R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #151
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post

If you want to get back, try to pick up a used car thats not too old. Make sure to do some research about available parts support before choosing which one to get.
If... I would look at a something no more than 2 yrs old, even 1 yr old. With a solid racing design. The OB4 was ranked 10th in a top 10 list in RC mag, yrs ago.

I ran my OB4 vs some Serpents on a track and more than held my own, pulled 2nd in one race. But the car was limited in design, I had do get all the mods, I had delrin arms to hold the pivot ballls better, front one ways, carbon fiber.....and as soon as Ofna introduced a new sedan, the support started to wane.

Support is key, yup.
RogerDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #152
Tech Adept

the cost of motor have gone out of control ,how can a yougne person get into hobbie with motor costing 499.99.
LORD SHADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:36 AM   #153
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORD SHADO View Post
the cost of motor have gone out of control ,how can a yougne person get into hobbie with motor costing 499.99.
Simple, as long these kind of forums tell them to get the most expensive engines it will be difficult for them. Most youg/new people have enough with a 300 dollar engine like the basic engines from Sonic and Novarossi.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #154
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Seriously don't get wrapped up thinking you 'need' a $500 engine, for the most part so many can't drive past the limits of a $200 engine.

I was cutting good laps with an on special $99 N12 not so long ago, and Novarossi has done things like re-release older engines recently, 353/08/09 at around $250, with likely more power than many people 'need'.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #155
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Seriously don't get wrapped up thinking you 'need' a $500 engine, for the most part so many can't drive past the limits of a $200 engine.

I was cutting good laps with an on special $99 N12 not so long ago, and Novarossi has done things like re-release older engines recently, 353/08/09 at around $250, with likely more power than many people 'need'.
Thats an excellent point. I used to manage a Hobby shop. I gave beak in lessons with purchase of a RTR sedan, mostly OB4's. I forget how many times someone didnt follow instructions and mashed the throttle, 5-6th tank of gas, and that second gear kicked in, they loose control and crash.

And that was the red head Ofna .12 about .55 horse.

Nova is re-releasing? Cool, I used to love those short stroke 1 horse Picco's and Nova's, they came with a fat con rod, and were good for modding. Didn't take much to get maybe 1.2 horse out of them. Shim the head for 30% nitro, and maybe get 1.3.
RogerDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #156
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Simple, as long these kind of forums tell them to get the most expensive engines it will be difficult for them. Most youg/new people have enough with a 300 dollar engine like the basic engines from Sonic and Novarossi.
Exactly, its a myth that you must buy the most expensive stuff just to be competitive which is not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Most parking lot tracks don't have the traction or enough straightaway to handle even a $200 engine.

Last Sunday at the local parking lot club track, one of us had an NTC3 with an rtr .15 pullstart motor. Strangely enough, that rtr .15 had enough power to run with the rest of us running Nova .12s.

At the end of the day, I was told that my fastest lap in nitro was .10 sec faster than the fastest lap in mod electric. Not bad for an old car, V-One (Double)R Evo with an old Nova NS3.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #157
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've come to 200mm Touring from 1/10 F1 and 1/12 Pan, both relatively simple cars and lots of fun.

Since moving to 200mm I don't think I could ever touch a EP car again, it's the NOISE! that SCREAM! as you're tearing down the back straight, your pit man shouting at you to come refuel, the time and energy required to get your nitro engine tuned, setting up your car (still learning, think I always will be).

It's a complete blast! and it really does make EP seem like a toy, I never had any fear of crashing my 12th Scale or diving down the inside of someone, but in 200mm I'm thinking to myself.. Is it worth it diving down the inside on this corner? or shall I wait to see we're faster in the pits than his pit guy?

My local track is Halifax in the UK which is pretty much 99% Nitro On Road, why? because the hobby shop 200 yards down the road sells primarily on road nitro and is also the Serpent UK importer.

It's affectionately known as the "home of nitro in the UK".

It's a fantastic Club to be part of and it hosts Electric Nationals too which always have higher attendance than the Nitro Nationals, but there's a real die hard group of Nitro heads at Halifax and I just think more clubs could be like this.

I'm running an Orion CRF engine in an Xray NT1 '08 and it's fantastic and didn't break the bank.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #158
Tech Adept

I think for nitro 1/10 onroad to endure manufacturers must be willing to innovate and get out of the mold of unrealistic looking touring car bodies for a while. Give me a 1/10 scale NITRO RALLY shaft driven rtr or kit for less than 200usd and they would sell like pan cakes. Those would draw crowds of the offroad guys into parking lot races or on-road tracks for some "rally cross" action. With a little extra clearance, slightly bigger shocks and some durable all terrain tires you could run these things practically anywhere at a much more economical price than their 1/8 scale big brothers.

At out track we are mostly running electric GT now (1/10 scale with realistic looking bodies)... 1/10 nitro GT is a NO because it would dilute the class, 1/10 nitro touring is a NO because the track is not so big and the 2 speed engines are just too much (and it is EXPENSIVE). But still we know nitro is needed here because it attracts new drivers easily (the sound smoke and smell). We are really thinking on finding a cheap nitro chassis and making our own rallys. We have another off-road location with no big jumps in there so these cars would be ideal (we could run them at both tracks)
Rufus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #159
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus2000 View Post
I think for nitro 1/10 onroad to endure manufacturers must be willing to innovate and get out of the mold of unrealistic looking touring car bodies for a while. Give me a 1/10 scale NITRO RALLY shaft driven rtr or kit for less than 200usd and they would sell like pan cakes. Those would draw crowds of the offroad guys into parking lot races or on-road tracks for some "rally cross" action. With a little extra clearance, slightly bigger shocks and some durable all terrain tires you could run these things practically anywhere at a much more economical price than their 1/8 scale big brothers.

At out track we are mostly running electric GT now (1/10 scale with realistic looking bodies)... 1/10 nitro GT is a NO because it would dilute the class, 1/10 nitro touring is a NO because the track is not so big and the 2 speed engines are just too much (and it is EXPENSIVE). But still we know nitro is needed here because it attracts new drivers easily (the sound smoke and smell). We are really thinking on finding a cheap nitro chassis and making our own rallys. We have another off-road location with no big jumps in there so these cars would be ideal (we could run them at both tracks)
Kyosho has a shaft driven Rally car & it's not selling like pancakes
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #160
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

[rant]
I really dont like this tread, and wish it would go away.. Its kinda like reading the news paper about another housing bubble bursting soon. Just negative media... Do you want nitro to die out? [/rant]

Oh Good news, last year our club had 3-5 regular drivers that would run 1/10 nitro, these year have added an extra heat because we are getting between 8 and 12. On some weeks Nitro has become our second more popular class.

Shawn
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #161
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

From my perspective, on-road nitro is losing out to electric, due to the much lower costs of lipo batteries and the longer life span of brushless motors.

I was surprised, at the Byrons Fuel race, held at Leisure Hours Raceway, in Illinois, they did have drivers from all over the country and even a group that flew in from China.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #162
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartinez View Post
Kyosho has a shaft driven Rally car & it's not selling like pancakes
really? The only nitro rally I know of is 1/9 scale which is not a common scale, plus its a higher price point. They do have a 1/10 scale shaft driven rally but its electric. What I'd really like is to see a 1/10 nitro rally out there.
Rufus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #163
Tech Addict

Is a class like 220mm the saving grace of Nitro On Road?

Convert your 200mm touring car up to a mini 8th scale, go mega fast, make the 190mm Electric Sedans look like slow coaches and enjoy massive corner speed and tonnes of grip..

Whilst the weight limit of 220mm isn't to drop to the stupid 1550g EFRA rule, you can use your current Sedan and not have to save off 200g for 2013.

And some clubs/national series are letting the old 235mm run with the 220mm cars.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #164
Tech Champion

I'm starting to see threads and posts about guys wanting to convert their electrics to nitro - which is funny ha ha... "Another Conversion Thread"..
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #165
Tech Adept

The learning curve in nitro has alot to do with it, alot of people today (or kids) don't want to learn how to tune a car or deal with maintenance, they want to pile on batteries and go fast, set it and forget it etc...

I'm a nitro guy always will be, electric is just to easy and I'm a tinkerer I have to have something to customize, tune, modify, hear, smell, see. all that good stuff.

Even though they are both toys, nitro just seems more of a "big boy" toy than electric.
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote