R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2012, 04:02 AM   #1
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default LiFe 1400mah swollen

My mistake I forgot to unplug battery from car receiver until I discover it one month later, which is last night.

My LiFe 1400mah is swollen. One cell is swollen pretty big. The battery is also dead with 0 volts reading. It wont take any charge under LiFe or LiPo charging mode.

So I decided to play with it before I finally throw it away......

I give a charge Ni-Mh mode at 1.4A , and the battery accept the charging process. I can see the voltage is going up from 0.0v to 2.4v, 2.5v, and so on.

I keep charging it untill 15 minutes later, I switched to LiFe mode with balancer cable on. The charger keeps charging the battery for sometime , however I decided to stop it and be smart rather than sorry. ( I'm worried the battery might explode / catch fire when battery is reaching its peak ).

What cause it to swollen ?

I have one spare battery fully charged ( before storing ) and yet, it is still get swollen.
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richmond Hill, ON, Canada
Posts: 244
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
I have one spare battery fully charged ( before storing ) and yet, it is still get swollen.
I was under the impression to not keep these LiFe packs, or any lithium packs for that matter, fully charged if storing for awhile.

I've been using two LiFe packs (maybe the same brand as you, IP's?) one in my MTX4 and 733 for a couple years now without any degradation or swelling issues.

Btw, I don't use a switch in nitro so my batteries are never left plugged in. Maybe good advice now after your unfortunate mishap?

All in all I wouldn't be too upset if mine go bad. I consider LiFe to be relatively good cheap receiver battery alternatives. Well, considering what we used to pay for supposedly high quality Nimh's that seemed to lose a third of their capacity after a year anyways.
__________________
ETC: Serpent 411 Eryx 3.0 |Serpent 411 Eryx 2.0 | Serpent 411 TE | Xray T2 | Tamiya F104 V2
NTC: Serpent Cobra GT | Serpent 811 | Serpent 748 TQ | Mugen MTX-4
Heli's: Align TRex 500 EX | HK 500 x2
modelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default

2 Tylenol and an ice pack usually helps me with swollen parts

Sorry, couldn't resist...
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: virginia
Posts: 171
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
2 Tylenol and an ice pack usually helps me with swollen parts

Sorry, couldn't resist...
wallaj232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
Tech Elite
 
R3VoLuTiOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,391
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

you could charge it outside in a liposafe container ontop of non flammable ground to see what happens, but as theyre pretty cheap to replace, you might feel better about storing a new one in your house.
__________________
John Tsang 🏁 VBC Racing 🚗 ORCA RC 🚗 GripworksRC 🚗 MotivRC 🚗 GravityRC 🚗 RC America

http://www.facebook.com/VancouverRRR 🏁 http://www.facebook.com/OvergearedRacing
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
Tech Addict
 
CurveTracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Suburban Chicago
Posts: 504
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Look at it this way. You could keep the battery, charge it outside, store it in a lipo charging pack when not at the track. All this time you will be worrying about a potential chemical fire. Or dispose of it properly, and purchase yourself a new battery so you can enjoy the hobby safely. The new battery is cheap compared to the treatment for even a minor chemical burn.
__________________
"Yellow Jacket" Mugen MTX-6, Picco Torque
TeamNITRO RC Club, Lynwood, Illinois
CurveTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:38 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net