Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Serpent Cobra GT >

Serpent Cobra GT

Like Tree99Likes

Serpent Cobra GT

Old 01-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Check out all the current optional parts and spare parts available for the Cobra GT on serpent.com.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Arboleda
I bought a Serpent GT in early 2013 and real life got in the way, never even had a chance to assemble it. I'm going to do that in the next month or so to prepare for spring/summer racing and wondered:

Have newer versions of any of the parts in the kit come out since early 2013?
I had one of the early kits and now have an updated kit. Biggest difference to me was the spider gears in the diffs. The newest version is better in my opinion as there are less parts and they are much smoother. If you do not have the Ver 2 gear set I would recommend them(Link below) but they are not necessary. When you go to build your kit your FR/RR diff bag will either have shims in it or not. If it has shims for behind the gears you have the older version. Again the older version is solid and isn't a bad set I just prefer the feel I get with the Version 2.

Really though the car is killer out of the box... Even if you have an original kit it is still top of the line equipment no question. Starting with the Kyoshos then going through the Team Cs I finally found my home with the Serpent Cobra GT shortly after its release. Enjoy your kit and let us know if you have any questions as well all like to help out. There are tons of option parts and upgrades if you want we can point you in the right direction with them as well.

http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/p...5&cat=0&page=1
Old 01-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Ty your description helped me identify which version of the diffs I have (v1) so that was very helpful. I'll pick up the newer set and poke around on Serpent's site for other goodies.

So Ty (And all of you) I am interested in your thoughts on upgrade/option parts. Which ones have you found useful?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TerribleTy
In the order I would get them done. The alum front end changes not only the amount your car can turn but also changes the way it feels. With the set of upgrades below you can get very sharp turning when needed and smoother rotation of the front end. I like the brakes but others may use something else. There are a few other pieces I like to have if you are curious.
10 Degree Alum Caster Blocks
http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/p...cat=90&page=14
Alum zero degree Steering Blocks
http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/p...cat=90&page=34
Alum Servo Saver
http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/p...cat=90&page=14
Pro Brake Kit
http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/p...cat=90&page=17
Reading backwards I saw these as some of your suggestions.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:45 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Yeah that list is a good start. It really depends on your track and where you will be running the Cobra GT. We run all kinds of different setups locally ranging from small 10th scale electric tracks to long sweeping fast tracks so I try to go as diverse as possible. With the aluminum front end you will make your car capable of turning under everything on the track. I noticed a huge difference in how tight I could turn with the upgraded front end which really kills it on the small tight tracks. If you run tight tracks that front end setup is superior.

You may also want to look at how you drive. Some are heavy on the brakes which turns to heat and can cause melting of the center diff mounts. The aluminum upgrade would be your solution there. I myself haven't had this problem but if you read further back you will catch wind of it.
http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/p...675&quantity=1

Best thing to do is build the kit stock and see where you think you could get the biggest gains. For me I was tired of getting driven under in the corners so I attacked the steering and accomplished my goal.

With the durability of this car you will find yourself getting upgrades instead of replacing parts. Obviously parts like the clutch assembly and brakes wear but that's pretty much it. Love the Serpent and she will love you back.

Be sure to thread lock well as you dont want a Rattle Snake

Anything else let us know, what motor are you thinking?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 PM
Tech Addict

Exclamation

Woa! Just saw you are in Provo! I'm up in Saratoga Springs. Sounds like you'll be racing on the same tracks I do. I PM'd you my phone number if you want to meet up we are breaking in the new Novarossi's on Wednesday at the Hobby Habit in Orem. Gus and I can get you set up and show you what we have done.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Matt, you old dog, (sorry, that's me). Good to hear from you . Get that car ready and do some GT fun with us this summer. I've missed you, buddy.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Gus, I intended to race last year but life got busy. I want to get that car together before the 2014 season and get racing again!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We would love to have you out there with us again. If possible , we are planning a road trip for the Airtronics grand prix the first weekend of March.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spooky 1
We would love to have you out there with us again. If possible , we are planning a road trip for the Airtronics grand prix the first weekend of March.
Maybe a Colorado van picks up the Utah racers ....... H'ummmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 01-08-2014, 06:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bassman2
Looking good, looks like she is almost ready to rip on the track!
Thank you bassman loking forward to start the season and try the fx in gt. its a bad ass engine..
Old 01-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Grenade10
Maybe a Colorado van picks up the Utah racers ....... H'ummmmmmmmmmmmm
This is a conversation we defenetly need to have! We drove down as a group last year it was a lot of fun.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Angel Santiago
Thank you bassman loking forward to start the season and try the fx in gt. its a bad ass engine..
Prepare dude because this year I hope to be back as much as possible at the track! I would need a new engine as well so let me know how it goes with it.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:39 AM
Tech Addict

Exclamation

Serpent Cobra GT GP and EP RTRs to be announced at the toyfair this year in Germany!!! These will be a great additions to the already dominant chassis opening up the door to new racers right off the start. Curious to see pricing as I could see this changing the GT market locally very easily.

link here, just a teaser...
http://serpent.com/news/13726/Happy-...ar-2014-!.html
Old 01-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)

Last edited by DRRC; 01-29-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.