R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-10-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Setup Question

I have tyres trued to 60mm front 62mm and front ride height is about 3.5mm and rear 5mm.

I would like to increase the front, but the track is bumpy if i wind the shocks down it will make the spring harder. I am thinking i might have to try a different longer front spring.

Look forward to reading thoughts.

Andrew
Old 04-10-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Difficult to answer with what you say.

What i would advise is that 3,5mm rideheight is way to little for a 30min final and also for a 5min quali Turning down the spring goes with also the downstops so that the springs have no preload. The ride height i usually do is approx 1mm with bare rims on the car depending on what i want on a specific track with either a change to 2mm at the back or 0mm. On the hudy stands this is approx. 7mm.
The droop 1 and 4mm for starters and adjust according to the track. Little Droop changes has great affect on car handling (With my NT1) so be aware.

Hope this is helpful for you.
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Increasing the preload on the springs does NOT make the spring harder.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

preload does not change the spring rate but it does change the the amount of pressure required to make it start moving

if you have a 1 inch spring with a 2 lbs per .1 rate preloading it .1 would require 4 lbs to move it the next .1

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeroth View Post
preload does not change the spring rate but it does change the the amount of pressure required to make it start moving

if you have a 1 inch spring with a 2 lbs per .1 rate preloading it .1 would require 4 lbs to move it the next .1
If you require more force to move it you change the spring rate too...

The factory spring rate should refer to a spring that is not compressed at all..the preload ring keeps the spring to its position(NOT MOVING UP AND DOWN) but it is not compressing it.

Modern coilover car suspensions adjust ride height without changing the spring preload.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You don't want to put a lot of preload on your shock springs since this can cause erratic handling. On the other hand you also don't want the springs become unseated from the preload adjusters when the car moves upwards.

I normally set up the shocks in such a way that the springs are just touching the preload adjusters when the the car's wheels are of the ground.
When I want a bit more response from the car I sometimes give the springs one turn of preload.

If you can't make rideheight I would suggest changing to longer ball cups or lower shock retainers with more offset.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:33 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
You don't want to put a lot of preload on your shock springs since this can cause erratic handling. On the other hand you also don't want the springs become unseated from the preload adjusters when the car moves upwards.

I normally set up the shocks in such a way that the springs are just touching the preload adjusters when the the car's wheels are of the ground.
When I want a bit more response from the car I sometimes give the springs one turn of preload.

If you can't make rideheight I would suggest changing to longer ball cups or lower shock retainers with more offset.
Thank you DS Motorsport, previous owner is running a different brand shock, I will look into what you have suggested thank you.

Andrew
Old 04-11-2012, 05:40 AM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear View Post
Thank you DS Motorsport, previous owner is running a different brand shock, I will look into what you have suggested thank you.

Andrew
At least 5.5 front and 6.5 rear England Park after 4mm diameter wear.
Add the 2mm wear to the equation and we should be at starting height of 7.5mm front - 8.5mm rear.

You were at 3.5 and 5 rear. your arms have to ride lower by 4mm on the front and 3.5mm on the rear. Suspend the car and if the springs are still loaded then you should lower the arms by unscrewing the droop screws.

With car suspended, the spring retainers should just touch the springs and car should be at 7.5mm front / 8.5mm rear ride height with car at rest on it's suspension.

PS: Also check sway bars havent locked up arms.
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:52 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
At least 5.5 front and 6.5 rear England Park after 4mm diameter wear.
Add the 2mm wear to the equation and we should be at starting height of 7.5mm front - 8.5mm rear.

You were at 3.5 and 5 rear. your arms have to ride lower by 4mm on the front and 3.5mm on the rear. Suspend the car and if the springs are still loaded then you should lower the arms by unscrewing the droop screws.

With car suspended, the spring retainers should just touch the springs and car should be at 7.5mm front / 8.5mm rear ride height with car at rest on it's suspension.

PS: Also check sway bars havent locked up arms.
...and what about the downstop settings then?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:

That is only true if the car is already on the droop limiter (or maxed out on shock length) when you wind the spring down (which would be a bad thing). If the car is not sitting on the droop screws, turning down the collar will only raise ride height and reduce droop, it will NOT change the spring rate at the wheel at all.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
That is only true if the car is already on the droop limiter (or maxed out on shock length) when you wind the spring down (which would be a bad thing). If the car is not sitting on the droop screws, turning down the collar will only raise ride height and reduce droop, it will NOT change the spring rate at the wheel at all.
ah true but if not on the droop screw or maxed on shock lenght you would not be adding preload to the spring

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
ah true but if not on the droop screw or maxed on shock lenght you would not be adding preload to the spring
Technically true but what they are calling preload is just turning the shock collar down for ride height adjustment.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:02 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Update...

I stole a set of original shocks from my brother and was able to get in the ball park with my ride height now. The aftermarket shocks were too short in length, will try and track test it in the near future. Appreciate everyone's assistance...

Andrew