Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Serpent Cobra GT >

Serpent Cobra GT

Like Tree99Likes

Serpent Cobra GT

Old 09-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by chicky03
Sorry for the trouble, I will send you as PM but If you dont see it please send me an email and I'll get your problems resolved. [email protected]
yeah im sure you will sales rep... lol

Isnt the RTR 2 speed exactly the same as the kit 2 speed anyway?
I just tried putting the screws in bit by bit, still not shifting, so put them back out and will try again... ALthough when taking it apart i did notice very slight scratch marks on the 2 speed shoes... maybe this is a sign of things to come?!
Old 09-03-2015, 05:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eb4buggy_GT

I just tried putting the screws in bit by bit, still not shifting, so put them back out and will try again... ALthough when taking it apart i did notice very slight scratch marks on the 2 speed shoes... maybe this is a sign of things to come?!
Every 2 speed I have ever used is adjusted by screwing the screws all the way in, and you adjust it by unscrewing the screw a bit a time until it shifts, they usually have a range at which it begins shifting for each car. If you're doing it backwards what is happening is that its shifting right away, the car is always in 2nd gear. Im sure someone will chime with information on how many turns out( from bottom) the screws have to be for it to shift.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You have a rep offer to help and you make some lude remark and laugh? Some piece of work I must say.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 22dasher
You have a rep offer to help and you make some lude remark and laugh? Some piece of work I must say.
i highly doubt it
Old 09-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have been running my RTR for 2 seasons now without any of those problems! I have upgraded the heck out of it to get it competitive with other cars in my area! ( pro kits) it will be awesome if you keep up your normal maintenance. Just my two cents!!!
Old 09-03-2015, 10:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by vta4life
I have been running my RTR for 2 seasons now without any of those problems! I have upgraded the heck out of it to get it competitive with other cars in my area! ( pro kits) it will be awesome if you keep up your normal maintenance. Just my two cents!!!
Good news i got the 2 speed working, had to turn it out 7 whole turns i found, even then it shifted late but at least its finally working, only thing now is the brakes and other shit...
Still not happy with this car though, this was supposed to be my way back into rc racing, all its done is put me off again. And i dont need Mr sales rep from serpent trying to re-assure me - just like how sellers on ebay reply to their negative feedback, trying to shut you up before you start trashing talking their product lol. (He probably would of just told me to read my manual). I will stick with it and get it running (eventually) Im just annoyed that ive wasted all this time and in the end result to a forum, on what was supposed to be a high end rtr GT that apparently didnt need any upgrades (to function normally). Its a great way for a multi-million dollar industry to DETER people from this hobby... by selling shit RTR's... i think its a shame, but i know more people who quit the hobby than i do who actually race, because of crap like buying a new RTR and being told it works fine by everyone who recommended it and they get sick of fixing it. Lesson learned - cheaper and easier to spend more on a kit i think
Old 09-03-2015, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)

The serpent Gt is a good car
Be it kit or rtr. RTR means it has been built but it has not been run. So I suggest getting some instructions and get a Morganti setup and start from there.
There is still some trial and error before you get it right that is why I like a kit because I build it myself to the setup I want. Even if RTR i suggest breaking it down and building yourself.

About 2 speed the instructions in the kit says screw all the way in and unscrew 5 turns out. This is not a standard it is just a starting point because it will also depend on your motor and clutch. Hope this helps

And yes, a kit will be better than rtr
Old 09-04-2015, 07:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Good news i got the 2 speed working, had to turn it out 7 whole turns i found, even then it shifted late but at least its finally working, only thing now is the brakes and other shit...
Still not happy with this car though, this was supposed to be my way back into rc racing, all its done is put me off again. And i dont need Mr sales rep from serpent trying to re-assure me - just like how sellers on ebay reply to their negative feedback, trying to shut you up before you start trashing talking their product lol. (He probably would of just told me to read my manual). I will stick with it and get it running (eventually) Im just annoyed that ive wasted all this time and in the end result to a forum, on what was supposed to be a high end rtr GT that apparently didnt need any upgrades (to function normally). Its a great way for a multi-million dollar industry to DETER people from this hobby... by selling shit RTR's... i think its a shame, but i know more people who quit the hobby than i do who actually race, because of crap like buying a new RTR and being told it works fine by everyone who recommended it and they get sick of fixing it. Lesson learned - cheaper and easier to spend more on a kit i think
DeSoto Racing reps are very helpful, Im sure he would have helped you fix for problems.

Last edited by nitrodude; 09-04-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Is there a good set up sheet using 0 degree caster and version 1 diffs?
Most sheets list the 10 degree blocks. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

So let's get this right......... you were having issues with your RTR so you turn to a forum to assistance. The distributor in your country for that brand sends you a PM and posts his email address offering to assist you and to resolve your issues, but you are that arrogant to assume he has other intentions and go on to bad mouth him and the brand.

I hope the RTR does DETER people like you from racing, because the pits would be a better place without you!
Old 09-04-2015, 04:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by CDS70
So let's get this right......... you were having issues with your RTR so you turn to a forum to assistance. The distributor in your country for that brand sends you a PM and posts his email address offering to assist you and to resolve your issues, but you are that arrogant to assume he has other intentions and go on to bad mouth him and the brand.

I hope the RTR does DETER people like you from racing, because the pits would be a better place without you!
Thanks mate! Maybe i was a bit cynical of what appeared to be an unhelpful reply. I assumed it was a dead end from there. I didnt realize he could actually resolve my issues over the internet, but im sure he didnt take anything personally, not as much as you anyway...
If he did id be happy to send him a personal apology
Old 09-08-2015, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks mate! Maybe i was a bit cynical of what appeared to be an unhelpful reply. I assumed it was a dead end from there. I didnt realize he could actually resolve my issues over the internet, but im sure he didnt take anything personally, not as much as you anyway...
If he did id be happy to send him a personal apology
I don't need an apology. Glad you worked everything out yourself so I could concentrate on customers that appreciate the help I can offer.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by chicky03
I don't need an apology. Glad you worked everything out yourself so I could concentrate on customers that appreciate the help I can offer.
Why is everyone so touchy?? all i did was vent my frustration out on a serpent forum lol. To be honest, i didnt at first take you seriously at all hence i was being cynical, you just kinda came out of the dark there i didnt realize actual sales reps existed on these forums.. HA!
Btw i fixed the remaining issues. For future reference... the brake disk burnt the plastic tower thing, which caused the brake pad to glue itself to the tower, which is why the brakes werent working, I assume this is the same problem others might have had??
Changed the servos, my throttle turned out to be dodgy
i also started shifting at 7 whole turns out, it was always in first gear the whole time, hopefully this saves future noobs like myself a bit of time and frustration
Old 09-09-2015, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Why is everyone so touchy?? all i did was vent my frustration out on a serpent forum lol. To be honest, i didnt at first take you seriously at all hence i was being cynical, you just kinda came out of the dark there i didnt realize actual sales reps existed on these forums.. HA!
Btw i fixed the remaining issues. For future reference... the brake disk burnt the plastic tower thing, which caused the brake pad to glue itself to the tower, which is why the brakes werent working, I assume this is the same problem others might have had??
Changed the servos, my throttle turned out to be dodgy
i also started shifting at 7 whole turns out, it was always in first gear the whole time, hopefully this saves future noobs like myself a bit of time and frustration
For your information. They aren't 'sales reps' they are here for customer support. In my 25+ years of racing pretty much every brand worth running out there I've found Serpent to be the most helpful of the bunch particularly at the races. Their ever present and very helpful - but of course you need to give them a chance!! People got touchy about it because of your attitude and the way you responded to people trying to help you. I personally won't be bothering!

It is a pity about your issues as I've never had a problem with my GT that wasn't self inflicted. I have a bunch of buddies run the rtr models again with no problems whatsoever. Remember that you are in the running in period - the car ain't gonna shift properly until the engine is fully run in and up to racing speed!! There is no point messing with the 2 speed until you are in the latter stages of the break in process.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Setscrew allen M4x4

Anyone noticed that the screw 110118 which is defined in the handbook as M4 is actually M5? I measured it.

I ordered 110118 because I lost one of these (front wheels didn't turn anymore), do I get a refund now? Or is it just a mistake in the manual?

Image attached
Attached Thumbnails Serpent Cobra GT-gearbox_assembly.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.