Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
What foam tires fit HPI RS4 >

What foam tires fit HPI RS4

What foam tires fit HPI RS4

Old 01-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default What foam tires fit HPI RS4

Hello all,I have an RS4 3 EVO and I would like to try some foam tires.Can anyone tell me what works/fits and what to stay away from?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Try Contact tires you can buy them at kevcoracing.com. Try 37 front 40 rear.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thank you!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Any TC foam should fit. Conatct, Jaco, Matrix, Capricorn, GRP, etc., etc.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

On the left rear you might have to grind a little material of the radio box in order to make the 30mm wide tires fit.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
On the left rear you might have to grind a little material of the radio box in order to make the 30mm wide tires fit.
Or use the fronts (26mm's) all around.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by modelfan
Or use the fronts (26mm's) all around.
Front rubber is different from rear rubber. The car would have no rear grip.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wingracer
Front rubber is different from rear rubber. The car would have no rear grip.
Grip is created/assisted by the shore rating. So the rear 26's should be a different shore than the front 26's according to running conditions.

Don't forget, this car originally comes with rubbers all around, not foams. And they are 26mm's.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

No, wingracer is right. Even if you run a different shore the make up of the rubber used in front tires is defferent to the one used for rear tires. Front tires dont work on the back, and vicerversa.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

You want 26mm tires on the front and 30mm ones on the rear. The RS4 was my first rc car and running 26mm tires in the rear makes it have a lot of oversteer.
So you could either grind some material from the radio box, use thicker rear hexes to increase offset or get rims with more offset. Capricorn rear wheels have +0,85mm offset.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Default Best idea yet

I've got old Delta that I ran at club races and plan to run in the Midwest this year in pan class. But it's sort of hell getting foam, right? Since all you can buy anymore is the tire with foam on and no one makes that stuff for the vintage cars, nor does anyone sell just the foam. Long story short, I made a bunch of phone calls and I have a company lined up to sell me foam that I'll then cut into disks just like "back in the day" and sell. Looks like I'll have 35, 40 and about 45 shore to work with since the foam company doesn't operate in "shore", just poundage, so I've had to convert and modify and blah blah. I'm also going to make combos since I'm running 4 wheel drive as well and think I can get around this having to run one thing up front and another in the rear to make it all balance out (another old trick.) I should be up and running by mid march and I'm hoping to sell foam for about 3-4 bucks a tire, which'll cover the foam, shipping and handling, and a nickle or two besides for my time...either way it beats 20 bucks a pair for 1/8 tires (which is highway robbery if you ask me.) I know some guys with $$ to burn will probably prefer to do it the way it is now, but that doesn't help guys like me who either need foam for the vintage or just want to race without going broke on tires. There was a guy at the GLC last year with $600 in tires...that's just insane! Anyhow, anyone interested get with me, I'm a tad slow to respond sometimes but anyone needing foam for vintage I'll put at the head of the list when I get up and going, I'll be selling it in rings just like it used to be so anyone who plans to go this route will need to fabricate a shoe horn and buy some glue....all the best....