Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 747 1/10 200mm touring @Nurnberg Toy Fair 2012

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sorry for all these consecutive posts.
For some reason I'm having a real hard time getting equal throw right and left. I'm using a KO RSX standard size and I have to set my sub trim to 70 left to get the servo horn straight up and down. Then of I do that my turning radius is a foot different right to left.
Help please lol
Old 05-17-2014, 12:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JOE SI
For some reason I'm having a real hard time getting equal throw right and left. I'm using a KO RSX standard size and I have to set my sub trim to 70 left to get the servo horn straight up and down. Then of I do that my turning radius is a foot different right to left.
Help please lol
Set the horn straight on the servo then sub trim it as required. Then set the rest of the steering up by adjusting the track rods. First servo horn to centre steering pivot to make that straight. Then adjust the left and right turn buckles to give 1 degree toe out each side. Finally set your EPA's up on the radio. Viola.

90% of steering setup comes from correct adjustment of the track rods NOT THE RADIO!
Old 05-17-2014, 03:16 AM
Tech Addict

Help please lol
What Radio Are you using? You should not have to use sub trim if you set the car correctly. Looking from the front of the car i run the servo horn at a 10 deg angle to the left. Put a longer tie rod from the horn to the servo saver (you might strip out the standard length. I use a 3 racing one) make sure both steering rods are set the same left and right and your wheels are straight with 1 to1.5 deg toe out.
Your wheels will turn left to right even. It is amazing what that 10deg can do.

I will post setups here shortly ill post them in JPG so you can view them easily.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Julius
Every part has a tolerance, and because of the angle of the shock, a small length difference can easily put a 1mm difference in droop.

Your solution is correct. The shock length should be large enough to prevent the bottoming out of the shock prior to the arms reaching the downstop. A little too long is better than a hair short!

With the super short shocks you need to be carefull not to make them too long. As you might run into uptravel issues.

Normally a downstop of 3mm is the lowest I ever go, so make your shocks long enough so they are just capable of not limiting the arm movement at 3mm downstop and you should be fine.
can you clarify the 3mm downstop given this scenario:

the stock set up is 2mm at the back downstops and 0mm in the front.
since i switched to super short shocks, what should the downstops be at 6mm ride height with 62 60mm diameter tires?
Old 05-17-2014, 04:35 AM
Tech Addict

Let me know if you cannot fire this setup.
If you are running on a low grip track. I normally run the same setup but change some of the following if not all.

No spacers under front upper arms.
No spacers under rear upper links.
raise the inner rear top link to the middle hole.
raise the rear lower roll centre to the middle.
Run 4 deg Toe depending on how low the grip is.

Lately i have also been running 16/21 pinion and 58/53 spur with success.

I have been running 2 gears in each gear with 1million front and 100.000 rear. all xceed oil.
I will convert a low grip setup soon and post for your viewing pleasure
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 747 1/10 200mm touring @Nurnberg Toy Fair 2012-aaron-lee-747-nationals-2013-3.jpg  
Old 05-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Aza088
What Radio Are you using? You should not have to use sub trim if you set the car correctly. Looking from the front of the car i run the servo horn at a 10 deg angle to the left. Put a longer tie rod from the horn to the servo saver (you might strip out the standard length. I use a 3 racing one) make sure both steering rods are set the same left and right and your wheels are straight with 1 to1.5 deg toe out.
Your wheels will turn left to right even. It is amazing what that 10deg can do.

I will post setups here shortly ill post them in JPG so you can view them easily.
M11X.
It's fine turning left, but turning right it tends to always hit the radio plate before I can get full lock.
I know from the last few times I tested I will not need full lock, my dual was at like 70 and could've turned it down some more. If the traction was higher I definitely would've had too. I just want to know I can get more if needed. Next race is tomorrow, I will change the rod and see how it goes,
Thanks for the help and also for posting the setup
Old 05-18-2014, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Help please lol
As someone above mentioned, the servo lever should be angles slightly outward. Then adjust the link length to the servo saver to get it centered. Then use epa to set left and right wheel deflection equal and with d/r set to 100% reduce both epa settings so there is no mechanical binding.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Good start to Wilck's Serpent Nitro career

http://www.redrc.net/2014/05/fransso...t-swedish-cup/
Old 05-20-2014, 05:07 AM
Tech Master

Finally got a few good runs in without screws and things coming loose. The car is great, on power steering is more than I ever experienced with any car.
I especially like how the car steers through the turn no matter how much im on the throttle.
All in all I have zero complaints with the car.
I still have alot of testing and getting used to how much different it is then my last car, because it is a little harder to drive then my nt1.
The 748 is going to be a beast, especially if its better than the 747, and im sure it will be
Old 05-20-2014, 05:28 AM
Tech Elite

Good. Glad your enjoying the car. Now experiment with various settings. The 747 has a wicked amount of steering which you'll need to tune to you driving style.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan_vector
Good. Glad your enjoying the car. Now experiment with various settings. The 747 has a wicked amount of steering which you'll need to tune to you driving style.
Got to run the MWS race in Toledo. Easiest car I ever drove. Ran it box stock, with all the stock settings. I want to try a few things when I have a lot of time to switch back and forth. I ran the tie rods on the front for stiffness. Gonna remove them first. I was told to make the mod to the rear of the radio plate to free up the rear. I took away a bunch of steering with exponential. Brakes were great. Ran harder shore tires with no loss of traction. Yes, I'm a big fan right now! Thanks to Bump and Jeff at Toledo for setup advice.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

Default setup

From the list of team driver for serpent who has the best over all setup for most tracks here in the states?
Old 05-20-2014, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigtee
From the list of team driver for serpent who has the best over all setup for most tracks here in the states?
Go with a semi stock set up. 200k diff front 70k to 100k rear
Old 05-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan
Go with a semi stock set up. 200k diff front 70k to 100k rear
Ok thats just diff setup i am talking overall setup
Old 05-21-2014, 01:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bigtee
Ok thats just diff setup i am talking overall setup
That's what he said. Go with stock setup and just adjust the diffs as he mentioned. The stock setup is a great starting point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.