just got the first batch of bumpers that are large enough to fit the OFNA McLaren Body, or be trimmed for anything out there. Much better foam. If your interested, PM me.
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #584
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
That may be true, but if you can pick up a good used car for $150 (and I've seen them) add $150 in parts (that's everything) you have $250 left in your pocket. With the changes we've made the car drives like a rubber tire car on carpet. Settings need to be tweeked for the Houston track, but it's close.

Also just got the first batch of bumpers that are large enough to fit the OFNA McLaren Body, or be trimmed for anything out there. Much better foam. If your interested, PM me.

Pit,

I've got my Kyosho IGT for sale and it has the short wheelbase Dragon Racing chassis and plenty of other upgrades if you're interested. LOL!

D
SWEEP Tires
Speyederjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #585
Tech Fanatic

I ran the Team C short chassis car all summer , and it's a great handling car. They do have an issue with the one-way on the two speed that needs to be addressed, but with that taken care of , this car is a strong contender.