R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #511
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman2 View Post
The GT8 cars by design(due to its heavy weight and shaft driven) is SLOWER than 1/10 and 1/8 4WD.
on blue diamond (novarossi challenger) everybody was on fire paolo mogantti 19.5 laps in 5 min uf!!! more than 1/10 scale that mean the gt are grow up

I went and found the resluts. TQ for Gt was Paolo 19/5:08; 1/10 Touring 22/5:09; 1/8 Open 24/5:09
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com

Last edited by Grenade10; 08-14-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #512
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
on blue diamond (novarossi challenger) everybody was on fire paolo mogantti 19.5 laps in 5 min uf!!! more than 1/10 scale that mean the gt are grow up

I went and found the resluts. TQ for Gt was Paolo 19/5:08; 1/10 Touring 22/5:09; 1/8 Open 24/5:09
Am I reading this wrong? ..... didnt the 1/10 and 1/8 get more laps.. 22 and 24 vs - 19 ???
Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #513
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As a committee , the open engine rule was presented to roar. What they choose to do with that is up to them. We gave them what the country wanted. If they make a "list", we will feel confined to that and the cheating that it will bring. If it's open engine , we won't have to deal with all the tech rules , monitoring cheating, and having people on hand willing to and capable of teching engines. Didn't we say keep it simple. Andy is correct in that we as a group won't be using very high dollar engines. They just don't work well in this car.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #514
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clete Landefeld View Post
Am I reading this wrong? ..... didnt the 1/10 and 1/8 get more laps.. 22 and 24 vs - 19 ???
He seems a bit confused But the GT are getting faster with every race.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #515
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneg View Post
He seems a bit confused But the GT are getting faster with every race.
Open engine rule? Somebody will figure out how to get these "big ol' girls" to hook up then watch out
T-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #516
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky 1 View Post
As a committee , the open engine rule was presented to roar. What they choose to do with that is up to them. We gave them what the country wanted. If they make a "list", we will feel confined to that and the cheating that it will bring. If it's open engine , we won't have to deal with all the tech rules , monitoring cheating, and having people on hand willing to and capable of teching engines. Didn't we say keep it simple. Andy is correct in that we as a group won't be using very high dollar engines. They just don't work well in this car.
I am not sure who this committee is but neither I or anyone else I know here in my region was asked to join this committee to present any rules to roar so to me it seems a little biased towards what certain people want. Now I am not trying to start anything on here but it seems that we are never going to agree on the motor thing, therefore I suggest that roar make no decision on motors and let each event decide on the motor rules, this makes it real simple, if you go to an event that has open motor rules then you run what you want but if the event sets price rules on motors you abide by that, in short just let the events decide and enough with the debate, and if you don't agree with the rules just don't show up to race, but there will be no need to bitch about it.
Just my opinion nothing more.
mrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #517
Tech Elite

Quote:
No just did not want the laps with open engines to get out of controll, with a statement that was not correct. I was surprised at how fast the top two racers were compaired to the balance of the field, but we know the Serpent is fast.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #518
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrod View Post
Ice

I am not sure who this committee is but neither I or anyone else I know here in my region was asked to join this committee to present any rules to roar so to me it seems a little biased towards what certain people want. Now I am not trying to start anything on here but it seems that we are never going to agree on the motor thing, therefore I suggest that roar make no decision on motors and let each event decide on the motor rules, this makes it real simple, if you go to an event that has open motor rules then you run what you want but if the event sets price rules on motors you abide by that, in short just let the events decide and enough with the debate, and if you don't agree with the rules just don't show up to race, but there will be no need to bitch about it.
Just my opinion nothing more.
I nominated one to the board that I know did not support the open engine rule, just not sure how many others did not as well, but as a group that is what I am told they voted on.

I believe that we are at a point that the statement that the cars will not hold the power is correct for most club races ....... just not enough cars and prep to let you use the power. However, at larger events, and I've run most of them this season ..... RC Pro in Houston, Fireball in Lincoln, Byrons in Joliet, Timezone in Portland (Paolo made three of these, not sure there is anyone else that made more than 2)...... that the grip at these events will hold the power. We have seen bodies with better down force be used, tires with softer shors and even differnt rims (new one introduced in the last few days) the use of new "Grip in a Bottle" and a car that has been able to put down the power much better. It has attracted some top level racers to go along with the guys that have put GT on the map.

As we get more of the 1/8 open and 1/10 scale touring car drivers into the mix, the lap times will continue to drop. As more companies build chassis for the class, they will want to be faster than the current cars and the war goes on.

I think that VTA and even the Tamiya events have found racers that want to complete on a more fun level playing field, which is what I think the GT8 class was heading towards.

As to open engines making the field level, if you have never run for an engine manufacture, or found a great engine tuner who can get you the power, you don't have a clue how fast you can make a car.

The leveler in off road is the traction. Unless the track builds the "Blue Groove" more power just spins the tires. So maybe open engines and no track prep ........ except that when we want to be at the events for the foam cars, they will prep the track.

So I agree with Mrod ...... let the event set the motor rule, and continue to grow the class. Maybe ROAR could do a recomended engine rule or one that would be followed for thier events (or a new track / event adding the class) ...... just my thoughts, and yes I will be racing reguardless of what the rule is.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #519
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky 1 View Post
I like the restrictor rule that we wanted to have.. easy chessy... But I like to think that the cheating will not be a big issue...
Here's my thought..
We have a list... every one will find out what the best power plant is .. fastest..strongest; like in electric.. one motor starts dominating and next thing you know.. thats the one to have.
I think the same will happen here.. and if somebody is clearly hauling ass, has a funny tone to the motor.. eyes will be on them.. if your caught... you' re done!... We can police ourselves pretty well.. on the local scene we all know each other.. at a national event... ther will have to be a tech guy on hand..
You cheat you get labled and everybody knows what you tried to pull..

Am I foolish in my thought....
Old 08-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #520
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up check this out please!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKrVTocyJCA if you compare gt vs 1/10 a-main 19/5:08 vs 22/5:09 that mean to much just 3 laps diferent, when last year 1/10 was 7 or 8 laps over uf!!! gt going grow up on a speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post

NYRT#4
NYRCC #124
manny021803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #521
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
I like the restrictor rule that we wanted to have.. easy chessy... But I like to think that the cheating will not be a big issue...
Here's my thought..
We have a list... every one will find out what the best power plant is .. fastest..strongest; like in electric.. one motor starts dominating and next thing you know.. thats the one to have.
I think the same will happen here.. and if somebody is clearly hauling ass, has a funny tone to the motor.. eyes will be on them.. if your caught... you' re done!... We can police ourselves pretty well.. on the local scene we all know each other.. at a national event... ther will have to be a tech guy on hand..
You cheat you get labled and everybody knows what you tried to pull..

Am I foolish in my thought....

A list is just another way of saying "spec"

Gt Annual Championship in 2 weeks has 2 classes Expert & Sportsman they both will be "Open" engine. You can only put so much power to the ground with rubber. Also Andy just posted the reasons why Open made so much sense in his letter to roar on the last page. Boooo Yaah

I think you are skinning the "spec" cat again with a different cat or Knife but getting the same result. Besides next year there will be new engines on the market, what are you gonna do get roar to look at adding engines every year?? Thatís funny

You want "easy" leave it open

What real percentage of people are running Murnan Modified Keepon engines in a GT? Are u really that scared?

Letís get past this there are too many buggy engines of all different sizes and brands that can easily bolt right in any GT letís not make it difficult.

Letís all be practical
ABSOLUTE HOBBYZ / Engines Modded by The Nitro Shop
*1speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #522
Z
Tech Master

It really does not matter a whole lot what ROAR does for a motor rule.

As race directors, series directors, track operators, if we don't like the ROAR motor rule, we can change it for our races. Unless you are hosting a ROAR event, you can do what your local racers want.

I was part of the GT8 Board and my hope was that we would end up with a set of rules that everyone could use so that when we travel to other races, everything would be the same.

I did not agree with the open motor rule but, as a group that is what we decided to go with.

At my track, we will be sticking with 5 port motors with a $280 limit.

Z
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #523
Tech Regular

Default GT8 Invitation

Old 08-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #524
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by *1speedy View Post
A list is just another way of saying "spec"

Gt Annual Championship in 2 weeks has 2 classes Expert & Sportsman they both will be "Open" engine. You can only put so much power to the ground with rubber. Also Andy just posted the reasons why Open made so much sense in his letter to roar on the last page. Boooo Yaah

I think you are skinning the "spec" cat again with a different cat or Knife but getting the same result. Besides next year there will be new engines on the market, what are you gonna do get roar to look at adding engines every year?? That’s funny

You want "easy" leave it open

What real percentage of people are running Murnan Modified Keepon engines in a GT? Are u really that scared?

Let’s get past this there are too many buggy engines of all different sizes and brands that can easily bolt right in any GT let’s not make it difficult.

Let’s all be practical
Got it and understood..
No I am not skin'in any cat.. at the end of the day I do not really care what we run for motors... but would be nice if we kept costs sane for the new person... I just purchased a new motor in the $200 range for my car.. and I need to get my open motor rebuilt for 1/8 scale open..
Again, you guys travel and speak to all the racers at each track.. I hope this pans out to suit everyone..

Last edited by Clete Landefeld; 08-20-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Clete Landefeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #525
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

99.5% of new people aren't going to be competitive, whether everyone runs the same boring engines or not. Most new people to the hobby understand this, and just go out to have fun, upgrading when they can afford it and their talent levels allow them. They don't expect to beat some seasoned guy, whether he's got a $100 Dynamite or $500 Novarossi Flash.

There's a good chance that convert 1/8th Onroad and 1/8th Offroad guys are not going to have an engine that slots into these new rules, which will keep alot of those people from even considering it, if they can't run their spare engines.
BrakeTurnAccelerate is offline   Reply With Quote