R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #781
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent ken View Post
Hello onRdPassion were do you guys race in LA? We used to race in crystal park back in the day. Do you race with greater la club or is there other tracks ?
For nitro sedan we race at GLARCRC still at the Artesia transit center. Pretty nice track and it's huge! Surprisingly smooth for a parking lot and they do an awesome with prepping the track. They are pretty much the only place to run nitro or has a consistant showing of nitro.

There is a place up in SFV but they only race sedans and no 1/8.
OnRDPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:18 AM   #782
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

My nitro 10th scael sedan has very inconsistent gear shifting. Sometimes it doesn't even shift or it shift way too early no matter how tight the 2nd gear shoe is. I checked the one way bearing, clutch and got a new shoe for the 2 speed and still same problem exists. I just re built the car and in the process of re building the engine. I just couldn't finish it today because the crankshaft bearing is jacked so I have to get a new one. What else should I check??
Old 01-14-2014, 04:41 AM   #783
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
My nitro 10th scael sedan has very inconsistent gear shifting. Sometimes it doesn't even shift or it shift way too early no matter how tight the 2nd gear shoe is. I checked the one way bearing, clutch and got a new shoe for the 2 speed and still same problem exists. I just re built the car and in the process of re building the engine. I just couldn't finish it today because the crankshaft bearing is jacked so I have to get a new one. What else should I check??
My bet is weak 2 speed springs. I always change my springs quite regularly and the 2 speed shoes should last a very long time. Just make sure to clean any oil from it and the 2sp bell frequently.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:02 AM   #784
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
My bet is weak 2 speed springs. I always change my springs quite regularly and the 2 speed shoes should last a very long time. Just make sure to clean any oil from it and the 2sp bell frequently.
But I just got a new set of 2 speed shoes with the springs. I found what you said about long lasting 2 speed shoes is right LOL. NO difference between old ones and new ones. Just wasted money.
Anyway, bell and shoes are always clean. If the clutch spring has lost its tension, would it do the similar thing?
Old 01-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #785
Tech Regular

Are there any must have upgrades between last years version and this year? I have been off the radar a few months trying to catch up.
www.ToledoOneEighthRacers.com
Serpent Natrix 748, Revenge .12, Desoto Racing, Futaba
JJBinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #786
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBinks View Post
Are there any must have upgrades between last years version and this year? I have been off the radar a few months trying to catch up.
Now there are shorter shocks that go with shorter shock towers but u can still use the same shock springs,aluminum screws now new,hard arms compared to the old medium hardness, still no receiver box haha
Old 01-16-2014, 11:58 PM   #787
Tech Adept

Quote:
But I just got a new set of 2 speed shoes with the springs. I found what you said about long lasting 2 speed shoes is right LOL. NO difference between old ones and new ones. Just wasted money.
Anyway, bell and shoes are always clean. If the clutch spring has lost its tension, would it do the similar thing?
You may consider modifying the 2 speed shoes by opening up the two grub screw holes so that 4mm grub screws can be used. This provides a larger contact area with the centre hub and give consistent change points. This works very well just make sure the grub screws don't rub on the two speed housing so depending on what length screws you use you may need to file them down a little(or use shorter grub screws). Generally speaking the two speed shoes should last a reasonable length of time. The springs typically don't loose their tension to cause the problem you describe. Try this mod you will be surprised how well it works. The MTX4 and 5 had the same issue and was solved by doing this.
M16 Racing Fuels
Mazda614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:04 AM   #788
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda614 View Post
You may consider modifying the 2 speed shoes by opening up the two grub screw holes so that 4mm grub screws can be used. This provides a larger contact area with the centre hub and give consistent change points. This works very well just make sure the grub screws don't rub on the two speed housing so depending on what length screws you use you may need to file them down a little(or use shorter grub screws). Generally speaking the two speed shoes should last a reasonable length of time. The springs typically don't loose their tension to cause the problem you describe. Try this mod you will be surprised how well it works. The MTX4 and 5 had the same issue and was solved by doing this.
Wow, new idea and I like it. I'll be sure to try it later. But you seem to have gotten my problem wrong. It's not only inconsistent shifting but very wierd shifting if that makes sense. Instead of making booooOOOng~booooOOOng, it's like booooooooooooooooooooOOOOng....(already in 2nd gear) or like boooOoOoOoOOOOOng or like boOng~booooooooOOOng or like boOOOOOng(1st gear only). Usually 1st or 2nd examples. So mostly it goes to 2nd gear and accelerates but inconsistent, low power out of corner and sounds aweful(bogging). Please advise.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:30 AM   #789
Tech Adept

Quote:
Wow, new idea and I like it. I'll be sure to try it later. But you seem to have gotten my problem wrong. It's not only inconsistent shifting but very wierd shifting if that makes sense. Instead of making booooOOOng~booooOOOng, it's like booooooooooooooooooooOOOOng....(already in 2nd gear) or like boooOoOoOoOOOOOng or like boOng~booooooooOOOng or like boOOOOOng(1st gear only). Usually 1st or 2nd examples. So mostly it goes to 2nd gear and accelerates but inconsistent, low power out of corner and sounds aweful(bogging). Please advise.
Mmmm.....bit hard to follow exactly what the problem is, but in my experience if your clutch is not set up correctly you can get what your experiencing and the car will experience bogging out of corners as the engine isn't making power and the car is already loaded up in 2nd gear. ( i am assuming the engine is tuned correctly). This may also cause the erratic changing your experiencing. Check your clutch setup, end float and spring preload, but I still suggest you consider my earlier action as you will have an overall more consistent gear change. If you hold the car on the ground you should be able to accelerate the engine to at least 1/2 throttle before it wants to jump forward (point where the clutch is engaging) anything less I think would cause the engine to bog, you need to remember these engine are powerful but rely on RPM to develop the power.
M16 Racing Fuels
Mazda614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:51 AM   #790
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
or like boooOoOoOoOOOOOng
Mostly when this happens, the gap between the shoes and the 2nd gear housing is to big, my advise, install a new 2nd gear housing, don't use the small screws to set this gap, you can do this maybe 1 time, but not more, because then inconsistent shifting will occur...
Old 01-17-2014, 05:30 AM   #791
Tech Rookie

Quote:
I had exactly the same thing with my S733 (I now run a S747) and the root cause was that the 2-speed shoes had too much play in the connection with the adaptor (part 804236 - see attachment). The solution was too simply screw in the set screws to minimize this play. Also you need to minimize the gap between the shoes and the 2-speed housing. When you have too much play between the shoes and the adaptor you get the unpredictable behavior that you describe.
Attached Thumbnails
Serpent 747 1/10 200mm touring @Nurnberg Toy Fair 2012-att.jpg  
FrankP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #792
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPXJOE View Post
Now there are shorter shocks that go with shorter shock towers but u can still use the same shock springs,aluminum screws now new,hard arms compared to the old medium hardness, still no receiver box haha
They really need to come up with a receiver box. I have the aluminum screws on order. They had a hard arm option last year didn't they?
www.ToledoOneEighthRacers.com
Serpent Natrix 748, Revenge .12, Desoto Racing, Futaba
JJBinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:25 AM   #793
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 180 (99%+)

Quote:
Give it to Walter and your problem is gone.....
pinoy69racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #794
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
Mostly when this happens, the gap between the shoes and the 2nd gear housing is to big, my advise, install a new 2nd gear housing, don't use the small screws to set this gap, you can do this maybe 1 time, but not more, because then inconsistent shifting will occur...
Sorry I don't follow you. 2nd gear housing being the center piece or the 2nd gear drum? And how do you want me to narrow the gap between the drum and the shoe w/o using the set screws??
Old 01-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #795
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy69racer View Post
Give it to Walter and your problem is gone.....
+1

Tags
rc-world, serpent, serpent 747, toy fair