Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Serpent 747 1/10 200mm touring @Nurnberg Toy Fair 2012 >

Serpent 747 1/10 200mm touring @Nurnberg Toy Fair 2012

Serpent 747 1/10 200mm touring @Nurnberg Toy Fair 2012

Old 02-27-2014, 03:16 PM
Tech Addict

Clutch is a funny one. It Does come down to feel. The serpent Clutch is great although in really high bite like a sprayed track i find the spring not stiff enough. I have been running a capricorn hard spring. To get this to work you need to use the capricorn flywheel nut and spring tension nut. You cannot just put the spring straight on as the inside diameter is smaller on the cap, KM, mugen etc. But in saying that in normal running conditions i use red shoe serpent spring 0.6-0.7 gap and tension all the way and come out a turn and a bit. I have also found this not to work on some other peoples cars it's a funny thing but we just tune around it. Hope that helps.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aza088
Clutch is a funny one. It Does come down to feel. The serpent Clutch is great although in really high bite like a sprayed track i find the spring not stiff enough. I have been running a capricorn hard spring. To get this to work you need to use the capricorn flywheel nut and spring tension nut. You cannot just put the spring straight on as the inside diameter is smaller on the cap, KM, mugen etc. But in saying that in normal running conditions i use red shoe serpent spring 0.6-0.7 gap and tension all the way and come out a turn and a bit. I have also found this not to work on some other peoples cars it's a funny thing but we just tune around it. Hope that helps.

In high bite conditions when I need the most out of my I clutch; I do the same thing just with Shepherd components. You are correct; the Serpent nut is wider than most other manufactures springs.

Pass you soon...
Old 02-28-2014, 01:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lil-bump
I prefer the yellow shoe and steel bell for all conditions. I normally use a clutch gap of .6-.7mm. I use .7 mm if traction is high bite. I use the stock weights and the Serpent 1.8 spring. As for spring tension I always start with the spring fully compressed and then turn it 1 full turn CCW. This is my initial setting and then I tune from this point. Tuning your clutch is all about feel. Setting the spring to a fix number is never the best practice. You should always adjust it on what the track has to offer in terms of grip that day.

Pass you soon...
Thanks. I'm pretty much the same however I'm running the red shoe. The red shoe is a little bit harder and has a bit of slip compared to the yellow shoe right?
Old 02-28-2014, 01:45 AM
Tech Elite

It'll be very interesting to see how the Dynamis clutch compares now. Probably looks like I need to pickup stiffer springs and a yellow shoe to try....
Old 02-28-2014, 03:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dan are you going to huge bangkok anytime soon? Anyone?I wana play there soon before wc
Old 02-28-2014, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan_vector
Thanks. I'm pretty much the same however I'm running the red shoe. The red shoe is a little bit harder and has a bit of slip compared to the yellow shoe right?
It's funny; on the 1/8 scale the red shoe has more slip than the yellow shoe, but the opposite is true in 1/10. The red shoe has less slip than the yellow shoe.
To me the yellow is more consistent with a wider sweet spot than the red shoe. The red show has slightly more grip than the yellow but the yellow performs better in slow speed turns (carousels and chicains).

Pass you soon...
Old 02-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lil-bump
In high bite conditions when I need the most out of my I clutch; I do the same thing just with Shepherd components. You are correct; the Serpent nut is wider than most other manufactures springs.

Pass you soon...
I was running the xray medium spring most of last season on my nt1, towards the end I started using SRC spring and had good success. Will the src spring drop right in? Or do I have to Frankenstein the clutch?
Heard the capricorn m7 (pretty sure thats the part) is good too
Old 02-28-2014, 06:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys when the handbook says screw in the clutch nut all the way in,does that mean until its locked completely?because if its until its locked then unscrew one and a half turns, the nut.is still all the way in unlike the picture in the manual,and the car is nervous. If I follow the picture and.not.the number of unscrew,then its easier to drive,but I'm suspecting my clutch is too loose. How will you know your clutch is too loose?the engine won't rev high enough?
Old 03-01-2014, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GPXJOE
Dan are you going to huge bangkok anytime soon? Anyone?I wana play there soon before wc
Dude. I was there last week at the TITC event with my 411. It is an awesome facility - traction like you wouldn't believe! I am trying to get there for the pre-worlds which is 18-20 July but all depends on work/family commitments.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Guys when the handbook says screw in the clutch nut all the way in,does that mean until its locked completely?because if its until its locked then unscrew one and a half turns, the nut.is still all the way in unlike the picture in the manual,and the car is nervous. If I follow the picture and.not.the number of unscrew,then its easier to drive,but I'm suspecting my clutch is too loose. How will you know your clutch is too loose?the engine won't rev high enough?
It's quite difficult to explain but by setting it as per the manual you'll get somewhere near. Then adjust the clutch quarter turn of the flywheel at a time to get the engagement point as you like. You don't want a slipping clutch which sounds like the engine is revving to a certain point and the car has to catch up. To early and the engine will bog down and not accelerate cleanly this can also cause the engine to get hotter than it usually would. It's all about feel but on the stock setup start with the manual and go from there.

Once you get happy with how the clutch works and is adjusted you can move in to different end floats, weights, shoes and different springs etc.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:18 AM
Tech Addict

Yes screw all the way in. then out to the desired tension then adjust to your liking. I test my clutch 2 ways. On the bench hold the car and make sure your getting a good snap. While holding the rear of the car increase the revs until the car's clutch bites and the car tries to take off. Then you know you clutch is engaging once on the track stop on the straight for 4 seconds ( out of the way of traffic) and just gas the throttle. if you car fuels up its too rich if it coughs its too lean. If your tune is right you will either feel the car take off with little revs and sound flat (if you hear and feel this tighten the spring) if you can wheel spins and revs quickly your in the ball park of having a good clutch. I really should make a video next time out at the track.

I will be going to Huge RC for the worlds but cannot make the PRE worlds.
See you all there Fellow serpent Drivers.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aza088
Yes screw all the way in. then out to the desired tension then adjust to your liking. I test my clutch 2 ways. On the bench hold the car and make sure your getting a good snap. While holding the rear of the car increase the revs until the car's clutch bites and the car tries to take off. Then you know you clutch is engaging once on the track stop on the straight for 4 seconds ( out of the way of traffic) and just gas the throttle. if you car fuels up its too rich if it coughs its too lean. If your tune is right you will either feel the car take off with little revs and sound flat (if you hear and feel this tighten the spring) if you can wheel spins and revs quickly your in the ball park of having a good clutch. I really should make a video next time out at the track.

I will be going to Huge RC for the worlds but cannot make the PRE worlds.
See you all there Fellow serpent Drivers.

Yeah..Make that video if you can.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Hey guys, are the flywheel shoes supposed to be a tight fit to the flywheel pins? I just put a new set and unlike the stock parts, these ones are pretty tight. I still can move them by hand but just feels too tight. Should I widen the holes?
Old 03-05-2014, 01:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snuvet75
Hey guys, are the flywheel shoes supposed to be a tight fit to the flywheel pins? I just put a new set and unlike the stock parts, these ones are pretty tight. I still can move them by hand but just feels too tight. Should I widen the holes?
No do not enlarge the holes. Just run the clutch first. Thr strain on these shors is big and they will free up after the first run.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Any news of a new 747 or updated version soon???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.