Like Tree77Likes

Serpent Cobra GT

Reply

Old 12-19-2017, 02:58 AM
  #2566  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 6
Default

What starter box do you guys recommend for the Serpent Cobra? Like a total noob, I ordered the Hudy Star Box for 1/10-1/8 on road, just to find out it wont work with the off road based Cobra.

The Ofna Blue box is mentioned a lot, are there others to look at? I am going to keep the Hudy for now since I want to build a 1/10 on road at some point, but for this Cobra, and my Losi 8 buggies, is there anything other than the Ofna that is recommended?

Thanks!
YBNORMAL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:13 AM
  #2567  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
favo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 260
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Mugen
http://www.amainhobbies.com/mugen-se...gb0237/p223638
favo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:27 AM
  #2568  
Tech Adept
 
wkloppen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bussum, The Netherlands
Posts: 197
Default

I guess Mugen and Hudy are the "brands" to go for with the mugen begin slightly cheaper on average. I bought the Hudy because some "expert" told me it was a good box. Average price in euro's for the hudy is 95 EUR.
https://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/...f824356ab3c467
wkloppen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:47 AM
  #2569  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
dan_vector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,028
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

I use the LRP Spec 2 starter box. I like it as it's taller than all the others and the location brackets on top are wider and more customisable. I found the hudy box quite restrictive and sold it.
dan_vector is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:41 PM
  #2570  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 6
Default

Ok, thanks guys.

I guess I have an excuse to build a Natrix now........
YBNORMAL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:57 AM
  #2571  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
dan_vector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,028
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
Ok, thanks guys.

I guess I have an excuse to build a Natrix now........
Do it. Fantastic car to build. You'll love it.
dan_vector is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:16 PM
  #2572  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 24
Default

Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post

You can check you suspension inserts too. I run 2d/3d in the front and 6/5in in the rear of the car. I also run the front diff spacer too.
Hey Dan, quick question with that front insert setup 2d/3d, the 6 degree c-hub, front diff spacer and the zero degree steering knuckle.

What is the final caster amount???
Dougie1986 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:11 PM
  #2573  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 146
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Car fine tuning setup

I have a setup station. And droop and ride height gauges etc.

Aside from that, Is there anything else important for GT cars to fine tune? Surely it's hard to balance a nitro GT car considering the fuel tank is to the side and will be forever changing weight and balance?

What about tweak station? Corner weight system? Any ideas would be great.

What sort of static weight (empty fuel tank with no body, and empty fuel tank with body attached) does a typical cobra GT kit weigh in at? Should I be transferring anything, making anything lighter, or just running it as is at stock?
Cilal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:45 AM
  #2574  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 21
Default

Originally Posted by Cilal View Post
I have a setup station. And droop and ride height gauges etc.
IMO you don't need anything too fancy to set up a GT car so I think you have everything covered.

Originally Posted by Cilal View Post
What sort of static weight (empty fuel tank with no body, and empty fuel tank with body attached) does a typical cobra GT kit weigh in at? Should I be transferring anything, making anything lighter, or just running it as is at stock?
3550 grams with body, empty tank and new tires. My JZ Flow body with exhaust deflector, some shoe goo and trimmed rear wing weighs 280 grams. You want to be as close to 3500 as possible without going under. The car will get lighter the longer you run it from tire wear so keep that in mind.
Ren13B is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:33 AM
  #2575  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
dan_vector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,028
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dougie1986 View Post
Hey Dan, quick question with that front insert setup 2d/3d, the 6 degree c-hub, front diff spacer and the zero degree steering knuckle.

What is the final caster amount???
I don't know the exact figure nor have I ever measured it - it does not concern me to be honest. I just know it works very well on the car at all the tracks I've been to.
dan_vector is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:40 AM
  #2576  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
dan_vector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,028
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cilal View Post
I have a setup station. And droop and ride height gauges etc.

Aside from that, Is there anything else important for GT cars to fine tune? Surely it's hard to balance a nitro GT car considering the fuel tank is to the side and will be forever changing weight and balance?

What about tweak station? Corner weight system? Any ideas would be great.

What sort of static weight (empty fuel tank with no body, and empty fuel tank with body attached) does a typical cobra GT kit weigh in at? Should I be transferring anything, making anything lighter, or just running it as is at stock?
The car is pretty well balanced stock. You don't need to do anything. My car ready to race with sweep wheels/tires and Sweep P1R body is 3623gr and I run the car pretty much stock v3.1 specification with the addition of the diff spacers. Ignore tire wear as the weight change is negligible with rubber tires (foam tires of course is a different story but we don't use foam tires in 1/8 GT).

A corner weight system is a waste of money in my experience. You don't need a tweek station with such a big car. It is better to measure the setup accurately and set the shock lengths with the springs equally L/R Anti roll bars aligned correctly and the car will be pretty much tweek free. You can check the tweek by lifting the front and rear of the car and ensuring both wheels lift off at the same time.
dan_vector is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:06 AM
  #2577  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 146
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
The car is pretty well balanced stock. You don't need to do anything. My car ready to race with sweep wheels/tires and Sweep P1R body is 3623gr and I run the car pretty much stock v3.1 specification with the addition of the diff spacers. Ignore tire wear as the weight change is negligible with rubber tires (foam tires of course is a different story but we don't use foam tires in 1/8 GT).

A corner weight system is a waste of money in my experience. You don't need a tweek station with such a big car. It is better to measure the setup accurately and set the shock lengths with the springs equally L/R Anti roll bars aligned correctly and the car will be pretty much tweek free. You can check the tweek by lifting the front and rear of the car and ensuring both wheels lift off at the same time.
Thanks for all the awesome responses guys.
Feeling content that I've got all the expensive investments out of the way.
I have a rear diff raiser (a friend gave it to me) but not a front. Is it worth using them, or not? Just personal preference? Also- if I use it, what changes should I make to car setup to adjust for it, or just run it stock as is and see if I like it?

Also looking to buy new clutch bells soon. Which should I get? Standard steel? Air vented? Or he nickel coated?
Cilal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:35 AM
  #2578  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
dan_vector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,028
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cilal View Post
Thanks for all the awesome responses guys.
Feeling content that I've got all the expensive investments out of the way.
I have a rear diff raiser (a friend gave it to me) but not a front. Is it worth using them, or not? Just personal preference? Also- if I use it, what changes should I make to car setup to adjust for it, or just run it stock as is and see if I like it?

Also looking to buy new clutch bells soon. Which should I get? Standard steel? Air vented? Or he nickel coated?
The rear diff spacer makes the most difference. Don't worry about the front diff spacer - many don't like it although I personally do. You only need to reset the droop and ride height after fitting the spacer. Run the car without first to be able to compare it.

The stock clutch bell is fine. I run either the stock or the vented. Don't use the alu end bell as it has a habit of breaking around the vents.
dan_vector is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:29 AM
  #2579  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 146
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Do you all run stock shocks (aside from a few running the rcshox pistons seems to be a common comment). Aside from those, are you mostly running stock? Any mods that you make aside from changing oils? ive seen a different silicone membrane and also seen the optional shock tops?

Also, I ordered a novarossi 9886 pipe. It doesn't say EFRA 9886 on it. Just the part number and super strong. All images I've seen it says EFRA 9886 on it. Is this the right pipe?
Cilal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:29 AM
  #2580  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
dan_vector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,028
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cilal View Post
Do you all run stock shocks (aside from a few running the rcshox pistons seems to be a common comment). Aside from those, are you mostly running stock? Any mods that you make aside from changing oils? ive seen a different silicone membrane and also seen the optional shock tops?

Also, I ordered a novarossi 9886 pipe. It doesn't say EFRA 9886 on it. Just the part number and super strong. All images I've seen it says EFRA 9886 on it. Is this the right pipe?
The rest of the shock (besides the RCSHOX pistons) is box stock. The optional caps are just hard coated versions of stock and so no difference in performance. The SRX8 optional caps and seals are for building emulsion shocks which are not for onroad use anyway. I am not sure the SRX8 caps even fit the 811 shock bodies (never tried it).

9886 was the EFRA registration number however as the pipe is no longer homologated by EFRA (because it is a 2 chamber pipe) and therefore illegal in europe the new pipes no longer state EFRA but rest assured that it is the correct pipe.
British Menace likes this.
dan_vector is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service