R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-22-2004, 01:10 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Help! My engine won't start, I just purchased it!

Hello all,

I hope I can explain my problem to you in a successful manner. Firstly, I just purchased my R/C car today, an HPI Racing RS4 RTR Evo 3. I have followed all the instructions clearly.

My first problem is that when I was priming the fuel to get to the carberetor, the fuel started leaking out of the air filter (was I priming to much? It was hard to see fuel in the line).

Secondly, I thought I flooded the engine then. So, I read the manual and it wants me to take out the glowplug and have the fuel drip out, except the tool they gave my to undo the glowplug won't fit down the heat sink to the glowplug.

What do I do?

-Justin.
Honda_Civic_Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:31 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Roberto Falcon

that sucks bro. um yeah you sure did flooded your engine. um just try leaving it alone for a while and try starting it with out priming it.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:47 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Losi is right, sounds like you flooded the engine.

When possible buy yourself some new fuel tubing, clear ones and change out the originals ... keep them. you can use them for something else later. Tubing do not cost mush and even after years of nitro racing, I cannot cope not being able to see fuel in my tubing. There's many reasons :- is the fuel there? is it moving and going in? are there bubbles? etc.

Second, buy a proper glow plug wrench. you can't have a nitro car and not have a working glow plug wrench!

Third, if you really want to try and unload the fuel. Try the following:-

- empty your tank first,
- remove your air filter,
- look at the carb and with the radio off, move the servo linkage so that the carb is fully open,
- invert your car upside down and see if fuel comes out of the carb.
- then slowly tilt the inverted car so that you eventually have the exhaust port at the lowest point and continue on as if you're "pouring" the fuel out of the exhaust itself.
- now turn your flywheel say 90 degrees and do the invert trick again.
- do this a few times until you think/feel that you've "poured" out as much fuel as you can.

Then, without any fuel in the tank and with a fuly charged glow plug driver/igniter try and start the engine again.

Assuming that your plug isn't blown and that the settings on the needles haven't been messed with too much, it should start for a short while and then dies when all the fuel is burnt.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:00 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for you good reply Sow&Steady!

There are a few things that I do not understand as this is my very first nitro R/C car. Firstly, where and what is the servo linkage and where is the carb?

And where/what is the flywheel? Thanks so much for your help and understanding that this is probably the most stupid question you have ever heard

-Justin.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:19 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Sorry to sound stupid Honda_Civic_Si, but didn't you get a manual with a diagram with your brand new RTR? Without going into great detail, the diagram in the manual will show you the location of each item mentioned.
sook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 02:20 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_Civic_Si
Thanks for you good reply Sow&Steady!

There are a few things that I do not understand as this is my very first nitro R/C car. Firstly, where and what is the servo linkage and where is the carb?

And where/what is the flywheel? Thanks so much for your help and understanding that this is probably the most stupid question you have ever heard

-Justin.
Sook is right ... any RTR kit will come with a manual with simple diagrams showing you those bits. Look into them or its going to be difficult to help you I'm afraid.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:22 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Thanks - I looked more into the manual, I thought the rest of it was just different languages, sure enough, there are blow up diagrams. Phew..

-Justin.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:44 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Ok, so I went out and bought some new tubing, a proper wrench, and some more glowplugs just in case.

I have tried everything and read this tutorial: http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articles/pistonpower1.asp

and still nothing. I unflooded the engine, and nothing.

What can I do? I am so frustrated with this thing!

One more question, how many turns should the little main needle valve be turned? My manual said 3 and that is what I did, however, lots of fuel was leaking everywhere and I don't know where from

What should I try next, maybe there should be a step by step instruction on how to start this because what I am doing just doesn't seem to work. This one has the Rotostart. I did read the manual.

-Justin.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:05 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Why not bring your rtr to the shop & ask for physical help. By doing this, you will learn on-site as well...
JohnMontoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 08:07 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

That is what I am planning to do tomorrow then. I really want this thing to work!

-Justin.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:11 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to compaq888

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_Civic_Si
That is what I am planning to do tomorrow then. I really want this thing to work!

-Justin.
I've always had problems starting a HPI engine. When I got my RB that i'm using now i got it tuned by an expert and it starts right up

Anthony and Billy helped me put the clutch assembly on and it runs great. Go to a hobby shop or if you race ask the guys at the track to help you out, they got lots of experince.
compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 09:31 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Thanks so much compaq888 - that makes sense and I am so glad it just isnt me!

-Justin.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:40 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to compaq888

some people are good at something and other things they are not good at. I personally can't tune engines, but I can assemble and disassemble cars. You will learn it over time.
compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 02:48 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnMontoya
Why not bring your rtr to the shop & ask for physical help. By doing this, you will learn on-site as well...
How much money do you think it costs for this?

-Justin.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:53 PM   #15
Tech Adept

My LHS, advise is always free. On hand physical work done to rc cost for most people. Most of your LHS wants you to learn to race or run your rc so that they could gain your business.
sook is offline   Reply With Quote