R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2gee View Post
I was kinda thinking if you traded a Holly Davis for a R1, with the money left over you could get a damn good 1/8 on road setup with spares and have a big ol' 2 wheeled and 4 wheeled good time going VERY fast with both!
I used to know a Holly Davis...she dripped fluids too
CanyonCarverR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #62
Tech Champion

I think streetfreek and no9 are the idiots ....... It seems both of u like to spend your days debating nitro vs electric, on road vs off road over in internet..... ( Boring subject ). Let me tell you : 1. nitro on road will always exist. 2. this thread contains no valuable resources for RC hobby.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:47 AM   #63
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
This thread should be closed off.

It will end up us debating between Nitro vs Electric, or On Road vs Off Road,

To first starter of this thread ; if you cannot afford to play on road nitro, you should go play something else...... go play barbie or lego.
This is why I got a bit miffed.If you canot aford to play on road nitro you should go play barbie or leggo.......wow dude why would you chuck that at someone?...and then the other guy lmao.......wow...It's no wonder people give up on this hobby.
streetfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:52 AM   #64
Tech Regular

Some people just need to get LAId some more.

On the track its always fun among the racers. Maybe this forum is not the way to go. (for some)

Last edited by djiewie; 04-18-2012 at 02:04 AM.
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:20 AM   #65
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1 View Post
Wow...I'm not sure how this got to a point of comparing motorcycles, but ok, I'm your huckleberry. Harley = overweight, underpowered, crap for brakes and handle like a shopping cart full of groceries. Oh, and sound like a broken aircraft radial engine.
Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!
All meant in good fun.
I said I didn't compare myself to you because we ride different bikes,I didn't slam your bike in way shape or form....but you did mine...this what I mean ....you guys thought it was some big funny thing to degrade someone less fortunate than ourselves......And realy dude....you realy think that about harleys.....and buy the way bro I dig your bike......!!!
streetfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:28 AM   #66
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nitro On Road is awesome...but is high maintenance, and not beginner friendly....and, needs an outdoor track (that is subject to weather conditions)
Now, that indoor carpet offers year-round racing (in hot summer or freezing winter) has giving on-road cars a lifeline......added that newbs can get a TT01 spec car going for just over a hundred bucks....are factors that should help the interest in on-road stay alive.
I hope that by recruiting more newbs into TT01 spec, that get hooked and go on to more advanced on road sedans....we can breed another crop of racers to move up to Nitro on road.....down the road.
red7fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hi

I was watching a video the other night of when i first starting racing back in 2001. When i compare things to now, it was RTR cars running rubber tyres and things where alot more simple compared to now. Todays cars have a complex clutch for new comers and need to get head around foam tyres and the challenges this brings with changing ride height, droop etc...

This as well as the cost of inital outlay causes people to either not join the hobby or they either go electric or off road.

Clubs can do a little to try and encourage growth, but manufacturers make it hard when side exhaust pull start engines are a thing of the past. My most enjoyable racing was back in early 2000's but maybe i am biased...

Andrew
Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #68
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nitro forever!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #69
No9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
I think streetfreek and no9 are the idiots ....... It seems both of u like to spend your days debating nitro vs electric, on road vs off road over in internet..... ( Boring subject ). Let me tell you : 1. nitro on road will always exist. 2. this thread contains no valuable resources for RC hobby.
Look this is only a discussion ,I have raced since 1985 in both nitro on road and electric off road and yes there have been declines before with nitro on road but here in Australia it is really becoming an issue with 3 tracks closing down in the last 2 yrs in one state one of which is purpose built.Im not bashing nitro at all and i hope it does pick up again.As for myself and Streetfreak being idiots what a pathetic thing to say simply because you don`t like the subject, your comments have done little to promote the the hobby your obviously passionate about.As for debating over the internet a (FORUM) is for such a thing and if the subject is as in your words (boring) then skip past it as i do when i find subjects uninteresting.

Supported by MRJ RACING.COM.AU
No9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #70
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I hate these type of threads. Think about it, if someone new is thinking of racing gas onroad and sees this thread it might make them choose a different form of RC racing simply becase this thread gives the impression that he will waste his money because its "dying". So we basicaly help gas onroad "die" only because of someone's missguided opinion. No, gas onroad is NOT dying. Offroad has always been bigger because people are atracted to the ability of offroad cars jumping and getting dirty.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #71
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
I hate these type of threads. Think about it, if someone new is thinking of racing gas onroad and sees this thread it might make them choose a different form of RC racing simply becase this thread gives the impression that he will waste his money because its "dying". So we basicaly help gas onroad "die" only because of someone's missguided opinion. No, gas onroad is NOT dying. Offroad has always been bigger because people are atracted to the ability of offroad cars jumping and getting dirty.
+1

Nitro on road is not dying, just get somebody on the stick of an on road car on a track and they're hooked! I'm still a believer in that the way that people will be getting into nitro on road is 1/8 GT.
C-Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #72
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCarnage View Post
That "users browsing" number has been pretty consistant for a long time. Seems like it's the same 30 guys too. I'm not 100% sure it's just a money issue. The young guys want instant gratification. The learning curve is a little steeper with the engine/clutch, but when it's a working well, it's a beautiful thing. I still love hearing the shift to second gear. And for the record, I have a couple of El cars, just don't enjoy them as much.
I have a passion for all things RC, planes, yachts, cars and so on. Nitro Onroad isnt dying, it's getting better all the time. If you want to account for numbers, then perhaps it may be misrepresented but for the most part, if you have a desire to enjoy ultimate internal combustion engine performance, 40-50,000 rpm is where its at.

If you have a passion for motor racing, tuning, physics, etc, a modern on road chassis has evolved dramatically over the last decade and it's better value more so now than ever before.

The challenge is to configure the whole package into a manageable car and convert that energy into motion.

For anyone who loves the smell of racing fuel, the sound of a high performance engine revving at twice the RPM of a F1 car, then one would expect it to be expensive at that level. Add to it a class that allows for endurance racing that involves strategy, self control, skill and experience, a world spec 1:10 tourer or 1:8 is the ultimate in power and performance.

I'm not going to compare it with other forms of RC racing as there isnt anything that comes close imho. Don't be fooled into thinking you can buy the best car and engine and blow the doors off the competition. The top drivers are down into the tenths, if not hundredths of seconds between them. Money wont buy you the win anymore, skill, persistence, talent and experience is what gets you there.

For any father that has young teenage boys, it's the best format for a team. Dad's get to be the pitman and engineer, we share countless hours of quality time together and it's a great place to enjoy learning. Whether it's centrifugal forces, metallurgy, maths, ratios, composite materials and general mechanics, theres a LOT of value in that which one cant teach their kids because the teacher said you need to learn it.

As for those who pose the question why so many people move away from Nitro Onroad, there are a lot of factors, sure it's expensive, but so is RC as a whole if you want to compare it to playing with a frisbee.

So if nitro on-road is dead for you, so be it, but for many of us around the world, it's alive, it's faster than ever and the quality of the chassis, engines and equipment overall is certainly worth the investment if you can afford it.

Please, dont be fooled or mislead by anyone using the word CHEAP in the same sentence where the subject is RC or racing.

h
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #73
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to KDagh1 Send a message via MSN to KDagh1

I haven't raced in a couple of years. I loved my Mugen MTX2. It was sick-fast, however they are noisy and messy. A day at the track dealing with all of that nitro can be exhausting on the ears and the mind.
KDagh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #74
Tech Regular

Default .... Nitro.....

....I like the thread; people are entitled to their own opinion(s). It's the getting out and racing( or simply just bashing our respective cars around )is a motivating factor.This would entail getting the more appropriate parts to suit your needs. ie. #30% vs 20% ,fresh foams , spares-( I was advised to get two of what ever I needed-ie. belts).
I do miss the smel of nitro, and winding out a turbo .12.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #75
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfreek View Post
I said I didn't compare myself to you because we ride different bikes,I didn't slam your bike in way shape or form....but you did mine...this what I mean ....you guys thought it was some big funny thing to degrade someone less fortunate than ourselves......And realy dude....you realy think that about harleys.....and buy the way bro I dig your bike......!!!
Sorry if I offended you, it was meerly an attempt at some good natured ribbing. But yeah, that is what I really think about harlys. If you ever got a chance to ride a well prepared liter sport bike around Infineon or Laguna Seca, you'd know what I meant.
Cheers
CanyonCarverR1 is offline   Reply With Quote