R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-23-2012, 02:51 AM   #106
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo View Post
...... all the power to you. [ I wasn't intending on putting you down in any way ]. Please do run that Evo+ ...... if you get to your lhs's, there are probably HPI parts for your car or they can be ordered..
Todays .12 motors versus the motors of ten years ago - it's like night and day.. I jus wanted to make sure you didn't misunderstand me . Run what ya' brung. -for a few years ive been wanting to dust off my ReflexNT-charge my batteries and go.
I'd scrolled back.....and I hope your outlook changed for the better- you initiated this thread.
understood. im not much for racing competitively(yet). but there is one thing that i enjoy doing. and that is modifying cars. making them better and faster then what the manufacturer gives us. hence why i like starting out with a base HPI model and getting aftermarket parts for it. even if HPI is not the best for competing at pro levels. im more of a "run what you brung" type of guy anyways

i brought up this thread because 10 years ago when i was really into onroad nitro, i could walk into a hobby store and they would have tons of stuff for onroad cars in stock. they would have all types of nitro onroad kits and RTRs on the shelf. now when i walk into a hobby shop, its all electric or off road that i see. they would have to special order a part if i wanted it.

not only that but back then....you could almost go into any parking lot on a weekend and they would be racing nitro sedans with home made track also. i might buy a truck just for fun....but my heart will always be with on road nitro sedans. its just sad to see that its not gardnering as much attention as it use to.

i did just find an on road track close to where i live that i need to check out. its called norcal hobbies. maybe ill find some enthusiasts there i could run with. either way, im glad to see so much passion for onroad nitros in this thread(even if there is only 30 of us at a time)
donnie707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #107
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Some are missing the point of this thread. The onroad side of this industry has geared itself more towards the pro-side/big sponsored races and have forgotten the club-side and beginner racer. Back when I got into onroad nitro, there were club tracks everywhere in my area. You could buy a HPI RS4 Racer/Racer 2, an OS .12 CV/CVR, a starter box, and an upgrade 2-speed transmission for under $400. Now, most of the good cars for racing competitively cost you $500 just for the rolling chassis. The innovations have been great for the performance of the cars we use, but at what price?

In some areas, onroad club tracks have dried up. Some due to insurance liability issues/parking lot accessibility and many due to lack of support. Many hobby shops don't see onroad as a generator of profit whereas offroad is now the new cash cow. It is easier to sell a potential new customer on an offroad vehicle that you can run almost anywhere over an onroad car that you must have a smooth, clean surface to run.

The main thing is making onroad a little more affordable for the beginner racer. Kyosho had the right thing going with their RTR FW05/FW06 line of cars that were about $250/$300 and with fuel and glow igniter, you were out the door at about $300/$350. But, the RTR kit was not easy to obtain for many hobby shops and some of the parts that broke on the car were not easy to obtain. The car was neat as you could upgrade it to the race version of the FW05RR if you (and your pockets) wanted to go that route. But, it was a good, affordable club racer. The HPI RS4-3 is okay but not a good club car. The Traxxas Nitro 4 Tech is a few tuning parts away from being an okay club car. The Nitro TC3 is dated and I don't know much about the Thunder Tiger RTR equivalent. But, onroad racing will lag behind offroad for a while until more affordable, entry-level cars are produced and another push is made for grass-root, home-grown, club tracks that are beginner-friendly.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #108
Tech Initiate

^you make some very good points jlock. i agree with your first post in this thread about club/parking lot racing. it use to attract a BIG crowd all the time. maybe if some of the hobby shops can get involved or if ppl can just get together and get something going. it would help get onroad nitro going again......
donnie707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #109
Tech Rookie

1/8 GT cars aren't junk. My DM-1 SPEC and Serpent Cobra (in the mail) are a long way from being junk.
Electric and off road are more popular right now, unfortunately.
I think the cost is the same. Go buy an inferno buggy and a competitive set up and then go buy an Inferno GT and set up to be competitive - buggy will be more.

My personal opinion? Off road and electric RC sucks donkey balls - 23rd yr in the surface RC hobby.
OldBourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #110
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
Some are missing the point of this thread. The onroad side of this industry has geared itself more towards the pro-side/big sponsored races and have forgotten the club-side and beginner racer.
Is it the manufacturer or are the people presenting the manufacturers the cause? Most sponsored drivers do have the task to promote their sponsors and help others but if I do look arround me then I can not say that those guys are pushing the sports than only working for themself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
The HPI RS4-3 is okay but not a good club car. The Traxxas Nitro 4 Tech is a few tuning parts away from being an okay club car. The Nitro TC3 is dated and I don't know much about the Thunder Tiger RTR equivalent. But, onroad racing will lag behind offroad for a while until more affordable, entry-level cars are produced and another push is made for grass-root, home-grown, club tracks that are beginner-friendly.
Again if I do look arround me there are a lot of people driving such cars but are not willing to make a next step to run at a track. It has nothing to do with not beginner friendly because most clubs are but is has more to do with the attitude of these drivers. And even when they go to a club for a 1st time most of them are to shy to ask experienced drivers for help and tips.

Once on a Dutch forum the idea from a club was started to organise a race with RTR cars. Over 30 people were interested and would come. Finally the day was there and only 3 showed up.... I tell you, it is the attitude. For sure with todays online gaming the interests to spend time in a hobby are somewhere else.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #111
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I would say that other than the high cost, brushless electric and lipo is killing nitro. So much easier to just plug in and go as opposed to start-up, warm-up, and tune; let alone having to deal with break-in before all that.

However, what is the one thing I like about nitro vs. electric? 30 minute mains and no downtime needed for charging in between heats or mains (if you got bumped).
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #112
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

[QUOTE=YR4Dude;10721312]I would say that other than the high cost, brushless electric and lipo is killing nitro. So much easier to just plug in and go as opposed to start-up, warm-up, and tune; let alone having to deal with break-in before all that.

However, what is the one thing I like about nitro vs. electric? 30 minute mains and no downtime needed for charging in between heats or mains (if you got bumped).[/QUO

Nothing beats the sound of a nitro car going down the straightaway
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #113
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Listening to the two speeds and the sound, smell and everything that goes with nitro is the best. Race cars have engines, batteries are for flashlights.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #114
Tech Addict

Default nitro onroad

Well, since I don't have the 'soccer' or 'little league' or 'garden club'.........

I get to race nitro GT8 tomorrow. We took a poll to see who wanted 'this' weekend or 'that' weekend and the above mentioned activities took their toll.
Fortunately our local race 'guru' will run 'any' weekends. That is good news for my practice.

I don't think onroad nitro is dying, some people are on that different phase of
life's clock. Nitro addicts will make the race action happen.

.....good times in Spooky's Nitro World !!!!.....
scary_jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #115
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

[quote=GMartinez;10721768]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
I would say that other than the high cost, brushless electric and lipo is killing nitro. So much easier to just plug in and go as opposed to start-up, warm-up, and tune; let alone having to deal with break-in before all that.

However, what is the one thing I like about nitro vs. electric? 30 minute mains and no downtime needed for charging in between heats or mains (if you got bumped).[/QUO

Nothing beats the sound of a nitro car going down the straightaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky 1 View Post
Listening to the two speeds and the sound, smell and everything that goes with nitro is the best. Race cars have engines, batteries are for flashlights.

Can people PLEASE stop bumping this thread? It doesnt help when people just starting out see it and think of getting something else because just a few people think its "dying out".

Admin, please lock it...
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #116
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Hi

My thoughts are with the GT cars. Anyone can take their offroad buggy or truck, drop it, stick a body and tires on it, and have an instant onroad car. My friend did that with his, and unlike some of the GT's, it's very fast and corners on a dime (less than 3ft turning radius.) It's almost like having two toys for the price of one.

I used to run electric..it was a way to keep the hand in during the winter months and that was all. I went to a club race last year, got there a day early and the electrics were still on the track.

(One...two....three.....GO!)

(Who turned on all those vacuum cleaners??)

I think electrics are for the lazy. It's for those who like plug and play, low maintenance...deep pockets help too. I can take any .21 motor and make it hum for about as long as I want. Electrics are a five minute experience of having the right esc, batteries, and motor. I don't know...maybe it's like ppl who prefer Harley over Honda, both will get you there but one has a certain sound and style.

I saw the comment about RTR's but I do think clubs should make an effort to include RTR, if nothing else, to let them run in a class of their own. This hobby should be INCLUSIVE, not EXCLUSIVE.

Onroad will never completely die out because of personal preference. No doubt it is suffering, there are a lot of options out there to suit any preference when it comes to racing, from electric to offroad to various combinations of both. But one major prob I see in onroad is a lack of FUN. Too many guys taking competition way too seriously, pumping up the price and aggravation. This is a HOBBY. It's supposed to be FUN. What exactly is the incentive for somebody to lay out huge amounts of cash in order to go work? Winning is nice, but if that is the sole reason someone is in our hobby...they should go find another hobby.

They are trying to bring back pan racing in the Midwest Series. That is a lower cost car, a tad more durable, and still pretty fast...and definitely FUN. I think in the next few years if ppl could get a little perspective and remember to put FUN over WINNING, it'd go a long way toward giving the hobby new life.
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #117
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcharide1 View Post
They are trying to bring back pan racing in the Midwest Series. That is a lower cost car, a tad more durable, and still pretty fast...and definitely FUN. I think in the next few years if ppl could get a little perspective and remember to put FUN over WINNING, it'd go a long way toward giving the hobby new life.

Over the 20 some odd years I have raced fuel onroad, it seems that the best car count and participation always occured when there was some form of two wheel drive class offered whether 2wd Pan, 2wd suspension or 235mm GT. These where very easy and inexpensive for people to get their feet wet in fuel onroad and hone their driving skills ( and belive me 2wd drive emphasizes good driving more than just about any other class).
I wish the Midwest Series well in trying to bring this class back as I think it will be the springboard to get Fuel onroad back to the participation it once had.
www.motorists.org
P2gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #118
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

[QUOTE=nitrodude;10721881]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartinez View Post

Can people PLEASE stop bumping this thread? It doesnt help when people just starting out see it and think of getting something else because just a few people think its "dying out".

Admin, please lock it...
Steven your post did exactly what every other post does
This is an open forum every one has there own opinion
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #119
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

From a total outsider's perspective, who races electric TC, nitro seems expensive. This is coming from a guy with a $500 sedan.

I have friends who race gas, and the tire and engine bills seem intimidating even in sedan. I'm not trying to attack anything, just trying to give you a perspective of someone who would really not have much idea of what was going on besides what I see or am told.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 2wd "Classic" pan cars are really cool - Especially if they use the retro style bodies. That seems like maybe a better way to get people involved. No overdrive to figure out or super engines needed.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #120
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcharide1 View Post
But one major prob I see in onroad is a lack of FUN. Too many guys taking competition way too seriously, pumping up the price and aggravation. This is a HOBBY. It's supposed to be FUN. What exactly is the incentive for somebody to lay out huge amounts of cash in order to go work? Winning is nice, but if that is the sole reason someone is in our hobby...they should go find another hobby.
I've raced both electric and nitro. Both are fun for me but both have the same major drawback. High cost just to be competitive. You can spend $1000 either way and its the same problem with both.

In electric, Rick Howart got Team Associated to bring back the TC4 in hopes of making electric TC more inviting. Novak has helped also by bringing forth their new inexpensive motor and esc combo. And racing is now mostly non-boosted so there are no esc wars.

Nitro needs the same thing to help it come back. There needs to be some sort of venue where inexpensive kits with inexpensive motors can thrive. In the early days of nitro TC, there were many different cars available all somewhat affordable such that you would see full fields of two or more heats of nitro at the local club races. Nowadays, there's only a handful of nitro TCs to choose from, half of which can only be obtained from boutique shops on the Net. Its no wonder why the numbers have dwindled.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote