Wiki Posts
Search

bump box pegs, where they go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default bump box pegs, where they go?

hey all, i'm new to starter boxes (and nitro on-road), and i'm trying to figure out where the pegs on the starter go onto the car, so i can adjust them. i have a serpent impact m2. and if it helps, i've attached pics of both car and box.
there are 5 pegs, 3 of which are very short, and have screws on top. then there are 2 larger/higher pegs, shaped like large bullet projectiles and with screws under neath. how do i know where to put them?
Attached Thumbnails bump box pegs, where they go?-boxmail.google.com.jpg   bump box pegs, where they go?-20120329_015146.jpg  
Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 AM
No9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by squillaempusa
hey all, i'm new to starter boxes (and nitro on-road), and i'm trying to figure out where the pegs on the starter go onto the car, so i can adjust them. i have a serpent impact m2. and if it helps, i've attached pics of both car and box.
there are 5 pegs, 3 of which are very short, and have screws on top. then there are 2 larger/higher pegs, shaped like large bullet projectiles and with screws under neath. how do i know where to put them?
Ok ill do my best :you only need 3 ,1 up front and center and 2 at the rear.
The one up front should go in the large cut out i the front of the chassis and the two rear ones should fit between the rear arms .The easiest way is to take the top plate off the starter box and place it over the chassis so you can see how it will fit .The most important thing is the fit to the fly wheel .Hope that helps.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by No9
Ok ill do my best :you only need 3 ,1 up front and center and 2 at the rear.
The one up front should go in the large cut out i the front of the chassis and the two rear ones should fit between the rear arms .The easiest way is to take the top plate off the starter box and place it over the chassis so you can see how it will fit .The most important thing is the fit to the fly wheel .Hope that helps.
k cool. it's a start atleast. good info. the only thing i knew is that the flywheel had to hit the rubber wheel on the box. haven't tried yet, but it looks like the 2 rear pegs will fit between the arms, but should they be against (outside) the chassis plate? also, i'm assuming the 2 tall projectile lookin' pegs should be in front of the chassis, keeping the car from nudging forward...sound correct? thanks man.
also, prob wouldn't have thought about takin the plate off the starter box, on my own. i woulda ended up takin the motor out of the car. your way=much easier. so thanks again.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by squillaempusa
Here is the procedure I have used on all my starter boxes in order to get the pegs set in the correct position.

1) remove the top of the bump box
2) position the top of the box bottom of the chassis of the car
3) put in the pegs one at a time and keep checking after each peg is installed that the chassis is correctly positioned.
4) put the top on the bump box and you are good to go!

sometime you may have to drill a hole for a peg because the suspension or some other component may be in the way.

Lee
Old 04-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I've always used 4 pegs on all my cars. I locate the pegs between the arms and chassis plate. As WC said, keep checking and adjusting the pegs so their is minimal movement when starting your car. Your pit man will thank you!!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TeamCarnage
I've always used 4 pegs on all my cars. I locate the pegs between the arms and chassis plate. As WC said, keep checking and adjusting the pegs so their is minimal movement when starting your car. Your pit man will thank you!!
Great point! I failed to mention that you want to put the pegs in locations that will make it EASY to sit the car on the box and have it located in the proper place so that you can quickly start the engine.

I think many of us have pitted for someone who had set their locator pegs so that it was almost impossible to correctly position the car and get it back on the track after a flame out.

Lee
Old 04-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Definately one of the most frustrating of times at the track is during a competitive Main and the drivers car flames. You scramble to get it and the guys box is a hoopty. Of course, I tried it during warmups, and prayed it didn't flame. Then the guys up there yelling at you to push it this way and that!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Tech Regular

Here's my take on bumpbox setup.

1. Mount engine in car and with a sharpie, mark chassis (on top) adjacent to the FW slot in line with starter knurl. If you can mark both sides it's better but one side will get the job done.

2. Remove all the pegs from your box and pull the engine. Set the car on the box and line up the wheel with the mark(s) on chassis you made adjacent to the FW slot in step 1. Eyeball it into position and push down to get the wheel up in the slot to check alignment. Once you are happy with your position, take the sharpie and trace the chassis outline and/or mark where you want your pegs.

3. Mount the pegs as marked, tight enough to hold the car for a test start but able to move them a little if needed. Mount engine, power up your box and give it a quick bump to see if it's going to work. Make whatever little tweaks are needed and once you are happy with everything. tighten up the pegs and mark their locations, I usually just take my sharpie and trace around them, then repeat as needed.

I like to set mine up so the car can be dropped on the box then hit it with the glo driver and push down. It's a real PITA to have a starter that takes two hands to work. Unless you have a third hand for your transmitter.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Tech Adept

thanks guys, for all the replies. i just finished aligning the starter, using ya'lls method. it seems like everything is lined up correctly. not too hard to do when ya have people tellin ya how to do it. haven't started the car w/it yet because i need to get the (starter) battery, which i will do this weekend.

by the way, i have no pit-man other than myself because i won't be racing. i needed the bump box for a car that i'm only restoring, and it's hard to get parts for. of course i want to run it once in awhile since i hear this car is quite a handful. but i am not skilled enough to race these, other than in a parking lot, by myself. this one's only gonna come out for sunday drives.
Attached Thumbnails bump box pegs, where they go?-20120419_234325.jpg