R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-26-2004, 02:26 PM   #1201
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Hey guys !!! help to maintain this thread alive !!!

I still dont get the idea of thinking that the GT4 its totally outdated ...

Think about this :

1.- Suspension, my opinion its that the GT4 have one of the best suspensions on the market ... even the last serpent model on 200mm used similar suspension geometry.

2.- Low CG, well this is not an issue but a plus on the newest non-yokomo kits ... maybe putting the servos on laydown position and the engine on an angled position over the same gt4 chassis will solve the problem ?

3.- Transmission .. the gt4 one works flawless

So, what is our opinnion over all of this ???

cya !!!

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:10 PM   #1202
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Tabushi
Hey guys !!! help to maintain this thread alive !!!

I still dont get the idea of thinking that the GT4 its totally outdated ...

Think about this :

1.- Suspension, my opinion its that the GT4 have one of the best suspensions on the market ... even the last serpent model on 200mm used similar suspension geometry.

2.- Low CG, well this is not an issue but a plus on the newest non-yokomo kits ... maybe putting the servos on laydown position and the engine on an angled position over the same gt4 chassis will solve the problem ?

3.- Transmission .. the gt4 one works flawless

So, what is our opinnion over all of this ???

cya !!!
Hi Pato
Long time no talk.
You know, I was thinking about what to do to my GT4, and I remember in the old Yokomo forum somebody posted a picture of his GT4 with the steering servo laydown, so I think it is possible to work it over, and I would do the same with the throttle/brake servo, drop in a TM G4 tank and move the batteries under it, of course that would requiere designing and building a new upper deck. What do you think??? Would be a nice project.
AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 05:33 PM   #1203
Tech Elite

AFM,

Hi .. yes, long time no talk at all ... im almost on a jail here on my job in Brazil ...

Well ...

I think the changes i could risk to do on the gt4 are :

1.- Laydown steering servo.
2.- Laydown throttle servo.
3.- Using the penguin rc centered tank upper deck i would not touch the gt4 tank, and i think its a good idea to mount a receiver pack (1800mah AAA batts) crossing the down side of the chassis just in front of the tank ...

But i dont know ... the gt4W2L stock its competitive on the right hands ... for example take the Serpent 710 ... it is so sensitive to every change that i see guys at the track messing and messing with the setup and thats make you think "the last setup its really the better one or he is tired of messing around ?" ....

I dont know, i was selling my gt4w2l just to maintain another gt4w2l that i have but finally i desisted (with an offer on my hands !!!) ... so i will build the new one, disassemble the old one in order to get "full replacement parts" and put the penguin rc centered tank upper deck ...

I would like to see here postings from guys really racing the gt4 to know how they are doing it ...

cya !

Old 05-26-2004, 07:45 PM   #1204
Tech Addict

Tabushi- angle the engine? What are you smoking bro? You still need glow igniter access, and adequate carburator acess.

Perhaps you're right about the suspension geometry, but Serpent's adjustable roll center's do change some of those characteristics. Do we need all that? Are you a better driver than a 710 driver?

I think some of this hype about laydown servos might be a little overrated. I bet if you try to do this mod yourself you will notice very little performance differances. Perhaps its already been stated, but the yokomo GT4 could benefit by taking advantage of smaller/lighter weight receiver cells such as the 5AAA's. It appears at the time the radio plate was designed for the GT4, cells of that size weren't capable of longer run times. Perhaps, this modification is best done with a new chassis plate and radio plate. It wouldn't take much for someone to prototype out a new chassis to take advantage of the new cells. I guess while you're at it you include a design for a laydown steering servo. Laying down the throttle servo I think is unnessary. Perhaps, If you're going to do this yourself I would suggest using serpent 710 linkages, servo mounts, reciever mount, battery mounts and gas tank/ exhaust wire mount.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:01 PM   #1205
Tech Fanatic

Actually, Tabushi isnt as far wrong as you think. We have been looking at the possibilities for over 6 months now. The problem is not the glow igniter access. You can buy externally mounted dummy plugs that connect to the glowplug and bolt on to the car or plane anywhere you like.

The real problem is the carb. It would be necessary to either produce a complex throttle linkage or manufacture a new design carb. Either is very possible.

Quote:
Originally posted by tomkelley
Tabushi- angle the engine? What are you smoking bro? You still need glow igniter access, and adequate carburator acess.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:07 PM   #1206
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by tomkelley

Perhaps you're right about the suspension geometry....................

Perhaps its already been stated, but the yokomo GT4 could benefit by taking advantage of smaller/lighter weight receiver cells such as the 5AAA's.....................

Perhaps, this modification is best done with a new chassis plate and radio plate. It wouldn't take much for someone to prototype out a new chassis to take advantage of the new cells. I guess while you're at it you include a design for a laydown steering servo. Laying down the throttle servo I think is unnessary. Perhaps, If you're going to do this yourself I would suggest using serpent 710 linkages, servo mounts, reciever mount, battery mounts and gas tank/ exhaust wire mount.
Tom
Agree with 100% you on those proposals, that is exactly what I was starting to design, but will try with TM's G4 tank instead, if not possible, will try with Serpent's tank.

With respect to angling the engine, the guy who smoked some good stuff was Masami Hirosoka, which raced a Yokomo prototype in February at the Pre-Worlds in Brasil, which had the engine angled back and accesed glow plug and carb HSN trough back window, and LSN without body, Problem is reaching MSN, but that one you seldom move.
My friend Tabushi sent me pictures of Masami's prototype, but with the promise of not make them public by express petition of Masami. Don't know if final car will be like that, but it sure looked awesome and according to guys who so it run it was ballistic.....well I guess anything on Masami's hand would so.
Lets ee when the new Yokomo hits the market. My guess is after the worlds, so ths will be this coming winter.
AFM
Old 05-27-2004, 06:48 AM   #1207
Tech Elite

I just saw last weekend a guy at the track with a FW05R with an angled engine (about 30º), he told me that the cg lowered a bit but the change were noticeable ...

cya !

Old 05-28-2004, 11:38 AM   #1208
Tech Initiate

Hey guys.... i have already tested this angled engine and i can tell you that i didnt noticed any difference on engine performance and chassis performance eather.....
I run a Trinity G4 and the most difficult thing was to put the carburator ona good position.... and when i found ,it was really difficult to acces the the iddle needle.....
The only difference i noticed is that the engine run a little bit cooler!!!! but u cant lean it out as much as you do with the engine on the normal position!!!!!
After pre-world i asked Masami about the engine inclination and he told me that JP ENGINES made a special engine mount only for him!!! so it can be possible that his engine was something different!!!!!!!
All i can say is that on pre world Masamis engine was really strong but the engine finished with 40 minutes final!!!!! and Sirios engine were even faster than JP!!!!!!
Hey Tabushi!!!!! when r u going to the track again!!???
Fura Fura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:01 PM   #1209
Tech Elite

Hey Fura Fura !!! ...

Im not going to the track 'cause of my job, im almost living at Banespa's ... !!! ...

I think i will participate on the Nationals July 2nd, 3th and 4th ... but until that i think i will not touch the TX ! ...

Thanks for your comments !!! ...

Cya !!!

Old 05-28-2004, 05:15 PM   #1210
Tech Elite

Heh guys, I just got the GT4 w2L and love it. Seems like the kit includes all the needed parts to make it competitive that were lacking in the older versions. But, the instructions? You might as well just wing it, the manual with 2 supplements in Japanese are the worst yet. Granted, this kit is for racers, but no inventory on parts, etc. in the manual. Anyway, once it was confusingly put together, it is great. Only receiver location is still awkward. They expect us to just put servo tape and it will be fine. I ballooned and zip tied it on with some help from a dremel. Couple other questionable things, but very happy overall.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:22 PM   #1211
afm
Tech Master

Default MODIFYING THE GT4

Doing some research and measurements, I have arrived to the conclusion, that the best and simplest way to update my GT4, is by using the Mugen MTX3 layout and parts. Tank, battery, steering servo assembly, and of course making a new radio tray that fits the GT4 with all those Mugen parts in a similar layout. That would work great with rubber tires because you wouldn't
have to update the rest of suspension geometry(like the rear uprights, varaiable roll center, etc, etc.), so much needed for foams.
Will keep you posted on my project.

AFM
Old 05-31-2004, 02:30 PM   #1212
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: MODIFYING THE GT4

Quote:
Originally posted by afm
Doing some research and measurements, I have arrived to the conclusion, that the best and simplest way to update my GT4, is by using the Mugen MTX3 layout and parts. Tank, battery, steering servo assembly, and of course making a new radio tray that fits the GT4 with all those Mugen parts in a similar layout. That would work great with rubber tires because you wouldn't
have to update the rest of suspension geometry(like the rear uprights, varaiable roll center, etc, etc.), so much needed for foams.
Will keep you posted on my project.

AFM
This would work but you will benefit even more from using the Serpent tank and battery pack. It will allow you to position the balance of the car more (by being able to move the battery pack backwards or forwards. To fit the lay down steering you will be cutting a new chassis anyway so this would be more beneficial for setting the car up.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:30 AM   #1213
afm
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: MODIFYING THE GT4

Quote:
Originally posted by Palmaris Europe
This would work but you will benefit even more from using the Serpent tank and battery pack. It will allow you to position the balance of the car more (by being able to move the battery pack backwards or forwards. To fit the lay down steering you will be cutting a new chassis anyway so this would be more beneficial for setting the car up.
Thanks, i will look up on to that option. With regards to a new cut chassis for steering servo, it wont be necessary. I made a bridge from an old chassis, that will be bolted across the front hole of the Gt4's chassis, and it will work as a support for the lower mounting of the servo saver (done this before for a Serpent Impulse).
Right now i'm going shopping for the rest of parts here in Spain(taking advantage of business trip), because down home we have no LHS's carrying parts.

AFM
Old 06-02-2004, 05:45 AM   #1214
Tech Elite

AFM,

try to post pics about your project as soon as you can !

Old 06-14-2004, 08:23 PM   #1215
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Im seling to GT4s, 2 engines, 1 pipe and a bunch of parts. Go to this link

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.p...threadid=42764
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote