Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree99Likes

Serpent Cobra GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Question my stock motor finally starting to feel good running pretty good but still not shifting I have leaned it out but I am fairly new to nitro but followed all the guides on here and basically wondering if it could be cause got the rtr and need to put stiffer springs and all that I have a bunch of upgrades for it but wanted to get it running well first and at point where I wanted more do all the suspension and all that but if I have to pull motor and work on clutch maybe just strip car and do full reset. What you guys think?
Old 04-25-2017, 06:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

adjust the 2 spd clutch, back the screws out 1/4 turn.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:05 PM
Tech Adept

Hi mantis works so this morning I attempted to get to the clutch ran into a hickup and realized I needed a tool to get flywheel off I didn't have. I did replace the 3 part springs to 1.0mm ones it helped but I ordered tool will try that as soon as I get it. Also you are the guy who does rc shox website right? I'm gonna order the flo control gt spec pistons and the motor mount heard great things!! Is there a spring rate and oil weight you suggest? Thanks for reply as well really appreciate the help!!
Old 04-25-2017, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

What size is the clutch, If I want to get a third party clutch like a REDS.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:25 PM
Tech Adept

Not really looking for new clutch I don't think more ideas on adjusting to work correctly
Old 05-05-2017, 10:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by teo1213
Not really looking for new clutch I don't think more ideas on adjusting to work correctly
Today I got the flywheel off and I installed the 4 shoe clutch and flywheel on my motor but now the bell is tight it spins but lot of drag compared to the old 3 shoe one it came with. Am I suppose to use a different bell with the 4 shoe? I also adjusted clutch 1/4 turn out on the center diff. But don't want to run it if gonna mess stuff up due to clutch being so tight.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Rtr

Set you a pm call me about you RTR got some in site on them we are racing them.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Why would the 2 speed rotate gears only and not the outdrives???
Old 05-05-2017, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Default No Go

Originally Posted by petersen114
Why would the 2 speed rotate gears only and not the outdrives???
Are you talking 'under engine power'? If that's the case I'd explore 'one way bearing' ......SHOT.....or in backwards.
If, with engine OFF.....you roll car backwards.....does that motion drive your gears.....?? That's normal.

Did you put some kind of lube other than 'one way bearing lube' on the shaft or bearing ??

Last edited by scary_jerry; 05-05-2017 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Omit
Old 05-05-2017, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
Are you talking 'under engine power'? If that's the case I'd explore 'one way bearing' ......SHOT.....or in backwards.
If, with engine OFF.....you roll car backwards.....does that motion drive your gears.....?? That's normal.

Did you put some kind of lube other than 'one way bearing lube' on the shaft or bearing ??
Yes, under power. It would do it on and off. If I goosed the throttle it would do it instantly. Slower speeds no. The 2 speed is brand new and it is the first use of it.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

Default No Go

Yes, under power. It would do it on and off. If I goosed the throttle it would do it instantly. Slower speeds no. The 2 speed is brand new and it is the first use of it.
Okay......been there!

I've seen that happen. I was told to gently wipe out 'one way bearing' and reinstall and I was also asked why I didn't know I was supposed to put a drop of 'one way bearing oil' on it. I thought a new bearing was ready to go but..... I ran a Kyosho car for 3 years without touching it before it died.
I've seen that more than once and it gets frustrating when it starts doing that on your race pit stops leaving the pits !! Get personal with your 'one way bearing' try gently wiping-reassembling. (order some one-way bearing oil)
petersen114 likes this.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Okay......been there!

I've seen that happen. I was told to gently wipe out 'one way bearing' and reinstall and I was also asked why I didn't know I was supposed to put a drop of 'one way bearing oil' on it. I thought a new bearing was ready to go but..... I ran a Kyosho car for 3 years without touching it before it died.
I've seen that more than once and it gets frustrating when it starts doing that on your race pit stops leaving the pits !! Get personal with your 'one way bearing' try gently wiping-reassembling. (order some one-way bearing oil)
Thanks for the advice. I am putting the V1 2-speed back in for time being. Never had this issue before. My Ofna 2 speeds (at least the cam versions) worked flawless and still do. I called Amain and talked to them about it. I stressed the idea if the one way bearing cuz to me that's the only thing other than the 5x5 pins which I checked and was goot. Amain gave me Paul's number at Desoto so I guess I will call them on Monday.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:10 PM
Tech Addict

Default No Go

Thanks for the advice. I am putting the V1 2-speed back in for time being. Never had this issue before. My Ofna 2 speeds (at least the cam versions) worked flawless and still do. I called Amain and talked to them about it. I stressed the idea if the one way bearing cuz to me that's the only thing other than the 5x5 pins which I checked and was goot. Amain gave me Paul's number at Desoto so I guess I will call them on Monday.
Do you remember if the trans clutch springs 'dropped' into the shoes without having to push them past 'friction' ? I had to use springs from another source because the kit springs were more like a 'friction' fit than easy drop in. I fought that for a long time. I know now to check for that interference and gently ream the shoe if necessary or use my magic springs !! Once you fix the bugs, you'll love that car. By working on it you'll get that 'symbiosis' !! 😎
Old 05-05-2017, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Do you remember if the trans clutch springs 'dropped' into the shoes without having to push them past 'friction' ? I had to use springs from another source because the kit springs were more like a 'friction' fit than easy drop in. I fought that for a long time. I know now to check for that interference and gently ream the shoe if necessary or use my magic springs !! Once you fix the bugs, you'll love that car. By working on it you'll get that 'symbiosis' !! 😎
They dropped right in fine, but they were kind of distorted looking when I pulled the 2-speed apart for inspection.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:31 PM
Tech Addict

Default No Go

They dropped right in fine, but they were kind of distorted looking when I pulled the 2-speed apart for inspection.
I'd say 'BINGO'......it's good that you noticed that detail. Screws may have gotten tightened too tight and deformed springs to the point of 'hanging up' in their 'bores'. I'd replace springs and go easy on the 'tighten all the way in' part of it. Then enjoy a properly working transmission!! 😎
petersen114 likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.