Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 747 1/10 200mm touring @Nurnberg Toy Fair 2012

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I prefer the hard plactics also. My car feels a little more crisp with the hard plastics. I also get a better fitment with the hard plastics when compared to the medium plastics. This was the case early on; but lately both plastics fit the the same now.

Pass you soon...
Old 02-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lil-bump
I prefer the hard plactics also. My car feels a little more crisp with the hard plastics. I also get a better fitment with the hard plastics when compared to the medium plastics. This was the case early on; but lately both plastics fit the the same now.

Pass you soon...
Thanks for all the input. I'll build it as it comes and swap out or/and add when I get a feel for the car. Probably add the weights and go from there. The next order would be harder plastics and then the towers and shocks. Seem like a reasonable plan? Which or whose setup sheet seems to be the most dialed?
Thanks again for the help. Just waiting on UPS..
Old 02-07-2014, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamCarnage
Thanks for all the input. I'll build it as it comes and swap out or/and add when I get a feel for the car. Probably add the weights and go from there. The next order would be harder plastics and then the towers and shocks. Seem like a reasonable plan? Which or whose setup sheet seems to be the most dialed?
Sounds like a decent plan to me. I found the 747 goes pretty well out of the box. I'd put the stock setup on it first, try it and then tune from there. You'll find the updates will change the way the car feels and so you may want to put them on before investing significant time on setup!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I started with the stock setup but the stock setup has too much on power steering for my liking. I would use Dominic Greiner 2013 ENS or Nacho Lopez Christmas race setup.. These two are the closest to my driving styles.

Pass you soon...
Old 02-11-2014, 03:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys, plastic or aluminum pulleys? Why?
Old 02-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GPXJOE
I use Alu pulleys with low friction belts. The Alu pulleys seem to be more resilient to damage and stripping belts than the plastic pulleys. The Alu pulleys also have dirt clearance holes in the side of them. This prevents the build up of crud in the teeth and the subsequent skipping of the belt. They are also lighter than the plastic pulleys and carriers. So less rotating mass.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dan_vector
I use Alu pulleys with low friction belts. The Alu pulleys seem to be more resilient to damage and stripping belts than the plastic pulleys. The Alu pulleys also have dirt clearance holes in the side of them. This prevents the build up of crud in the teeth and the subsequent skipping of the belt. They are also lighter than the plastic pulleys and carriers. So less rotating mass.
What Alloy Pulleys are you using that are lighter than the plastic?
Old 02-12-2014, 04:27 AM
Tech Addict

I use Alloy on the front diff because once you try and tighten the pulley to the diff 2nd or 3rd time the screws tend to warp/egg the pulley and you will notice you front belt go tight then loose while turning the wheels. Some times i will use the rear Alloy diff pulley so i can tighten the diff really tight. Same as front tighten too much the screws start to pop through the plastic pulley. With the alloy one you can tighten until the thread strips and you will still have a straight pulley. All the rest are plastic on my car. But each to there own.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aza088
I use Alloy on the front diff because once you try and tighten the pulley to the diff 2nd or 3rd time the screws tend to warp/egg the pulley and you will notice you front belt go tight then loose while turning the wheels. Some times i will use the rear Alloy diff pulley so i can tighten the diff really tight. Same as front tighten too much the screws start to pop through the plastic pulley. With the alloy one you can tighten until the thread strips and you will still have a straight pulley. All the rest are plastic on my car. But each to there own.
That happened to my plastic pulleys.they became misaligned. I got a new plastic pulley then when I screwed it in, I just tightened it to a point that the screw head is just below and tight enough. No leaks. But it was tough,had to reamer the holes of the pulley a little bit.

Someone told me before that alluminum pulleys wear out the belts faster. U guys agree?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

That happened to my plastic pulleys.they became misaligned. I got a new plastic pulley then when I screwed it in, I just tightened it to a point that the screw head is just below and tight enough. No leaks. But it was tough,had to reamer the holes of the pulley a little bit.

Someone told me before that alluminum pulleys wear out the belts faster. U guys agree?
After a while, my other car started eating belts at an alarming rate. This was after Hours of run time though. The pulleys(AL.) didn't look that bad either. I'll post up a closeup pic when I get back from the Auto Show...Put new plastics on and ran new belts for the last 3rd of our season. Another 4-5 hrs. of running. All this on a clean, treated track with only a few bumps here and there. I did have some extra time at a big race and drilled "weep" holes in my plastic pulleys for any dirt,foam, etc to get out. Can't just sit there!!

Last edited by TeamCarnage; 02-12-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Serpent 747 kit - 4wd 200mm, seems to be out-of-stock? Who has stock these days?
Old 02-12-2014, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by WestCoastD
Serpent 747 kit - 4wd 200mm, seems to be out-of-stock? Who has stock these days?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ouring-Car-Kit
Old 02-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Have you checked desoto racing? EDIT...just looked out of stock.

Guys the aluminum pulleys are the way to go...Last longer, doesn't damaged belts, lighter, cleaner. Worth every penny!
Old 02-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I know they were worth the $40X5 for my nt1. For $10 each they are well worth it.
I will be drinking a 747 come april. Just can't afford to buy a new nt1 every season lol.
In kissimmee this past December there were nothing but good things said about it, and from guys that were running it for the first time. Nothing steered like my RRR and I hear this is close and even better.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

A-Main Hobbies
Originally Posted by nitrobeast
Have you checked desoto racing? EDIT...just looked out of stock
thanks. So, what displacement are folks running in the 200mm class? .12's? or .15's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.