R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-30-2006, 02:40 PM   #241
Tech Adept

Thank you guys, I most likely keep the rs4 3 till im ready to step up considering i got this for cheap and I wont have to fork out extra money for the ntc3.

I do alot of parking lot bashing and I want more handling out of it. what do you guys suggest to go with suspension wise for this car?
PSiDAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:52 PM   #242
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to integra evan Send a message via MSN to integra evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSiDAWD
I do alot of parking lot bashing and I want more handling out of it. what do you guys suggest to go with suspension wise for this car?
Change the settings of the camber/toe/caster around on the arms and hubs and such. It's explained inside your owner's manual. Keep on trying different combinations until you reach the setting you like best.
integra evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:35 PM   #243
Tech Adept

ok Im looking at the manual. The rear toe setting got me a little confused. It has 4 holes on the part thats closes to the wheel, which the kit setting is 2degrees. ( upper most hole )

what are the other 3 holes below it? where do you put it to acheive 1degree of toe in?

Also there another lower hole on the part where its closes to the diff. do I even thouch is and if i do move it what setting will it acheive.

I dont have any tools to measure camber/caster or toe in. any information will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:43 PM   #244
Tech Adept

ok i looked at it carefully and theres settings show under camber link.

what I dont understand it how to do the toe and caster settings.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:45 PM   #245
Tech Regular

I wouldn't bother with the rear toe...just front toe if you need it. I don't have a camber/caster tool either, but you can definitely tell by looks and the wear on your tires (especially foam ones).
Old 03-30-2006, 06:53 PM   #246
Tech Adept

where do I ajust for front toe?

someone please link me to suspension basics!
Old 03-30-2006, 08:51 PM   #247
Tech Regular

Actually I'm wrong...you can't really change front toe, but changing the front caster and camber will affect the toe slightly.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:25 PM   #248
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to gfd2726

Hello all,

Anyone here has this O.S 18TZ pull start version engine in their HPI RS4 3? Any problem with fitting this engine in the car at all? Thanks!
gfd2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:09 AM   #249
Tech Apprentice

Default the 18tz

the 18 is an overkill for the rs4. Although i haven't fitted that machine, the 12TR by OS is more than enough, more so you can race it legally. 18s are not legal for races. This issue of putting it on the RS4, yeah, it is possible, in fact the latest RS4 has an 18 on it.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:17 AM   #250
bjc
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Myself and a friend fitted the OS .12TR to his RS4-3.
It was an absolute nightmare for him in regards to fitting and parts availability here in Australia.
We ended up with the .12TR SG shaft and rotary carb, used the HPI non pullstart flywheel, Kyosho short engine mounts, Gryphon pipe and header.
We had to dent in the header to clear the rear right tyre as the TSAIS header he bought was exactly the same and didnt fit without hitting the tyre and suspension camber arm.
He is still running it in but on 5% nitro this thing is a weapon compared to my Nosram .15 that I have in the same car

Cheers,
Brett
bjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #251
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to gfd2726

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysss
the 18 is an overkill for the rs4. Although i haven't fitted that machine, the 12TR by OS is more than enough, more so you can race it legally. 18s are not legal for races. This issue of putting it on the RS4, yeah, it is possible, in fact the latest RS4 has an 18 on it.
I had a O.S TR on it before and it's fair... I need something faster. This car is just too heavy (stock). I have too many "race legal" cars so this car is mainly for speeding up & down the street (using cool bodies beside Mazda 6) in front of my house. So no one here has O.S 18TZ (pull start version) in their car? Thanks.
gfd2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:33 AM   #252
bjc
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysss
if you will be upgrading, the best is to look for the parts now onboard the 18SS. the 18ss kit is fitted with more impact resistant parts, however, you cannot race it since it is equipped with an 18 engine, race spec is 12 only. To compete in teh HPI class the HPI XS12 engine is the best engine, and but it has to be started with a starter box. Lately i have fitted a centax clutch of HPI R40 and it worked too well i can race the A class now with my rs4. Change the spur with 41-45 combination and teh green pinions for even faster speeds. However, remember, speed = greater breakage. I will try to post the pic of my revised rs4 fitted with gears from teh 18ss, it rips and it doesn't break now. The first change though after fitting a good engine is to fit the heavy duty center axles from hot bodies, theyre bullet proof, if you dont, you will hate the rs4.
Billysss,

Can you supply us with some photos of your centax clutch as the standard one is crap when racing.
I get 3mins into the race and it wont change gears.

Please Help,
Brett
bjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:31 PM   #253
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to phillyfan5420

yeah lets see some pics of the clutch billysss
phillyfan5420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:50 AM   #254
Tech Rookie

Default problem with HPI RS4 RTR3

First of all let me say I am new to this whole RC hobby. I think it would be a better use of my time and money instead of just playing games on the internet. So anyways, 5 months ago my uncle gave me this car. It was missing a few parts, so me being the 12 year old kid I am, just thought, ehh *shoves it on shelf*, I didn't have anymoney to fix it up and my parents we're not so good with money at the time. So a week or 2 ago, I moved to San Diego from Vegas, we started unpacking boxes (i dont remember packing the car), so there it was the car. The last 3 days I went to my local hobby shop and got the required parts, gas, igniter and all. I got it to start, but theres 2 problems. Remember, I don't know all this "lingo" but I'll try. I'd start up the engine and gas would literally be spit out of the exhaust I think it is. How could I fix that. Problem number 2 the engine would start but almost always dies in 10 seconds. It never idles, it never just sits there without the wheels moving. How could I stop that. Thanks.

If you don't want to read all that.
Problem 1 : Gas is literally spit out through the exhaust
Problem 2 : Car never idles, the wheels are always moving.
I spent about 50bucks on this car and I am hoping these problems could be fixed.
dopex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #255
Tech Master

You should have some oily fuel residue spitting out especially at lower RPM's. You should be able to adjust your idle speed lower so it will idle without the wheels wanting to spin. Try going to www.hpiracing.com and looking around. They have some really good information to get you going.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote