R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-10-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default KO Propo RSx one10 stopped working

i was wondering if anyone can help me out here.

i have recently purchased 2 ko propo RSx one 10 servos to use in an MTX5. i specifically purchased these as they can run with lipo packs.

i am using the following gear:
mars r with spectrum receiver
spectrum micro reciever
protech 7.4m 1300mah lipo
i was using a novak 6v regulator, but removed it

i initially installed the two servos and they worked fine with the novak regulator. I then removed the regulator and they continued to work fine.
then i bundled the cables tight to fit in between the tank and the servo on the mtx5. I pulled the cables around a bit to make everything fit then when i went to connect the servos for a final install....nothing worked

has anyone else had this sort of problem before?

the only thing i can think of is the cables have somehow become cut either from the tight bundling up, or being folder over the case to fit into the mtx5. I have folded over my other ko propo servo in the same manner and it has worked without an issue in the mtx5.

also i tested my gear minus the regulator with a futaba s9551 and a sanwa vz and they both work without a regulator. i also changed batteries to check this and my other servos work also.

what i have noticed is when i connect the RSx one10 servos they warm up a little on the bottom, as if there is voltage goign through the circuitry, but the servo horn can be moved with the hand, and shows no sign of life

is it possible that the positive and negative cables are ok but the signal cable (white one) is cut or something???
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Since they are brand new I suggest sending them in and getting them repaired/replaced.
You could solder some new wires to the board, but if this doesn't fix the issue you basically lost your guarantee since you opened them and modified them.

Also I wouldn't suggest cramping all the wires into the receiver box, it can cause glitching and you risk damaging the wiring. I rather mount my receiver out in the open with all the wiring shortened than to cram everything inside a box.

Btw, I hope this isn't a general issue with the new servo because I've got 4 on the way.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
Since they are brand new I suggest sending them in and getting them repaired/replaced.
You could solder some new wires to the board, but if this doesn't fix the issue you basically lost your guarantee since you opened them and modified them.

Also I wouldn't suggest cramping all the wires into the receiver box, it can cause glitching and you risk damaging the wiring. I rather mount my receiver out in the open with all the wiring shortened than to cram everything inside a box.

Btw, I hope this isn't a general issue with the new servo because I've got 4 on the way.
cheers. i have emailed ko propo Japan and USA. I can't really enquire with the Aussie distie as i didn't buy them from Australia as the price was significantly higher here in Oz compared to Japan ($100 per servo more expensive, forgot to mention the aussie quote was with the alloy top case included. i purchased it from japan without the alloy case).

these servos should work fine with a lipo (they are designed for them), so the only thing i can imagine that happened was the wire got damaged when i bent them to fit into the mtx5 servo mounts and chassis

i did open one of the servos up from the bottom (didn't take it apart), there didn't seem anything wrong with it

Last edited by TomB; 03-10-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
cheers. i have emailed ko propo Japan and USA. I can't really enquire with the Aussie distie as i didn't buy them from Australia as the price was significantly higher here in Oz compared to Japan ($100 per servo more expensive).

these servos should work fine with a lipo (they are designed for them), so the only thing i can imagine that happened was the wire got damaged when i bent them to fit into the mtx5 servo mounts and chassis

i did open one of the servos up from the bottom (didn't take it apart), there didn't seem anything wrong with it
Ko propo Japan has good service and replies fast.

You could check the wiring for any kinks, or flat spots. If one of the wires has been damaged you should be able to feel it.
When the servo has shorted or any other damage to the board or motor you should be able to smell or see it. If it looks normal there is a high chance the signal wire has been damaged like you thought so yourself.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
Ko propo Japan has good service and replies fast.

You could check the wiring for any kinks, or flat spots. If one of the wires has been damaged you should be able to feel it.
When the servo has shorted or any other damage to the board or motor you should be able to smell or see it. If it looks normal there is a high chance the signal wire has been damaged like you thought so yourself.
i've moved the cable to see if i can find any spots that feel broken, i can't seem to find any, but in saying this, you never know. It's possible that if there was a cut in the cable it occured in the section that exits the servo as this part was folded back onto the case.