Search
Like Tree99Likes

Serpent Cobra GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D.a.v.e
Is there a favorite body for these cars that folks think makes it handle the best? Right now I'm running the OFNA DP8. Just wondering what to try next?
Try using the Alpha R3 for me is the Best body in the market right Now!!!

Originally Posted by vito
bump
Yes it will fit.
But it will be to much torque and no top end with that motor.
Try using a .21 Onroad or Offroad or one of the rally motor wich is made for Gt's

Desotoracing.com
You will find everything for your car!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I had the yellow Cobra at Byrons, may want to sell it, and change classes.

It has only practice and the Byrons race on it. Aluminum steering rack, 2 speed uprights, pro brakes, 0 deg front aluminum spindles, 10 deg caster, basically Paolos setup. +2 rear hubs, -1 front, LRP arm braces etc. Bonito murnan motor 2 gallons, with a new rod just put in. Complete car, less servos, and receiver.

I wheeled it to a 18.0 there

Will post a ad in a few days if I deside to get rid of it. Any intrest?

Last edited by FastPete; 06-28-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Tech Adept

Just came from the track in Houston. Back to back weekends of racing and the cobra is dialed in. I highly recommend picking up a pair of LRP Control arm braces. I have felt a noticeable difference in the handling and they make setting up the vehicle more precise since they eliminate the flex in the arms. I wasn't excited about the price at first but I would definitely buy them again without hesitation. They are definitely worth the money. My next change i'm going to try the RC Shox's two stage shock pistons. Every time I see Marcus's vehicle on the track he looks hooked up and his car's handling just looks better than those around him.
For those of you that race in Texas I hope to see you at the first race to be held at the Circuit of Americas F1 facility in Austin next month on July 27th thru 28th. This will be the 5th race in the SWCS Series. This class is on the move, I know I'm having a blast running these GT cars especially once I bought the Serpent.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The GT class turnout was very large this year at Byron's Onroad Challenge and this resulted in some intense racing. Taking the TQ honors and finishing first in the 60 minute A main was Joaquin DeSoto Jr. Bill Sydor finished in second place followed by Andy Liu in third to complete an all Serpent podium. I have to say the LRP arm braces are a great addition to my Cobra GT.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)
Default 10 degree caster block

Is it the same as the one in the buggy?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oggietiu
Is it the same as the one in the buggy?
Yes same part #
Old 07-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Tech Rookie

how many cc is that motor
Old 07-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Happy 4th!

Just have a question regarding downstop if someone wouldn't mind clearing something up for me.
When looking at online setups like Paolo's, It states 0mm front and 11mm rear Downstop.
This is where im getting confused, for the front to have 0mm downstop the bottom screw of the caster blocks would be perfectly level with the bottom of the chassis? if that is correct, the only problem is im left with a large amount of front droop/up travel. I thought very little to No front droop was ideal for most onroad setups? or am i wrong?

or maybe the 0mm front and 11mm rear are actually Droop/up travel measurements?

Really appreciate any help to better understand
Old 07-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Voltron989
Happy 4th!

Just have a question regarding downstop if someone wouldn't mind clearing something up for me.
When looking at online setups like Paolo's, It states 0mm front and 11mm rear Downstop.
This is where im getting confused, for the front to have 0mm downstop the bottom screw of the caster blocks would be perfectly level with the bottom of the chassis? if that is correct, the only problem is im left with a large amount of front droop/up travel. I thought very little to No front droop was ideal for most onroad setups? or am i wrong?

or maybe the 0mm front and 11mm rear are actually Droop/up travel measurements?

Really appreciate any help to better understand
You are right on the money as far as how they are measured. We are actually raising them up even more to get what you stated very little travel. This varies greatly with your set up/track but works very well with what I am doing. I have the rear very stiff and the front soft, sounds completely backwards but it is solid. It makes the car feel more like a 10th sedan or even a pan car. Very good steering and little to no body roll at all. The car set up this way responds to on power steering so you have to be good with throttle control, if not this is a good way to learn

Last edited by TerribleTy; 07-04-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TerribleTy
You are right on the money as far as how they are measured. We are actually raising them up even more to get what you stated very little travel. This varies greatly with your set up/track but works very well with what I am doing. I have the rear very stiff and the front soft, sounds completely backwards but it is solid. It makes the car feel more like a 10th sedan or even a pan car. Very good steering and little to no body roll at all. The car set up this way responds to on power steering so you have to be good with throttle control, if not this is a good way to learn
Thanks, just still don't get how they are coming up with 0mm front and 14mm rear downstop. Sounds more like good droop settings instead.
Drove the car with those settings and when mashing the throttle it looked like an old Cadillac Brougham taking off with all that front end lift.
Are guys actually running these kinda settings?
Sorry for the Q's I'm a newb when it comes to setting up car. Lately been trying to spend more time to understand adjustments.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks, just still don't get how they are coming up with 0mm front and 14mm rear downstop. Sounds more like good droop settings instead.
Drove the car with those settings and when mashing the throttle it looked like an old Cadillac Brougham taking off with all that front end lift.
Sorry for the Q's I'm a newb when it comes to setting up car. Lately been trying to spend more time to understand adjustments.
looking at the sheets those are droop numbers
Old 07-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Tech Addict

I had issues with this when I first got going as well. I was using the 1/8th off road set up board by Hudy and using the blocks. I now just use the car sitting flat on the board and the ride height gauge. The 0mm means the droop screws are inhibiting the front of the car to go below flat or 0mm high. Set your car on the counter or set up board with no wheels. Then adjust the droop screws so the front is sitting flat on the table and then use a ride height gauge to get the rear at 14mm. If you look at the set up sheet you measure it exactly how it is pictured.

Your best bet is to check out the newest set up Paolo just posted. Its spot on
Old 07-06-2013, 04:39 AM
Tech Regular

That set up your talking about.Is that on the serpent web site?
The date 27.6..13 is on at a track in the USA.....
Old 07-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by favo
That set up your talking about.Is that on the serpent web site?
The date 27.6..13 is on at a track in the USA.....
Yes .... that would be the setup he used for the Byron's World Challenge at Joliet. IL

BM
Old 07-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by British Menace
Yes .... that would be the setup he used for the Byron's World Challenge at Joliet. IL

BM
I just tried to look at that setup sheet and it comes up like a blank setup sheet for me. Am I doing something wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.