R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-02-2002, 04:17 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default has anyone owned a Impluse PRO AND MTX PRO

just like to know if you feel one car is better then the other. i want to switch from one to another but would like to know if you feel one car has advantage over the other (handling-breakage-etc). price/cost is not an issue.

please reply if u have switched between both cars or own both

thanks
implusepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 05:26 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

I've run them all,but for the money and really easy to set up the ntc3 is a good car ,but a little fraigle.If your choosing between the impluse and Mugen ,go with the mugen.
wtleadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 05:42 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by wtleadfoot
I've run them all,but for the money and really easy to set up the ntc3 is a good car ,but a little fraigle.If your choosing between the impluse and Mugen ,go with the mugen.
thankyou for your reply.

can i ask why you would go with mugen over impluse? is there a reason?

thanks
implusepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 06:37 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Talking

They're both good cars but I think the Impulse is of better quality. Not to rub it in but in the recent Nationals, Serpent was 1 and 2 in touring. Mugen couldn't get a car pass the "C" main
leefjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 07:42 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I HAVE 2 IMPULSE AND I LOVE THE CAR ,AT MY LOCAL TRACK THERE ARE SEVERAL GUY'S RUNNING WITH MUGEN BUT I REALLY LIKE THE IMPULSE BETTER. THATS MY 2 CENTS
sneezer714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 12:09 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

cost and parts availability!
wtleadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 12:57 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by leefjl
They're both good cars but I think the Impulse is of better quality. Not to rub it in but in the recent Nationals, Serpent was 1 and 2 in touring. Mugen couldn't get a car pass the "C" main
i dont think that it was the car as much as the limited gearing options that kill them on the straight and they loss like 2 seconds a lap
nova racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 02:19 PM   #8
Tech Adept

The Impulse is bult form an 1/8 scale, it was the first nitro sedan that I ever owned and I never managed to break it. If you do break it good luck on parts though. I work for a hobby shop and after our last encounter with serpent to try to get parts we droped our whole Serpent lineup. As far as getting them dialed in all of the race sedans can be made to go equally fast. I will reccoment the Serpent to you just because of the durability and quality, but if you want a car that is just as durable and has a great parts support with lower prices then get the Trinity Reflex. My next pick would be the NTC3 but mine is more fragile than my Reflex, alot more fragile.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 02:43 PM   #9
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Swauger and Mcnally were actually in the B'main!
YBSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 04:17 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Hi, have recently bought the Mugen MTX2 for my son. ran it for the first time on sunday straight out of the box kit setup the car handled very well. My main reasons for choosing the mugen over the serpent where parts availability/cost and the majority of the faster cars at the track seem to be the Mugens.
Hope this helps .
Raw40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 09:12 PM   #11
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Raw40
Hi, have recently bought the Mugen MTX2 for my son. ran it for the first time on sunday straight out of the box kit setup the car handled very well. My main reasons for choosing the mugen over the serpent where parts availability/cost and the majority of the faster cars at the track seem to be the Mugens.
Hope this helps .
I hope you realise that in your case it is not the car but the driver that is the one that makes a lot of difference.

On this side of the RC world, the NTC3s are the ones making the A mains purely because the drivers are much better. Of course, I do not doubt that the NTC3s are able cars.

However, I would agree with you that parts availability/cost should be a main consideration.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 09:18 PM   #12
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by nova racer
i dont think that it was the car as much as the limited gearing options that kill them on the straight and they loss like 2 seconds a lap
Precisely. I think not being able to adapt the car to the track calls for the driver / mechanic being inexperience.

Limited gearing? Isn't the Centax (which Mugen copied from Serpent) also available on the Mugen? <LOL> If any excuse should be given, that should not be one of them especially for a PRO car. Anybody who gives that excuse should be shot
Old 07-02-2002, 09:35 PM   #13
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by JPHRacer
The Impulse is bult form an 1/8 scale, it was the first nitro sedan that I ever owned and I never managed to break it. If you do break it good luck on parts though. I work for a hobby shop and after our last encounter with serpent to try to get parts we droped our whole Serpent lineup. As far as getting them dialed in all of the race sedans can be made to go equally fast. I will reccoment the Serpent to you just because of the durability and quality, but if you want a car that is just as durable and has a great parts support with lower prices then get the Trinity Reflex. My next pick would be the NTC3 but mine is more fragile than my Reflex, alot more fragile.
The Impact is a direct replica of the 1/8. Yes, the Impulse (like all other Serpent cars) are built like a tank to a certain extent that it is overly designed. A diet program is essential if you need to make the car competitive in a race.

As for parts availability, so far I have been happy over here. Maybe because of our LHS here gets supplies from Hong Kong. I was really surprised that the new rear shock tower which was launched on July 1st was already selling in the LHS the same day!! Amazing. But price wise, I would agree that the parts are expensive.
Old 07-03-2002, 12:53 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD

Precisely. I think not being able to adapt the car to the track calls for the driver / mechanic being inexperience.

Limited gearing? Isn't the Centax (which Mugen copied from Serpent) also available on the Mugen? <LOL> If any excuse should be given, that should not be one of them especially for a PRO car. Anybody who gives that excuse should be shot
Hmm, I thought I saw a great mod on the Serpent site was to use Mugen clutch shoes on the Serpent clutch-who's copied who now? BTW, Serpent call it 'Centax', Mugen call it 'Axial', it uses 4 flyweights and is considered the best clutch on the market
Michael_T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 01:57 AM   #15
Tech Initiate

The only thing that killed me about my Impulse (1st. generation) was the wet noodle of an exhaust header and expensive parts. It really hurt to have to buy a single rear arm for 8 bucks Actually, it probably is the best looking sedan and judging by the Ohio race it certainly has the right stuff.
island-guy is offline   Reply With Quote