R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #496
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by asc View Post
Hi Aza, yes I am. Is it worth looking at the alloy ones?
The problem is once you tighten the diff the plastic pulleys the will go out of round and you will notice this if you turn the wheels slowly, the belt will become tight and loose tight and loose. Basically if you take the diff out of the car and spin it dead straight you will see the plastic pulley go up and down out of round.

Once i changed to the alloy pulleys i have never had an issue with friction with the drive train. (they are expensive and i only run the alloy pulleys on the front and rear diff only)

Once the side belt is on it does create more friction but not a heap.

If the side belt is really creating friction check dirt in the pulleys or even the number of teeth on all your pulleys.

I also always run low friction belts.

Hope this helps.
www.hootrc.com.au
Aza088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #497
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

How tight is your side belt tensioner?
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #498
asc
Tech Initiate

You are right if I turn the wheels slowly it does feel loose then tight.. I might consider the alloy pulleys. Do they add much weight?

Side belt tensioner is unfortunately relatively tight. (3/4 of the way down). But this is necessary to ensure the belt clears the exhaust manifold. Have checked the teeth they are correct.
asc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #499
Tech Addict

Quote:
You are right if I turn the wheels slowly it does feel loose then tight.. I might consider the alloy pulleys. Do they add much weight?

Side belt tensioner is unfortunately relatively tight. (3/4 of the way down). But this is necessary to ensure the belt clears the exhaust manifold. Have checked the teeth they are correct.
They do add weight unfortunately i did weigh them although i cannot remember the difference.

Personally and it's only my opinion the less friction with the alloy pulleys for me out weights the extra weight.

I have my car rolling like its on air 3 things helped -

Low friction belts all round
Alloy pulleys (diffs only)
Run the belts a little loose
Clean the bearings after every race meeting or two depending on how good your maintenance is during the event.
Double check and triple check your gear mesh It might sound silly but there can be alot of friction there if on a slight angle or not meshed correctly.
you should be able to spin 1st and 2nd backwards freely and i mean free spin...

Hope it all helps Enjoy.
www.hootrc.com.au
Old 06-24-2013, 03:28 AM   #500
asc
Tech Initiate

Thanks again, very helpful information.

I had a little play around with it before, changed the side pulleys (they should both be 21t right?) and with the side belt removed the car rolls very nicely. The bearings are new and clean.

Am also running low friction belts.

I will check my gear mesh, although this spins very freely.

Front and rear belts are in the loosest setting already, I will consider the alloy diff pulleys it sounds like it would help.
asc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:57 AM   #501
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks again, very helpful information.

I had a little play around with it before, changed the side pulleys (they should both be 21t right?) and with the side belt removed the car rolls very nicely. The bearings are new and clean.

Am also running low friction belts.

I will check my gear mesh, although this spins very freely.

Front and rear belts are in the loosest setting already, I will consider the alloy diff pulleys it sounds like it would help.
If you are checking free roll of the car make sure the tires are the correct diameter. You must use a 2mm split for 1:1 gearing. This off course does not matter if you only check with the wheels in the air...
Old 06-24-2013, 04:07 AM   #502
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankP View Post
Hi Julius,

we spoke last Sunday 16th of June at the MAC Baanbrekers track. I am a member of the MAC baanbrekers driving a 747 and I am interested in the setup you were driving. Can you please post it on the Serpent webiste?

Many thanks,
Frank.
Hi Frank,

Yes I remember. They are on the way to Serpent. Didn't have a chance to measure the car before....

There are 2 setups. One is from the Utrecht nationals which is a very good all purpose setup. It worked well in Rucphen in practice but I found some more speed using the Ulti Combination front tires and they required some tweaks of the setup.

I suggest you test the Utrecht setup first. The Baanbrekers setup is special for the Ulti mix compound front tires. When this setup is used with normal front tires you will lack steering. If you do want to try the Rucphen setup woth normal tires, use a 2mm front roll center spacer and run purple front springs with a 2.2 mm front roll bar. This will help turn in and smooth out the mid corner steering.

Good luck
Julius
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 747 Kolff Baanbrekers NK small.pdf (189.9 KB, 102 views)
File Type: pdf 747 Kolff Raco NK 2013 small.pdf (189.8 KB, 96 views)
Old 06-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #503
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius View Post
Hi Frank,

Yes I remember. They are on the way to Serpent. Didn't have a chance to measure the car before....

There are 2 setups. One is from the Utrecht nationals which is a very good all purpose setup. It worked well in Rucphen in practice but I found some more speed using the Ulti Combination front tires and they required some tweaks of the setup.

I suggest you test the Utrecht setup first. The Baanbrekers setup is special for the Ulti mix compound front tires. When this setup is used with normal front tires you will lack steering. If you do want to try the Rucphen setup woth normal tires, use a 2mm front roll center spacer and run purple front springs with a 2.2 mm front roll bar. This will help turn in and smooth out the mid corner steering.

Good luck
Julius
Thanks for sharing. How did you find the ULTI combi tyre compared to the standard 35 or 38 front? I have tested but i only have my thoughts
www.hootrc.com.au
Old 06-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #504
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aza088 View Post
Thanks for sharing. How did you find the ULTI combi tyre compared to the standard 35 or 38 front? I have tested but i only have my thoughts
More steerin. Especially on high speed and mid corner. You need to run less lock and the car does get more nervous. But on tracks with low wearand fast corners they can be helpfull.

They also tend to scrub less speedof the car in corner, so it becomes less stop go in the slower parts.

Bit more difficult to get the wear rate right. I think running harder than 37 rears makes it difficult to keep the split front to rear constant.

Your thoughts?
Old 06-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #505
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aza088 View Post
The problem is once you tighten the diff the plastic pulleys the will go out of round and you will notice this if you turn the wheels slowly, the belt will become tight and loose tight and loose. Basically if you take the diff out of the car and spin it dead straight you will see the plastic pulley go up and down out of round.

Once i changed to the alloy pulleys i have never had an issue with friction with the drive train. (they are expensive and i only run the alloy pulleys on the front and rear diff only)

Once the side belt is on it does create more friction but not a heap.

If the side belt is really creating friction check dirt in the pulleys or even the number of teeth on all your pulleys.

I also always run low friction belts.

Hope this helps.
I ran into this just putting the kit together last Friday. The plastic pulley was out of round. Already replacing with the alloy and It hasn't seen the track.

In my previous experiences I have run alloy pulleys everywhere. I may do that again. Have them on order but may wait to use them.
www.ToledoOneEighthRacers.com
Serpent Natrix 748, Revenge .12, Desoto Racing, Futaba
JJBinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #506
Tech Regular

Does anyone know how durable the steering ackerman is fragile on this car? I am considering getting the Alum version just so I can eliminate that break potential. When I ran shepherd 1/8th scale in 2011 that plastic ackerman was a weak point. Just wondering if the situation is the same or different here.
www.ToledoOneEighthRacers.com
Serpent Natrix 748, Revenge .12, Desoto Racing, Futaba
JJBinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #507
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBinks View Post
Does anyone know how durable the steering ackerman is fragile on this car? I am considering getting the Alum version just so I can eliminate that break potential. When I ran shepherd 1/8th scale in 2011 that plastic ackerman was a weak point. Just wondering if the situation is the same or different here.
Its on my to get list along with the alu belt gears. I have only melted a rear gear but thats what I get for playing on my street. Sucks up the little rocks and poof meltage.
TerribleTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #508
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBinks View Post
I actually have gone back to the plastic servo saver on this car it's not weak at all i have broken steering ball cups on the steering tie rods but never broke the servo saver. Actually i have bent the shaft that goes up the middle ( the one that bolts to the chassis) but never a broken servo saver. But the alloy one looks a hell of allot better
www.hootrc.com.au
Old 06-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #509
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius View Post
More steerin. Especially on high speed and mid corner. You need to run less lock and the car does get more nervous. But on tracks with low wearand fast corners they can be helpfull.

They also tend to scrub less speedof the car in corner, so it becomes less stop go in the slower parts.

Bit more difficult to get the wear rate right. I think running harder than 37 rears makes it difficult to keep the split front to rear constant.

Your thoughts?
So i have been running Ulti tyres for a while and at present they are tyre of choice. Although recently i have been testing the ZAC Project Combi tyres because i couldn't get any ulti Combi. i actually found the ZAC Combi to be a better tyre plus they have different shores so you have some options.

Ulti Combi tyre heaps of steering but i mainly found i had more initial with the ULTI and with the ZAC had more mid and exit steering.

With the Combi tyres i found you can carry a heap more corner speed and a heap more speed into the corners and wash of the speed while turning but i had to change my setup completely i'm happy to share ill post my 2x starting setups when i get home one for low- med grip and the other is high grip.

IMO - If you are not running a Combi multi shore tyre at big events you are disadvantaged!!!!
www.hootrc.com.au
Old 06-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #510
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T

Aza,

What are the Ulti combo fronts equivalent to? I use Ulti 37F/40R (99% of the time), so did you find 40R to work best with the combo fronts, or did you go to 37R?

Picking up some from Jay today, not sure what rears I should match them with?
Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rc-world, serpent, serpent 747, toy fair