Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Serpent Cobra GT >

Serpent Cobra GT

Like Tree99Likes

Serpent Cobra GT

Old 10-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

is anyone having a problem with the two speed shifting? Mine studders like tow or three times before it shifts.. What could it be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn2k4NYBQH0
Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Tech Addict

When that used to happen to me with my DM1 it was that the one way was slipping on the shaft or that it was going bad. With my Cobra I haven't had any issues other than the tank filter.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Tech Adept

thanks i will clean the one way bearing.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jneg
When that used to happen to me with my DM1 it was that the one way was slipping on the shaft or that it was going bad. With my Cobra I haven't had any issues other than the tank filter.
Come to think of it, I put some lubricant on the one way.. that may be my problem.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anybody having issues with the dogbones/driveshaft on the Cobra GT? I haven't raced mine yet and I noticed from just testing and tuning one of the dogbone/pins has chipped away on one side???? Not good if they are falling apart just from testing and tuning. I guess better here than in a 30 or 45 minute main but still...

Regards,

Speyederjedi
Old 10-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speyederjedi
Anybody having issues with the dogbones/driveshaft on the Cobra GT? I haven't raced mine yet and I noticed from just testing and tuning one of the dogbone/pins has chipped away on one side???? Not good if they are falling apart just from testing and tuning. I guess better here than in a 30 or 45 minute main but still...

Regards,

Speyederjedi
we ran our car at the Bursa Track for a whole day for testing, demo and show purposes. Nothing happened. you might have came across a faulty pin which is very rare for that kind of item. if it ever popped out of the cup it may have damaged it.

get a new pin and replace it if you cant do it you LHS or distributor can fix it for you. just make sure you replace pin after you heat up the shaft...
Old 10-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Toughbeard
we ran our car at the Bursa Track for a whole day for testing, demo and show purposes. Nothing happened. you might have came across a faulty pin which is very rare for that kind of item. if it ever popped out of the cup it may have damaged it.

get a new pin and replace it if you cant do it you LHS or distributor can fix it for you. just make sure you replace pin after you heat up the shaft...
Toughbeard,

Yup, hoping it is just a one time incident. I'm ordering a new set of shafts and will replace the pin on this one and keep it as a spare. Already have my bench vice setup for replacing those. I have a hole drilled into one side of the vice so the pin can be pushed flush on the opposite side . Once it gets flush on the one side I push the new pin in and then get it centered

Regards,

Speyederjedi
Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Speyederjedi
Toughbeard,

Yup, hoping it is just a one time incident. I'm ordering a new set of shafts and will replace the pin on this one and keep it as a spare. Already have my bench vice setup for replacing those. I have a hole drilled into one side of the vice so the pin can be pushed flush on the opposite side . Once it gets flush on the one side I push the new pin in and then get it centered

Regards,

Speyederjedi
nice setup... like I said heat up the shaft and cool the pin so its a better fit. if you pull the pin out when the shaft is cool and insert the new one in, it will just fall off as this will damage the shaft.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Serpent GT took top 3 spots in Southwest Championship Series

The Southwest Championship Series came to an end. The Serpent Cobra GTs took home the top 3 spots this year:

1st Place: Andy Liu "Flyin Hawaiian"
2nd Place: Tony Luna
3rd Place: Dee Ross

http://teamserpent.com/2012/10/usa-m...in-by-any-liu/
Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bassman2
The Southwest Championship Series came to an end. The Serpent Cobra GTs took home the top 3 spots this year:

Hey congratulations andy!!!
Serpent cobra is the best gt car in the market thumbs up for serpent!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by howard85may
is anyone having a problem with the two speed shifting? Mine studders like tow or three times before it shifts.. What could it be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn2k4NYBQH0
check oneway. sometimes the manufacturers insist on packing the oneway bearings with grease. you must have a clean bearing without grease. but if this is the case the car will not shift and rev up

your shift point sounds a little early as well. its as if the car is always at second gear and the engine shutters. also check the contact of the 2 speed shoes with the 2nd gear bell. if they are engaging at different times it will cause the shift to take longer time and feels erratic. usually happens when using set screws to adjust the gap.

if you are using set screws on the pads make sure they are not hitting the aluminium bell or you have flash around the hole the screw goes in....
Old 10-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Congrats on the series win , Andy. You're hard to beat. Kudos to Serpent and Sweep.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Thumbs up

What a good looking group of GT8 racers.. Good job Andy and all the other guys who raced this season..
Old 10-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Congrats to Andy, Tony and Dee!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Toughbeard
check oneway. sometimes the manufacturers insist on packing the oneway bearings with grease. you must have a clean bearing without grease. but if this is the case the car will not shift and rev up

your shift point sounds a little early as well. its as if the car is always at second gear and the engine shutters. also check the contact of the 2 speed shoes with the 2nd gear bell. if they are engaging at different times it will cause the shift to take longer time and feels erratic. usually happens when using set screws to adjust the gap.

if you are using set screws on the pads make sure they are not hitting the aluminium bell or you have flash around the hole the screw goes in....
Ok, I removed the clutch assembly, cleaned it all up, scuffed the hub and pads, degreased the oneway, adjusted the clutch tension screws, added set screws and now it will not shift at all?? Is there a certain way that the shoes should be oriented, with the long side trailing or leading?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.