Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Estimate the efficently of 2spd tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Default How efficient is a 2spd tranny.

Say you rc Gurus there are 2 designs of 2 speed tranny the pawl design and the cluthshoe design. Based on lockup at engament I would rate the pawl at 100% efficient and the clutchshoe type at 97%-98% Whats your opinion??

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 01-18-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I don't want to get too far into this. But I would say the shoe design would be more efficient. In a shoe design you have more surface contact area and where as in a paw design your only contact area would be where paw touches the 2nd speed gear holder.
Some paw designed 2 speed's there was only one paw. So Depending on when the paw engaged you might have to wait one complete revolution of the holder until the paw would engage the holder, a clutch shoe design does not have to wait.

Pass you soon...

Pass you soon...
Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Tech Lord

The clutch shoe type comes in with a small moment of slip keepng the gears more alive when switching to 2nd gear.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
The clutch shoe type comes in with a small moment of slip keepng the gears more alive when switching to 2nd gear.
.............Roelof would you rate the effciency of the clutch style 2 speed at about 97% ?? Roelof I am wanting to build a 2 speed for 1/5 scale Onroad.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
.............Roelof would you rate the effciency of the clutch style 2 speed at about 97% ?? Roelof I am wanting to build a 2 speed for 1/5 scale Onroad.
I would not worry about efficiency unless your drag racing. I would be more concerned with how much torque is going to applied to the drivetrain when 2nd gear engages.

Pass you soon...
Old 01-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Tech Lord

In the past FG had a 2-speed and if I am right it was based on a lever hooking into the 2nd gear adapter. I think it is the better choice to get it right within the RPM range you have.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I find that the shoes don't really wear much so they aren't slipping very much. It seems like there is just a bit of slip on engagement (which is good for stability and reduction of wheelspin) but after that it might as well be locked up. I feel it is a much better design than the old lever style.

Last edited by wingracer; 01-18-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
I find that the shoes don't really wear much so they aren't slipping very much. It seems like there is just a bit of slip on engagement (which is good for stability and reduction of wheelspin) but after that it might as well be locked up. I feel it is a much better design that the old lever style.
+1

It only slips slightly on engagement. If the shoe was slipping constantly it would wear out as fast as a slipping clutch shoe.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

The pawl design 2 spd is failing when combined with the higher hp modded gas engines. Thanks for your help DSMotorsport and wingracer. And everybody else who posted .