R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #136
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
And the point is??? What if the race was long enough that you ran out of juice? How much faster would you have to be to make up for a battery change compared to just refueling????

Fact is they are different! The mentality of most of the young folks is instant gratification and do what is the easiest! RTR, not kits; electric not gas; you should get the picture, if not, you never will......
Notice he said he got better lap times with the nitro. The only comparison he made was that his electric was faster on a straight, which leads me to believe that his nitro was faster on the twistys. Also, there was no mention as to what car got better overall results in a race day. I believe what he meant was that in any given lap, with no pit stops, his nitro clocked a faster lap than his electric.

I think nitro sedans will be around for a while yet. So maybe there will be fewer new models to choose from in the future. The class may shrink down but the demand will still be there. I know I will still demand.

Umm, what does overkill mean again?
meno1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:14 AM   #137
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meno1103 View Post
Notice he said he got better lap times with the nitro. The only comparison he made was that his electric was faster on a straight, which leads me to believe that his nitro was faster on the twistys. Also, there was no mention as to what car got better overall results in a race day. I believe what he meant was that in any given lap, with no pit stops, his nitro clocked a faster lap than his electric.

I think nitro sedans will be around for a while yet. So maybe there will be fewer new models to choose from in the future. The class may shrink down but the demand will still be there. I know I will still demand.
winner winner chicken dinner.

I'm a nitro racer forever

http://www.facebook.com/VancouverRRR 🏁 http://www.facebook.com/OvergearedRacing
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #138
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn View Post
not to thread jack, but my electric car WAS faster than my nitro on the straight

Really curious how exactly you determined this.
www.motorists.org
P2gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #139
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

in general the electric will be faster in the strightaway, it's only 2 to 3 pounds lighter...

NITRO BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!the only way do race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YLLIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #140
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2gee View Post
Really curious how exactly you determined this.
With the state of dynamic timing boost on electrics, it's not that hard for them to pull a higher top speed at any given track, Mod or Open electric 'is' the fastest 10th scale car, though use of said power if a factor.

Also consider an electric has unlimited theoretical capacity (no turn limit), and near unlimited fuel tank (just about any size 'tank' or battery), so it's not surprising they have the ability to be faster.

Having said that, it's nearing the limit where near no one can drive to that limit now, it's too high, which is why I believe places like England dumped Open/Mod in favor of a lesser spec turn class.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #141
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
With the state of dynamic timing boost on electrics, it's not that hard for them to pull a higher top speed at any given track, Mod or Open electric 'is' the fastest 10th scale car, though use of said power if a factor.

Also consider an electric has unlimited theoretical capacity (no turn limit), and near unlimited fuel tank (just about any size 'tank' or battery), so it's not surprising they have the ability to be faster.

Having said that, it's nearing the limit where near no one can drive to that limit now, it's too high, which is why I believe places like England dumped Open/Mod in favor of a lesser spec turn class.
So what are they goin to do with nitro motors to limit them.......
Restrictor plates? it would be closer racing....
******2s lipo+8.5T motor+insane gear ratio= happy racer******
Connor B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #142
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpifanboi View Post
Is nitro dying? No. Niro is just shrinking? Yes, in major populated areas and cities are shrinking do to noise restrictions. This is hard fact. I have even seen it in CCNR's written rules. Nitro will still have a huge market and customers but just in more rual less populated areas.
Our club which ran nitro had to take noise readings before we were allowed to race. The street noise at 60 feet was greater than the nitro cars 60' from the track. But if you have the Idiot racer who goes to the track at 6:30am and fires the nitro car off, the residents complained. Now if he had waited until the 9:30 posted time, there would have been enough back ground noise. We normally practiced with electrics from 8:30 - 9:30.

Just have to be pro-active and use some common sense.

If you want more nitro racers, and all the electric guys say how tough it is to set up, offer to help tune the engine and show him and others how to do it. Plus if you have a spare car let others run it. I will almost guarantee that they will have a HUGH smile on thier face after running one.

As to cost, you can purchase a RTR 1/8 GT car for under $500 and you do not need a super smooth clean surface to race on, rubber tires plus pretty cool bodies.
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #143
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Just a tad confused...

About tuning engines....I don't see the prob. Most engines come from the factory any more with a pretuned carb. 3 & 3 almost always gets you a running plant, and then it's just a matter of rich or lean, 1/12 turn at a time, where you need it. Not using too hot a plug, not using too low a nitro...maybe it's just because I've done it for so long but even if I hadn't, the internet is FULL of webpages (if your engine didn't come with instructions) that explain in great detail how to tune a carb. You don't need fancy sensors, you don't need temp meters...decent hearing and a sense of smell pretty much tells you almost anything you'd ever want to know when it comes to dialing things in. That said, sure, I'd be happy to help anyone running nitro with their engine and it's a good idea to help our nitro challenged friends out!
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #144
Tech Regular

Well said.

And electric needs experience and knowing the ropes too.
What battery is the best, how to shimm the brushless engine so to get the most power(very important), how to get the right settings on the speedo, dragging a laptop to the track just to adjust the speedo, what brand additive to use and aply how long before your heat, what tire warmer to use at what temperature, than the normal car setups still to do like nitro, tire shore (12 scale), using a solder iron, using several tire sets on a raceday because the tires will get soft with additives, i can go on and on but you get the drift. Then the costs, well i won`t start, but buying a other/new speedo every year and new battery`s has been the rule when i did electric otherwise you will not be A-main material.

Who said the tin sniffers have it easy. They have my respect and deserve it i say.
But I prefer nitro anytime, compared with electric its easy to get to grips. Love the smell of warm tarmac in the summer, does that make me a petrolhead i did the swap and i tell you best dicision i made both costwise as with compativeness. It takes a learning curve though wich i`m still in.

But i like electric and nitro, i have friends on both side`s if you want to call it side`s, Were all happy Rc addicts

Last edited by djiewie; 05-15-2012 at 02:16 PM.
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #145
Tech Initiate

I dont know if it was mentioned befor in this tread...but I think that the reason why nitro is going lost is that our world is changing. I remember 10-15 years ago on road racing was a bit easier. Today the level is encresed , you have to spend much more time to get a 1/8th scale race car ready for the weekend. And the big problem is that the most of peoples are working harder and more as 10-15 years ago. To much stress and less time for the hobby are the cause.
Than the money. 1/8th are a lot expensive. So with the same money you spend for an 1/8th scale you get two of an other class.
Than is the laws that mostly go to close race tracks because of noise.

Its not so easy for this class at the moment...but there will be always someone with some nitro in his blood and he will race ....like me
Blessed Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:05 AM   #146
Tech Initiate

i started this thread as not start a "nitro vs electric" war....but as to point out how far off the map nitro has gone since i was into the hobby 10 years ago. i understand that some of you who have never left the nitro scene dont see it that way.....but as for me, coming back 10 years later and seeing hobby shops close down and the hobby shops that are still open only carry electric cars(i had to special order my nitro!) has made me questioned where nitro is headed. just open up any of the rc magazines at the stands.....about 90% of it is on electric cars. and the last car action mag i bought didnt have a single nitro car in it! 10 years ago it was the other way around.

im a die hard nitro guy. i will buy an electric car just for fun and ease of use. but nothing beats the sound of a nitro. just wish there were more nitro guys out there to race with. pro level competition is alive and well from what ive seen.....but we need parking lot bashers/weekend warriors for the nitro scene to grow.
donnie707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:25 AM   #147
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie707 View Post
i started this thread as not start a "nitro vs electric" war....but as to point out how far off the map nitro has gone since i was into the hobby 10 years ago. i understand that some of you who have never left the nitro scene dont see it that way.....but as for me, coming back 10 years later and seeing hobby shops close down and the hobby shops that are still open only carry electric cars(i had to special order my nitro!) has made me questioned where nitro is headed. just open up any of the rc magazines at the stands.....about 90% of it is on electric cars. and the last car action mag i bought didnt have a single nitro car in it! 10 years ago it was the other way around.

im a die hard nitro guy. i will buy an electric car just for fun and ease of use. but nothing beats the sound of a nitro. just wish there were more nitro guys out there to race with. pro level competition is alive and well from what ive seen.....but we need parking lot bashers/weekend warriors for the nitro scene to grow.
Donnie...

As much fun it is to run nitro it's not going to grow anymore, That is reality. All the hobby companies are focusing on electric and speed, that's what sells and makes profit. Like I mentioned in my first post. It won't go away, just will be a smaller segment of the the hobby.
Hpifanboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #148
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpifanboi View Post
Donnie...

As much fun it is to run nitro it's not going to grow anymore, That is reality. All the hobby companies are focusing on electric and speed, that's what sells and makes profit. Like I mentioned in my first post. It won't go away, just will be a smaller segment of the the hobby.
+1 Agreed
******2s lipo+8.5T motor+insane gear ratio= happy racer******
Connor B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #149
Tech Rookie

Quote:
how far off the map nitro has gone since i was into the hobby 10 years ago..
Yeah I've been away for at least 10-11 yrs, and Just found out out Ofna is out of 1/10th nitro on road. The economy hurts too, no way I can afford to get back in it right now, though I do have a Traxxa Revo new about 4 yrs ago.

I suppose my OB4 and HPI Racer II with front one ways are way obsolete... LOL
RogerDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #150
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
pro level competition is alive and well from what ive seen.....but we need parking lot bashers/weekend warriors for the nitro scene to grow.
You're right on the money with that comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDee View Post
I suppose my OB4 and HPI Racer II with front one ways are way obsolete... LOL
Yes it is. However, its not so much that they're outdated because it can't run and be competitive, its more so that you can't get parts support for those things anymore.

About three years ago, I was running a Mugen MTX-3. Still okay at the time but already outdated by the MTX-4. I had no problems running it and racing it but the biggest problem was getting parts support to keep running it. I even called Mugen USA who told me to call Nitrohouse who then told me they don't carry parts for the MTX-3 anymore.

If you want to get back, try to pick up a used car thats not too old. Make sure to do some research about available parts support before choosing which one to get.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote