R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-03-2002, 02:44 AM   #16
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Novarossi

Hmm, I thought I saw a great mod on the Serpent site was to use Mugen clutch shoes on the Serpent clutch-who's copied who now? BTW, Serpent call it 'Centax', Mugen call it 'Axial', it uses 4 flyweights and is considered the best clutch on the market
Best clutch?? I think that's stretching it a lot. The most fundamental thing to know is that Serpent started the Centax clutch and that the function and the working principle was copied. Yes, there was a mod on a Mugen clutch shoe. I don't call that copying. The fact is that we admit and still call it a Mugen clutch shoe. Serpent or Art Carbonnel did not hide that fact and called it something else. No doubt about that.

And that too was a long time ago. According to inside information, Serpent is releasing new graphite filled Teflon composite material soon.

But to all of us, the Mugen clutch shoe is just an option. The original shoe just works fine. No issues with it.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 03:22 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD

The most fundamental thing to know is that Serpent started the Centax clutch and that the function and the working principle was copied.
Actually, the centax/axial type clutch has been around alot longer, just not on rc cars.
Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 03:37 AM   #18
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Novarossi

Actually, the centax/axial type clutch has been around alot longer, just not on rc cars.
Ummm, are we still talking RC related stuff?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 03:57 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T

Quote:

Ummm, are we still talking RC related stuff?
No, just trying to sound smart
Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 11:40 AM   #20
Tech Initiate

Default Re :- Driver makes the difference

Unfortunately weíve had very little experience of the NTC-3 this side of the pond, saying that the electric version has been around a while and is well liked, carries a lot of corner speed, and has proven itself in the racing arena. As for the centax clutch Iím only just starting back into the IC field and can remember how many problems the old type of clutch used to cause 20 odd years ago, I think the centax design is excellent and makes it so much easier to set the car /motor up no matter who first designed it. As for realising that itís the driver that makes the difference Iím afraid that at my age the reaction times have slowed a little but as the car was for my son and he finished 5th in the A main first time out I like the Mugen lots.
Raw40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 04:22 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to David

Quote:

And that too was a long time ago. According to inside information, Serpent is releasing new graphite filled Teflon composite material soon.

Its already released now its called simply the "black" clutch its faster wearing but is suposed to takeup soooooo much faster..
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 08:44 PM   #22
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish

I have both cars but haven't given any a test drive yet. Will post when I got a chance. By the way, does anyone know where I can get this: Car-Kit and travel bag Serpent Grey-black, Part: 1980 (http://www.mytsn.com/products/desc.asp?prid=2342) Please let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (27.9 KB, 59 views)
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 09:38 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to David

Quote:
Originally posted by eddiethefish
does anyone know where I can get this: Car-Kit and travel bag Serpent Grey-black, Part: 1980 (http://www.mytsn.com/products/desc.asp?prid=2342) Please let me know.
they are "in stock" at my LHS here in Australia if you are interested heres there web addy

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~cusmod/
David is offline   Reply With Quote