Like Tree97Likes

Serpent Cobra GT

Old 04-02-2019, 03:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Pit-racer likes this.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:48 PM
Tech Rookie

which servo do you guy use for steering on the 3.1? what's your torque preference?
Old 05-06-2019, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by acsilver View Post
which servo do you guy use for steering on the 3.1? what's your torque preference?
i used sanwa ers 962 on steering. Worked perfectly and not rediculously expensive. HV compatible and waterproof (tried en tested lol)
When choosing a servo look for torque not speed. As you will only use a small part of the servo throw (reduced by epa setting) the speed is always enough. So sufficient torque is required!
acsilver likes this.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Julius View Post

i used sanwa ers 962 on steering. Worked perfectly and not rediculously expensive. HV compatible and waterproof (tried en tested lol)
When choosing a servo look for torque not speed. As you will only use a small part of the servo throw (reduced by epa setting) the speed is always enough. So sufficient torque is required!
thanks
makes sense
Old 05-09-2019, 04:52 PM
Tech Rookie

what combination of diff oil do you guys prefer?
Old 05-11-2019, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by acsilver View Post
what combination of diff oil do you guys prefer?
I used to run 80 - 125K in the rear diff and 500k - 1M in the front diff which I'll be continuing with onto the SRX8-GT initially.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Hey Dan. Have you seen the "default" oils for diffs in the SRX8GT? They are prity thin in comparison. Are you going to try them out first or jump straight into your thicker set up?

Regards
BM
Old 05-11-2019, 05:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Hey Dan. Have you seen the "default" oils for diffs in the SRX8GT? They are prity thin in comparison. Are you going to try them out first or jump straight into your thicker set up?

Regards
BM
i talked to the guys at the FL serpent track. they use 1.5mil in the front and 80k in the rear, for the srx8gt all dy
Old 05-12-2019, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

Regards
BM
Also because the diff gears are a much finer pitch than the 3.1 gears you need to use much thicker oil right off the bat. I've built my SRX8-GT kit with 125K rear and 1M front at the moment. I will also build up a pair of spare diffs with 250K and 2M as well to try a big change to see what it does on the new car when I finally get the chance to run it! I will also try a softer rear diff but I never liked going too soft in the rear on the 3.1 so we shall see.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Also because the diff gears are a much finer pitch than the 3.1 gears you need to use much thicker oil right off the bat. I've built my SRX8-GT kit with 125K rear and 1M front at the moment. I will also build up a pair of spare diffs with 250K and 2M as well to try a big change to see what it does on the new car when I finally get the chance to run it! I will also try a softer rear diff but I never liked going too soft in the rear on the 3.1 so we shall see.
Thats interesting Dan.
That Serpent have decided to go to a smaller diff' with closer pitch when other makes have gone the opposite direction and opted for a larger diff' volume, larger pitch and teeth?!
The compensaters in the new Serpent diff also intrigue me too along with 3/4 filled diff' recommendation. Very interesting for sure. I look forward to trying this car out!

Regards
BM
Old 05-14-2019, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Thats interesting Dan.
That Serpent have decided to go to a smaller diff' with closer pitch when other makes have gone the opposite direction and opted for a larger diff' volume, larger pitch and teeth?!
The compensaters in the new Serpent diff also intrigue me too along with 3/4 filled diff' recommendation. Very interesting for sure. I look forward to trying this car out!

Regards
BM
The diffs are much smoother than the old diffs and using thicker oil for the same feeling as the old diffs should make them more consistent when hot. Personally I run the diffs without the compensators fitted as we do with the SRX8 buggy.