R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-28-2013, 04:42 AM   #391
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by didrace View Post
Guys coming from a serpent 720 and a serpent s400 i am very reluctant to buy a serpent car again. Although i had a very good offer to buy the new 977 the 747 and the completely new s411.

I have tried to find comparisons threads on the internet but i have not managed to find a lot of information. I am writting in the 747 thread as the 1/10 gp scale is what concerns me most. I have asked quite a few people and they have told me there is no better car that the new capricorn and the xray.

They told me the serpent need a lot of setting up and staff to get it as fast as the nt1 and the lab and if you are not experience you might not manage.

Also they have told me that the design of the 747 might look very nice however the handling is not that good. It spins easily and has different acceleration.

Can someone please tell me the whole truth and can someone who is not biased let me know what i can do? in terms of everything..durability, reliability, stock setups handling, option part required. geometry wise etc..

what brings me to this thread is the money as i can get three serpent cars at a very good price compared to other manufacturers. Also if you guys have seen the new s411 or the 977 can they be compared to xrays t4 or the kyosho evolva or the capricorn 801? Btw capricorn has the name in the 1/8 scale. It seems wherever collari goes he knows what he does..
I'm a returning newbie but what I can say about the viper is this, morganti was running at 9th place due to an unavoidable collision and he still managed to win it in the viper's debut race at the winternats, versus great drivers like swauger.and salven was flying but dnf'd not because of the car but because the engine screws were loose to begin with which caused the flywheel to break.and salven was leading by 9 laps before that happened.

My understanding abt mark green in Bangkok was that he was in the top ten with the 747 in the qualifying but I think he did not do well in the sub finals,can anyone confirm or deny?i might be mistaken on this.i remember his name way up there in the qualifying sheets.

What I've noticed though in the serpent blog was that in Bangkok, the featured 747 drivers used different option parts.they did not have the same parts.but the trend seemed to be that the known drivers used all option parts that reduced weight. That's what I gathered from the serpent blog. FYI I'm a newbie, not an expert.i just read a lot hehe
Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #392
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Guys coming from a serpent 720 and a serpent s400 i am very reluctant to buy a serpent car again. Although i had a very good offer to buy the new 977 the 747 and the completely new s411.

I have tried to find comparisons threads on the internet but i have not managed to find a lot of information. I am writting in the 747 thread as the 1/10 gp scale is what concerns me most. I have asked quite a few people and they have told me there is no better car that the new capricorn and the xray.

They told me the serpent need a lot of setting up and staff to get it as fast as the nt1 and the lab and if you are not experience you might not manage.

Also they have told me that the design of the 747 might look very nice however the handling is not that good. It spins easily and has different acceleration.

Can someone please tell me the whole truth and can someone who is not biased let me know what i can do? in terms of everything..durability, reliability, stock setups handling, option part required. geometry wise etc..

what brings me to this thread is the money as i can get three serpent cars at a very good price compared to other manufacturers. Also if you guys have seen the new s411 or the 977 can they be compared to xrays t4 or the kyosho evolva or the capricorn 801? Btw capricorn has the name in the 1/8 scale. It seems wherever collari goes he knows what he does..
It spins easy?! If you dont know how to setup a car of course its going to spin out. Trust me, the 747 is a great car, it doesnt lack anything compared to the others. There are very few option parts that dont come in the box with Serpent. With the Xray you have to buy all the lightweight stuff, they are all options. As far as geometry, unless the person saying that is a designer they have no business talking about suspension geometry.
Just get the 747, you wont be diaspointed.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #393
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to SOLOARTIST 702

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
It spins easy?! If you dont know how to setup a car of course its going to spin out. Trust me, the 747 is a great car, it doesnt lack anything compared to the others. There are very few option parts that dont come in the box with Serpent. With the Xray you have to buy all the lightweight stuff, they are all options. As far as geometry, unless the person saying that is a designer they have no business talking about suspension geometry.
Just get the 747, you wont be diaspointed.
make sure to give him your home address and phone number so when he gets it he can tell you his view should be interesting
RC AMERICA / XRAY / HUDY/ MATRIX TIRES /KOPROPO / ORCAN GT3 /RED CUP RACING MEMBER / SPEEWORLD RACEWAY/ A+ performance parts /IVE SEEN THE XRAY TEAM DRIVE SO I GOT XRAY CARS / better to keep up than to catch up

WILLIAM PENDERGRASS

Last edited by SOLOARTIST 702; 02-28-2013 at 07:20 PM.
SOLOARTIST 702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #394
Tech Addict

I ran the 2012 NT1 last year and the 747 for a bit this year before deciding to move over to 8th scale.

I thought the 747's plastics were not quite as well finished as the Xray plastics, but it all went together without binding, it was tough and handled very well.

I only ran the 747 twice, but I went faster than I'd ever gone with the NT1 using a pretty stock setup.

If you have good parts support for the Serpent gear, they do make some of the best on-road gas cars in the world, the 747 is much easier to work on and maintain than the NT1 in my opinion especially since the radio tray comes out with all the electronics and battery attached to it!

Either is a great car.. Make your choice based on parts support, either of those cars can go fast!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #395
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:

Let me take a guess...the guys who told you the capricorn/xray are better then 747 drive those? The better car is always in the better hands of the setup/driver.

As for spinning out, any car will spin out in the wrong hands or bad setup. The couple locals ive seen with the 747 are always fast with almost no upgrades.

As for the plastics, thats a different story. Xray has the best material going without a doubt.

For the last 4 years i ran xray and this year bought a 747 without ever driving one, just seeing them weekly at races. That should tell you something.
nitrobeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #396
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOARTIST 702 View Post
make sure to give him your home address and phone number so when he gets it he can tell you his view od: should be interesting
Will..... BOUNCE

The 747 is more than capable when comparing it to the Nt1 or the Cap. The 747 has done everything i've asked it to do and more.

I will pass you soon...
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #397
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to SOLOARTIST 702

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
Will..... BOUNCE

The 747 is more than capable when comparing it to the Nt1 or the Cap. The 747 has done everything i've asked it to do and more.

I will pass you soon...
whats up i'm bouncing
RC AMERICA / XRAY / HUDY/ MATRIX TIRES /KOPROPO / ORCAN GT3 /RED CUP RACING MEMBER / SPEEWORLD RACEWAY/ A+ performance parts /IVE SEEN THE XRAY TEAM DRIVE SO I GOT XRAY CARS / better to keep up than to catch up

WILLIAM PENDERGRASS
SOLOARTIST 702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #398
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOARTIST 702 View Post
whats up i'm bouncing

Whaz up.......Bounce on

Pass you soon...
Old 03-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #399
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

All I can say is this...

A Great driver makes a shitty car look excellent....
A bad driver makes an excellent car look like shit....

Once you get used to your car you will be fine. Pits here are almost completely Serpent Orange. It is the support that makes it and we give excellent support to our customers...

Racing since the 20th century
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #400
Tech Regular

Guys thanks a lot for your replies.

I have read and i have tried to take the best out of what has been said.

Where i live i dont have parts for either car. everything i need i have to order.

I was talking to a guy the other day that owns a capricorn and he has told me he tried the 747 and he finds it an ok car however the capricorn he said is better for him. So it all comes down to what everyone might like..

As for durability i guess no one can bit xray..

If i had the money i would have bought everything but for the moment i cant..maybe in the future i can make a better choice.

but thanks a lot..
didrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #401
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T

Anyone got a spare new or used Serpent front solid axle (Part # 804185) they want to sell?

Seems like it is on backorder, and nobody has stock of this locker.

Not after the new mutli locker, prefer the old 804185.

Thanks,
Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:59 AM   #402
Tech Initiate

Does anyone have a list of what each arm adjustment does to the handling ie front top arm shimming bulk head up or down and pin in and out. Same with the rear lower arm position and upper arm.

Regards Luke
Blown1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:59 AM   #403
Tech Initiate

Does anyone have a list of what each arm adjustment does to the handling ie front top arm shimming bulk head up or down and pin in and out. Same with the rear lower arm position and upper arm.

Regards Luke
Blown1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #404
Tech Elite

I would take a look at the Hudy chassis setup book. It will give detail on the adjustments you are inquiring about. There is a saying "If you give a man a fish he will eat for a day.... If you teach a man to fish he will eat for a life time." Read the Hudy chassis setup book and eat for a lifetime.

Pass you soon...

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...93a27dd350cf2f

Look under the section of adjusting roll centers
Old 03-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #405
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
I would take a look at the Hudy chassis setup book. It will give detail on the adjustments you are inquiring about. There is a saying "If you give a man a fish he will eat for a day.... If you teach a man to fish he will eat for a life time." Read the Hudy chassis setup book and eat for a lifetime.

Pass you soon...

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...93a27dd350cf2f

Look under the section of adjusting roll centers
what an amazing book thanks!!!basic fundamentals set the foundation!

guys what brand of diff oil comes with the 747 kit? i do not know which brand of diff oil to buy because it does not show what brand it is. is there a serpent brand for many types of viscosity of diff oil? of course i have the 30k and the 300k that came with the kit.

Tags
rc-world, serpent, serpent 747, toy fair