Wiki Posts
Search

R/C cars and the mainstream media survey

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default R/C cars and the mainstream media survey

If I may have a moment of your time....please bear with me.....

Long story short, I'm taking a class at school which is based around one project of our choosing that lasts All Year. I am doing my research and project on none-other than "R/C car racing" and how to bring it into the mainstream media. One phase of the research is the "survey" part.

I have a few (Yes/No) questions and a very short... "short" answer question that I would very much apprecieate if you all could answer. Any help is greatly apprecieated!

Thanks!

Years in the R/C car hobby:

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present):

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes/No

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes/No

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes/No

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes/No

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby?

if you don't feel comfortable posting on the thread, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks again!

-Chris Woods.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

#1. 30 somthing

#2. 6 years

#3. 6 cars

#4. No

#5. Yes

#6. No

#7. Sure why not- Yes
Old 01-25-2005, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hell, I'll Bite:

Years in the R/C car hobby: 3 1/2

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): 8 ( 2 stolen, one given away, 5 current)

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Not necessarily

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” It would be nice, but not gonna happen in major market tv

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby? 1. CHANGE THE ATTITUDE!! Too often we have an elitest attitude, even amongst ourselves. Just because you can afford the $600 kit, $500 radio, $400 setup gear, $400 engine does not make you any better than the kid that can only afford the RS3 RTR. Take some time to help out anybody that comes to the track, even if they're there to just watch. Also, keep in mind that while these are expensive toys, they are still toys, and they will get broken. Let's have fun with them and not get all riled up if something doesn't go your way. I have been to tracks which I will not race at because of people's attitudes and have seen the last point series I ran in destroyed because a fight broke out over some really stupid stuff. If the attitude doesn't change, this hobby will go nowhere.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Years in hobby: 3 1/2 yrs

# of cars (past): 8
# of cars (present): 2

mainstream: No

Benefit: Yes

Weekly posts: No

Big Races: BIG YES!!!

Awareness: Teh biggest thing I have been part of that brings awareness to R/C hobby, is to have a charity event!
For the last several years, my small town i work in has a local hobby shop that has put on a charity race for the the Burn foundation of our state. Each driver pays the entry fee for the race and all money goes to prizes and trophies for the racers and prizes for the fans. NOW, each racer is mandatory to get at least $40 on sponsorship or donations for his or her car. 2 years ago, we had 19 drivers and we raised just over $6000 for the charity. Race day had the local fire department there collecting donations for the BURN Foundation. There was a raffle for many prizes for the public. Besides that, we had a complete race day for the drivers and people. Having the event in a parking lot is great. Our first year, we had it at a Dairy Queen parking lot and the following year it was moved to the Wal-Mart parking on the main strip. Many, many, people saw the racing and helped raise money.

These type of events help bring awareness to the charities and RC Racing. Overall, more people have got into the RC hobby over the past 2 years in our small town.

Big races are great too because if you live in a large city such as ATL, one of the main raceways can get factory sponsored drivers to come and race. In ATL, Toys for Boys Raceway has the TFB Challenge in September and has had Barry Baker come in and race. If this was advertised or brought to the attention of the public through the media, then more people could come and watch the racing and that leads to more people getting into the RC hobby or racing.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Years in the R/C car hobby: 2 and half

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): 4

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes/No = yes

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes/No = yes

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes/No= no

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes/No= yes

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby? = not sure

Old 01-25-2005, 08:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Here goes:
Years in hobby:20+
Mainstream:No
Benefit:Maybe,It would depend on the circumstances.
Cars owned:Past over 60 + Current 16
Weekly news: No
Big races: No
I do not understand(well i do )why people want RC mainstream,I would like to see a few more people racing,but in all reallty their are alot of people who are really in to RC's that dont want to race,and a few that might want to, but they go check out a race but like spenzalii posted,people started fighting..who wants to pay for that type of BS,If you want RC mainstream and you race,act like a professional,Demand that the race director do something about the cheats,the hacks,With that said,I want about 50 to 60 racers..any more than that you only get 2 heats and a main..
Old 01-25-2005, 09:05 PM
Tech Adept

Years in the R/C car hobby: 4

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): 21

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes/No - no

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes/No - no

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes/No no

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes/No no

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby? nothing

when stuff goes mainstream it sucks, like paintball, bmx, skate boarding, ect
Old 01-26-2005, 05:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Years in the R/C car hobby: 11

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): 3 present

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes/No - No

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes/No - No

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes/No - No

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes/No - Level 3 & 4 events would be good.

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby? In my area we don't need it because we already have to may people racing. Track time is limited because of the number of people.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

1. 30

2. 3

3. 2

4. yes

5. yes

6. no

7. yes
Old 01-26-2005, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: R/C cars and the mainstream media survey

Originally posted by mafiaracers
If I may have a moment of your time....please bear with me.....

Long story short, I'm taking a class at school which is based around one project of our choosing that lasts All Year. I am doing my research and project on none-other than "R/C car racing" and how to bring it into the mainstream media. One phase of the research is the "survey" part.

I have a few (Yes/No) questions and a very short... "short" answer question that I would very much apprecieate if you all could answer. Any help is greatly apprecieated!

Thanks!

Years in the R/C car hobby:

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present):

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes/No

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes/No

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes/No

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes/No

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby?

if you don't feel comfortable posting on the thread, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks again!

-Chris Woods.

1. 14

2. 21/2

3. 1

4. yes

5. yes

6. no

7. yes

8. this one no idea.sorry
Old 01-30-2005, 03:07 PM
Tech Adept

Years in the R/C car hobby: 4

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): 18 total, 9 at present.

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes/No no

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes/No the hobby would benefit from the exposure but I think the racing would become dependent upon the media and loose it's lustre.

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? Yes/No no.

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” Yes/No I think special events (like charity races, regional, national and world events or events like the reddy race, or hitec parking lot races)

What are some ways you think the R/C community can create an awareness of the hobby? I would have to say that the positive attitude Spenzalli was tlaking about, and making new comers feel welcome and comfortable. I think there should be more corporate support for clubs with local speciality races ( for charity ect.) whether it be in promotion, or in event support through funds or by providing trophies and other items.
More consistent comunication and accesibility to the racing organizations (ROAR/NORCA ect.)
Old 01-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Years in the R/C car hobby: 18

Number of R/C cars owned (past and present): 10

Should R/C car racing be brought into the mainstream media? Yes

Would the R/C car hobby benefit from media exposure? Yes

Should weekly club race results be, at least noted in the news paper? No

Should news stations cover “Big Races?” No