R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #31
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Keeper View Post
gum in the engine is really bad it can cause the motor to seize up
Used to used Orion, the syn oil broke down into gum and hummed to much then sieze up. But Tornado did gum as well, but only I can see it gums on the side of piston, and very little.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #32
Tech Addict

Quote:
i think you can get vpracing RC3 in hk there is an importer there...
Well, the importer always change the merchandises, may be imported long time ago once, I don't see any RC3 fuel in HK in these 2 yrs.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #33
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebone View Post
I'm currently running Tornado, engine internally turning yellow in conrod and plug surrounding, but the rest of internally is slightly greasy like sticking with.

Yes, most of racers brought the wrong coz we have not much choices in HK.
i would be looking for a different fuel and see if there is any difference after the motor is cleaned.
The_Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Quote:
Well, the importer always change the merchandises, may be imported long time ago once, I don't see any RC3 fuel in HK in these 2 yrs.
rc3 is a castor oil... they do make a fuel but i dont know what it is called
Old 02-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #35
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Used to used Orion, the syn oil broke down into gum and hummed to much then sieze up. But Tornado did gum as well, but only I can see it gums on the side of piston, and very little.
if you don't use after run what you might find happens is you get some yellow spots on the metal parts. It can be caused by the dye in the fuel (if it is yellow) or the oil and or methanol that is left behind.

The gum would be the residue of the castor oil. All good fuel uses de gummed castor oil. Don't use any castor oil except the de gummed type.

always use after run and don't be afraid to run a fair bit of after run through the engine.

If you can't get castor oil, get the novarossi castor oil. the novarossi distributor should be able to get it. The importer of tornado fuel should be able to bring in a few cans of tornado castor oil also, ask them to bring it in for you
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:44 AM   #36
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
if you don't use after run what you might find happens is you get some yellow spots on the metal parts. It can be caused by the dye in the fuel (if it is yellow) or the oil and or methanol that is left behind.

The gum would be the residue of the castor oil. All good fuel uses de gummed castor oil. Don't use any castor oil except the de gummed type.

always use after run and don't be afraid to run a fair bit of after run through the engine.

If you can't get castor oil, get the novarossi castor oil. the novarossi distributor should be able to get it. The importer of tornado fuel should be able to bring in a few cans of tornado castor oil also, ask them to bring it in for you
i have been using rc3 castor oil as after run for years.quality CASTER Oil does not cause rust...

the other good after run is singer oil an all purpose oil . can get it from any supermarket in australia
Old 02-20-2012, 04:20 AM   #37
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Good fuel won't solve poor maintenance

I get laughed at when I spend 20-30 minutes after a meeting pulling down my flushing the engine, cleaning it dry, carefully wiping down my piston, mildly polishing the button and piston of combustion resdue, adding two drops of after run on the bearings and mildy lubricating the other components and putting it all back together, with the heat sink fins and carby cleaned and ready for the next outing.

For anyone that cares for their equipment, you may appreciate why, for the rest, you are all welcome to keep laughing. It allows me to inspect, clean and remove the combustion residue and gives you a better understanding of how well your engine is performing.

After run on the starter wont remove the castor oil from the bearings, it will burn up the methanol/nitro in the crank and the rest sits gummming up the engine's bearings and crank.

We use AT Racing Platinum (Pineapple Juice), it's one of the cleanest combusting fuels, even the fuel connoisseurs use it nowadays as it's mixed with the best ingredients and while it burns well, not cleaning and flushing the bearings of the residue will eventually lead to the same result, a gummy engine.

As per Wiki,

Quote:
Castor oil has better low temperature viscosity properties and high temperature lubrication than most vegetable oils, making it useful as a lubricant in jet, diesel, and race car engines.[41] However, castor oil tends to form gums in a short time, and its use is therefore restricted to engines that are regularly rebuilt, such as race engines.

Uses in early aviation and aeromodelling

Castor oil was the preferred lubricant for rotary engines, such as the Gnome engine after that engine's widespread adoption for aviation in Europe in 1909. It was used almost universally by the rotary engined Allied aircraft in World War I. Germany had to make do with inferior ersatz oil for its rotary engines, which resulted in poor reliability.

The methanol-fuelled glow plug engines used for aeromodelling, since their adoption by model airplane hobbyists in 1948, have used varying percentages of castor oil as a dependable lubricant. It is highly resistant to degradation when the engine has its fuel-air mixture "leaned out" for maximum engine speed. Gummy residues can still be a problem for aeromodelling powerplants lubricated with castor oil, however, usually resulting in eventual ball bearing replacement when the residue builds up too much within the engine's bearing races. One British manufacturer of sleeve valved four stroke model engines has, however, stated the "varnish" created by using castor oil in small percentages can improve the pneumatic seal of the sleeve valve, improving such an engine's performance over time.
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:47 AM   #38
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
i have been using rc3 castor oil as after run for years.quality CASTER Oil does not cause rust...

the other good after run is singer oil an all purpose oil . can get it from any supermarket in australia

no, no of course. I didn't say it causes rusting, i said it can cause the yellowing of the metal parts some times.

agree, i've used the singer oil before also when in need. I use automatic transmission fliud as after run. I've been using this since i started racing and never had a problem with failed bearings, or gumming up.

I run my engine dry on the starter box, then flush it through with some transmission fluid. works a treat. I've had engines sit in a bag for months using this method, and when i've opened them up i've never found rust or a gummy bear bearing
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 AM   #39
Tech Master

Quote:

i use auto transmmision fluid,so far so good.
kyosho malaysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #40
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post

You mean the Nova 1N1 extra castor?
Old 02-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #41
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosho malaysia View Post
i use auto transmmision fluid,so far so good.
Me also, using ATF as after run, altough the smell like shit when start the engine next time.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #42
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
You mean the Nova 1N1 extra castor?
Yes, great stuff though expensive.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:22 AM   #43
Tech Regular

if you look after your motor you don't have to replace any bearings ..
i have a 2008 353 TUNED novarossi still going hard at 20L and it is still on there original bearings....rod changed every 5L.... use good quality fuel and look after them they will just keep on going......

PS modern high quality caster does not gum up motors.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #44
Tech Master

how about add 1-2 percent of 2T(bike use) into nitro fuel,would it better for lubrication.
kyosho malaysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #45
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosho malaysia View Post
how about add 1-2 percent of 2T(bike use) into nitro fuel,would it better for lubrication.
You can use Shell Racing M oil, it's a gokart oil which is castor based and suitable to use with alcohol based fuels.
Personally I also had good results with ELF HTX 909 oil and Xeramic competition oil.

When I breakin engines I add 10% oil to the first 800cc and 5% to the second 800cc.