Community
Wiki Posts
Search

.18 Touring Car Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 10:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by gijoe64
OS will have some new .12 power plants out this spring. I think that you will forget about the expensive Italian power plants when the new .12's hit the market.
The TR R-Spec was just a filler engine.
You just threw that out there....c'mon give us a little more.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Tech Initiate

OS will have a bit longer life this time ~
Old 01-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Tech Champion

Shiiddzz....... very nice works !!!

Tell me the results
Old 01-25-2005, 11:20 PM
Tech Champion

tell me honestly, can you drive it ? I think it's over power.
And re-fueling time ? 4 minutes ?
Old 01-26-2005, 12:25 AM
Tech Initiate

may have the answer after Chinese new year hoilday
Old 01-26-2005, 12:37 AM
Tech Initiate

I will have a .18 but not this one with perfect modified ...

actually i believe that .12 on 1/10 is enough, balance acts more important ... and as bridgestone said " Power is nothing without control ... " this one is simply OVER powered ...

as it use more fuel & tire or it may let the spur worn faster ... seems those few seconds doesn't worth
Old 01-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Tech Adept

That is what your radio throtle curves and punch are for. Tame the low end snap and give you a massive punch once the tires are hooked up.

that engine looks very nice. please let us know how it runs for you.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Hurricane Sonic
I will have a .18 but not this one with perfect modified ...

actually i believe that .12 on 1/10 is enough, balance acts more important ... and as bridgestone said " Power is nothing without control ... " this one is simply OVER powered ...

as it use more fuel & tire or it may let the spur worn faster ... seems those few seconds doesn't worth
Are those pics of a stock TZ sleeve? or has that sleeve been modified after purchase? And by who? Very nice work indeed!

Last edited by rcosmax; 01-26-2005 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Tech Adept

I don't think these engines would be good for road course racing, but I am planning on dropping one into my GS Vision Pro for a little scale 1/4 mile street drag racing. I think these new .18s with the right gearing will be unbeatable. The .12s are faster and I think on the top end side will still out or at least keep up with the .18s on the track, but in head to head bottom end teh .18s will leave the .12s in their wake. the true test will be for me to run my Vision with the current Sirio evo II and then drop in the OS TZ and see what the out come is.

Bryan
Old 02-03-2005, 02:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello fellas,

I'm new to this forum, I just signed up after reading this thread. I was up late researching my OS .18TZ & stumbled upon this wonderful site. A few things about me, I've never raced any sanctioned events. I mainly just bash around with my friends. One of my really good friends used to be a factory racer for team losi. He's an old man now, but still knows his stuff. Another friend of mine has been into the hobby for more then 20yrs. He's actually the one who talked me into purchasing my first nitro car. I opted for the NTC3+RTR. I figured it was a good beginner car for me to learn on. I've had the car for about 1 month so far & decided before I even drove it to start hoping it up. The first thing I did was replace the .15AE engine (never used it) & install a OS.18TZ. While I was waiting for the engine to arrive I decided to purchase all the lightweight drivetrain components for the vehicle along with the HCR aluminum outdrives & brake hub. I've pretty much upgraded everything that has to do with the drivetrain mainly to achieve a more stable (less wobbily) drive shaft rotation. I have the car set up with 21/27 & 48/54 gearing. Too make a long story short, after reading this thread I just had to put my inexperienced 2 penny's in.

1st: I agree that trying to control any on road 1/10 scale vehicle equipt with the OS.18TZ engine around a track would be a daunting task. Even for the most experienced of drivers. I can personally account for the lack of traction with any type of tire (Foam, Rubber, Belted Slick) The engine produces tremendous torque & power. My vehicle almost instantly goes into a 4 wheel drift the second I pull the throttle, even on foam tires.

2nd: Anyone who doubts the top end performance of this motor needs to buy one & prove themselves wrong. "Once you've done this, proceed to slap yourself for having doubt". My engine is still in the "break in" process, (have ran about 8 tanks through it) and the settings are still ""extremely"" rich. I haven't even really began to lean this motor out. As a matter of fact I think I have only rotated the needle in about half a turn in 8 tanks of fuel. Back to the top end power & speed. My next door neighbor is a local sheriff & grab his gun to clock me the other day. He said the gun read 86mph & my Venom meter read 83mph. I guesstimated the distance it took to achieve this speed at around 80ft. If that speed is fairly accurate, I know theres alot more room to go with that motor. Also, when I took a tempature reading it was only showing 190*F.

3rd: Like I said before this is my very first nitro car. I take very good care of it. It gets a pristine detail & check up when ever I am finished with it for the day. I think everyone here has some valid points in there remarks, but I have to say for the price you are absolutely not gonna find another small block that will compete with this engine as far as raw power! By the time those smaller .12 engines get into the upper RPM ranges the .18 will be well in front. Please exclude vehicle set up though. I'm sure anyone of you could take my car & actually be able to set it up to perform better all around. So imagine that your testing each motor in an identical chassis when contimplating this subject. Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this & I hope my words haven't offended anyone. I am a self proclaimed newbie when it comes to this sport.

P.S.
Someone above mentioned running an RB concept motor. Keep in mind that when the time comes for you to rebuild the engine your parts alone would cost close to the same as it would for one of us OS owners to just pick up a brand new motor with another factory warrenty.

Last edited by Nostrixoxide; 02-03-2005 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:34 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Someone above mentioned running an RB concept motor. Keep in mind that when the time comes for you to rebuild the engine your parts alone would cost close to the same as it would for one of us OS owners to just pick up a brand new motor with another factory warrenty.

This little quote is right off towers web site....

This is the O.S. Max .18 TZ Turbo Engine
and 11L Rotary Carburetor.
This Engine Does Not Include Any Warranty.

here's the LIST price of my RB v12 piston and cyl...

1700-035 90.00 Piston and Sleeve Set-3 Port Rear Exhaust Engines (1 Piece

heres the tower hobbies DISCOUNTED price of a piston for the TZ

O.S. Cylinder & Piston Assembly .18TZ
Add to Wish List
79.99 Late Feb

BTW,the piston is in stock for the RB....out of stock for the OS..nice touch......

BTW,the OS is almost 3/4 of an inch TALLER...amd weighs about 15 grams more....just one more thing to upset the handling and balance.......which I've come to realize is more important than being the first one down the straight.........

Last edited by fastharry™; 02-03-2005 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by fastharry
This little quote is right off towers web site....

This is the O.S. Max .18 TZ Turbo Engine
and 11L Rotary Carburetor.
This Engine Does Not Include Any Warranty.

"Strange a warrenty card came in the box with my engine, I'll have to email OS about this to see what they have to say. As of now I do not see any warrenty info regardin the TZ on there website. Thank you for bringing to my attention".

here's the LIST price of my RB v12 piston and cyl...

1700-035 90.00 Piston and Sleeve Set-3 Port Rear Exhaust Engines (1 Piece

heres the tower hobbies DISCOUNTED price of a piston for the TZ

O.S. Cylinder & Piston Assembly .18TZ
Add to Wish List

"I solely do not rely strictly on Tower hobbies for all my RC needs".

79.99 Late Feb

BTW,the piston is in stock for the RB....out of stock for the OS..nice touch......

BTW,the OS is almost 3/4 of an inch TALLER...amd weighs about 15 grams more....just one more thing to upset the handling and balance.......which I've come to realize is more important than being the first one down the straight.........
"I was unaware of the height difference in the engines. I'm sure this does effect the CG. However when you are running a wider tire then 26mm any loss in the CG is regained. Also, whatever additional weight the OS is carrying is made up 10 fold with the additional power".

I appriciate your comments, but like I mentioned before I do not race any sanctioned events & I am unfamiliar with the rules except for the engine size restriction one. it's my understanding they are limited to .12 engines but will allow the use of a stock .15 engine if the vehicle was equipt with it from the factory. It is also my understanding that if you decide to replace the .15 engine with anything other then the stock unit you must purchase a ROAR legal .12 sized engine. I am totally out of tune with the racing community & some of this info I have written may be incorrect. I am only stating what I have heard and read about it.

I have heard nothing but good things about RB engines & would be more then willing to try one out when I before more familiar with nitro vehicles. But as of right now, I'm kinda stuck on the whole raw power kinda thing. I'm more into drag racing with my friends for braging rights if anything other then just testing my manhood

If anyone knows of a more powerful .18 then the OSTZ then please stop bogarding the information. I would love to get my hands on a small block engine that can produce 5hp if there is one on the market or should I say in existance. As of right now I'm kinda stuck with using what I can locate at my LHS or online.
Once I can learn to drive my car better in circles is when I will probably decide to buy a high dollar Italian plant. Personally I am fond of Collari engines. I'm sure there are tons of opinions about these engines, but I personally am impressed with the craftsmenship. I have alot of knowledge about machine work & metel polishing & highly respect the manufactures of high end products. But I do respect value & reliability, thats why at this stage in my nitro knowledge I decide to use the OS power plant in my vehicle. I figure once I can learn to give it a proper tune & figure out how to control the massive amount of power it supply's then I should have no problems controlling the vehicle with a less abrasive engine installed. Once again I ask anyone forgiveness if the info I have posted or any of the words I have used have offended anyone. I'm just like the next guy, always looking for more knowledgable people to learn from.

Last edited by Nostrixoxide; 02-03-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

Very well said. The .12 racing class is in no way threatened by an .18 engine or an .18 class. As yet the .18 engines are a fun engine with no uniformed class(to my knowledge) and as such cant and wont be used for sanctioned (onroad) racing.

I use an OS .12TR tuned engine for practice but I race with an IDM .12 3 port. The IDM is around 500 clams. the OS .12 tr is around 150. A full rebuild set on the IDM is about 250$ to my house in Japan. The IDM screams. it is ballistic and it lets me quickly make up a mistake that would take me laps to fix with a slower engine. Is this extra bit of speed worth it? the extra 350$ dollars? Is there 350$ more speed or 350$ more life? nope. But I use it so I can be amoung the quick guys at the front of the race. (the same reason most guys/gals run expensive mills)

That being said I would love to see OS or any manufacturer release an engine that is affordable and can hang up at the front of the pack. As yet this new OS TZ .18 is a big step in achieving big power at a lower price. Granted this is not a legal motor, but it does blow away other motors in its class. If OS is using this motor as a mission statement to what they intend to bring to the engine market in the future then I am very happy. I have a few friends that work for OS here in Japan and they have mentioned this is the direction OS wants to head in. Quality product at a decent cost.

I just think we should try and avoid saying a company cant or wont ever be able to compete because it isnt a big itallian name manufacturer. Some people buy designer clothes because of the name some because of the fit. I for one would rather have clothes that fit instead of ones that have a flashy label and a fancy name. If i can find something that performs well and is worth my dollar then I buy it regardless of name. Not that OS has a bad name.....in fact I think they are amoung the most reliable out there.

my .02$
Old 04-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

nevermind......TBB member anyway.

Last edited by Rookie Solara; 04-15-2005 at 11:54 AM.