R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-14-2014, 11:41 PM   #991
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtee View Post
Yes it is on left side. So whats the fix shocks are 10.5mm as per manual, sway rods are 6mm as per manual.
If you need that amount of droop then you can lengthen the shocks to suit. Double check you've got the shock in the same hole both sides of the tower.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:19 AM   #992
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Same hole definitely , also make sure the sway bar is equal left and sght. I had a problem very similar, I bought my car used ( But super clean ) and assembled. Long story short, the ballend was slightly angled when screwed on and was a bad tweak. I replaced it and its 100% now. Sometimes its something so small its easily overlooked, but the small things can also drive u crazy
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:39 AM   #993
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Need help setting rear droop. Ok this is what i was doing just playing around with setup
What i did was disconnect rear sway bar and lower shocks set car on droop blocks and set rear droop left and right +3 . connected sway bar rechecked droop setting still at +3. I then connect rear shocks check droop again right side is +3 droop left side is +4 checked shock length 10.5 mm both sides, shock shaft are the same length. What is the problem here nothing is tweak. How to fix this problem? I don't think lengthening the shock shaft on the left rear is the answer or is it?
Its either the spring tension of your shocks are different or the rebound on the shocks are different.check if the springs are the same color, same tension,same distance from the shock cap, and remove the springs and push the shafts inward,the shafts should relieve pressure at the same time.if not, bleed some oil in the othe shaft until they are the same.could be that the rebound is different.also, the ball cap on the bottom is screwed into the shaft less than the other shock.

What's important is that if the tires are same diameter, the tires should touch the ground at the same time,if not, check Michael salveb tutorials in tweaking the car

Last edited by GPXJOE; 05-15-2014 at 07:44 AM. Reason: edit
GPXJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #994
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPXJOE View Post
Its either the spring tension of your shocks are different or the rebound on the shocks are different.check if the springs are the same color, same tension,same distance from the shock cap, and remove the springs and push the shafts inward,the shafts should relieve pressure at the same time.if not, bleed some oil in the othe shaft until they are the same.could be that the rebound is different.also, the ball cap on the bottom is screwed into the shaft less than the other shock.

What's important is that if the tires are same diameter, the tires should touch the ground at the same time,if not, check Michael salveb tutorials in tweaking the car
It's not that. His shocks are bottoming out before the suspension reaches the droop screws. Read his post again - both shocks are measuring the same length and his anti roll bar is not tweaked.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #995
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
It's not that. His shocks are bottoming out before the suspension reaches the droop screws. Read his post again - both shocks are measuring the same length and his anti roll bar is not tweaked.
That's correct everything measured several times even took shocks apart and measured shafts what i did was readjusted both rear shock length to measure 11.5 mm instead of 10.5 mm as per manual. Seem to have fixed the problem. Still would like to find out what caused the problem.
bigtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #996
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
That's correct everything measured several times even took shocks apart and measured shafts what i did was readjusted both rear shock length to measure 11.5 mm instead of 10.5 mm as per manual. Seem to have fixed the problem. Still would like to find out what caused the problem.
Every part has a tolerance, and because of the angle of the shock, a small length difference can easily put a 1mm difference in droop.

Your solution is correct. The shock length should be large enough to prevent the bottoming out of the shock prior to the arms reaching the downstop. A little too long is better than a hair short!

With the super short shocks you need to be carefull not to make them too long. As you might run into uptravel issues.

Normally a downstop of 3mm is the lowest I ever go, so make your shocks long enough so they are just capable of not limiting the arm movement at 3mm downstop and you should be fine.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #997
Tech Addict

Default thanks

Want to thank everyone who gave input on the droop problem i was having. Thanks everyone.

New question shock rebuild whats the best way and what about rebound how much?
bigtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #998
Tech Elite

Quote:
Want to thank everyone who gave input on the droop problem i was having. Thanks everyone.

New question shock rebuild whats the best way and what about rebound how much?
I tend to rebuild my shocks after each race. Just check the seal package and membrane is ok. Refill the shock, bleed and set with about 2mm max rebound. Unless you drill a small 1mm hole in the shock cap it's difficult to achieve zero rebound.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:21 AM   #999
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T

748 at ENS....

http://ens.redrc.net/2014/05/chassis...nic-greiner-2/
Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:22 AM   #1000
Tech Master

I just put the extensions for the rear shocks, has anyone tried them? Or is anyone currently using them?
If so, can I get some opinions? I see in some pics that the rear lower pins are raised and the shock is in the middle hole on the tower, with the extensions installed.
With my xray T4 , I always liked the feel of the 2 hole optional arms in the out most hole. Hope its the same feeling
Old 05-16-2014, 05:33 AM   #1001
Tech Addict

I run the extensions my setup is on the serpent website.
If running short shocks let me know as you have to change the plastic ball cup to get clearance on the extension
www.hootrc.com.au
Aza088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #1002
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aza088 View Post
If running short shocks let me know as you have to change the plastic ball cup to get clearance on the extension
I run the shocks that come with the car, but the extensions came with longer ball ends and put them on
Old 05-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #1003
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aza088 View Post
I know someone posted this before, from my iPad not all the setups show from the website. The sheet shows blank, can you post it here? When you get a chance
Old 05-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #1004
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SI View Post
I know someone posted this before, from my iPad not all the setups show from the website. The sheet shows blank, can you post it here? When you get a chance
Download Adobe Reader app from AppStore and then open the setup PDF link in Adobe reader and you'll get the setups displayed fine on the iPad. For some reason they don't display properly in Safari.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #1005
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Download Adobe Reader app from AppStore and then open the setup PDF link in Adobe reader and you'll get the setups displayed fine on the iPad. For some reason they don't display properly in Safari.
Thanks.
One of my reasons for switching to serpent is this thread. Questions are answered almost instantly.

Tags
rc-world, serpent, serpent 747, toy fair