R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #16
Tech Apprentice

Oh sorry i didnt relise you posted on the other thread ill check it out now

I ran it in rich, then gradually leaned it and it still ran, but then turned it off and tried to start it again an hour or 2 later, it just wouldnt start, untill i richened it again

Once going it ran fine, but rich.

Ill have another crack at it tonight.

Thanks for the help, ill check out the other thread now if i can find it

Thanks
onlinegamesnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Thanks again for you help guys!

I took it to another guy to tune up, charged me 30$ and now its running nicely, he did the gearbox too

Im pretty sure i had to engine tuned anyway it was more the gearbox casue it wasnt changing into second, now its awesome.

Few questions,

how often do i need to service the diffs and re oil them etc?
when i pull off fast, the car spits quite a bit, then pulls off slow? is this normal?
and can you put bigger fuel taks in them?

Thanks!!

PS. can you post me a link to that other post, i cant find it anywhere :P
Old 12-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinegamesnz View Post
Thanks again for you help guys!

I took it to another guy to tune up, charged me 30$ and now its running nicely, he did the gearbox too

Im pretty sure i had to engine tuned anyway it was more the gearbox casue it wasnt changing into second, now its awesome.

Few questions,

how often do i need to service the diffs and re oil them etc?
when i pull off fast, the car spits quite a bit, then pulls off slow? is this normal?
and can you put bigger fuel taks in them?

Thanks!!

PS. can you post me a link to that other post, i cant find it anywhere :P
Honestly, I never serviced my diffs and I raced every week. If an outdrive broke or needed replacing, the diff was still in great condition and I would re-lubricate it when replacing the outdrive. Chances are this will be the same for you. Unless you want to tune your diffs, which considering you're just starting out you're a long way off from worrying about that, you should be fine with them the way they are.

As for your acceleration issues it sounds like your bottom end is still a little rich. I hate to comment on that without seeing it but if, when you pull the trigger, the car doesn't move, spits out a bunch of fuel, almost dies, then slowly "clears out" and begins to accelerate that is pretty typical of a rich bottom end. Check out my post in the other thread for more info on adjusting your needles.

For the link to that thread, see my first post on page one of this thread.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:36 AM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for you reply, ive printed out the other post and will have a crack at tuning the bottom end.

Thanks for your help guys, ill post back if i have anymore trouble.

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice

just to clarify quick guys, if i change this needle,

New RC Nitro On road help?-needles%5B1%5D.jpg

which is on the accelerator boot thing, this will help the sluggish acceleration? bottom end needle?

Thanks!!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:41 AM   #21
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
just to clarify quick guys, if i change this needle,

Attachment 843429

which is on the accelerator boot thing, this will help the sluggish acceleration? bottom end needle?

Thanks!!
Hey there, it's quite simple once you get your head around it, from there it becomes a science in itself.

LSN/HSN
There are two needles in series, the first being the TOP or HSN which governs the overall fuel to air mix. This is primarily used for top end speed but should also be used with consideration to fuel pressure. Lean it (Close the tap) too far and you can reduce fuel pressure at idle.

Idle screw and LSN
The second needle is the tricky one, it works in conjuction with the jet that feeds the carburettor. Depending on motor it also changes when youi adjust the Idle screw as well. Opening the Idle gap with teh dile screw will open the gap between the LSN (bottom needle) and hence richen up the bottom.

Essential Bottom Tuning
The key to good tuning once an engine is run in is the bottom end or idle tune. To achieve this you best set the idle gap to the manufacturers specs and then tune the LSN needle from there. Leaning or closing the LSN will bring the idle up, richening will bring it down.

False idle
The most common error is having too much of an Idle gap and too rich a LSN and it creates a False Idle as the richness of the LSN bring s the idle down. This is most apparent when you full throttle down a straight and when you back off the throttle the idle stays very high and then drops once the idle mixture richens and lowers the idle.

Other issues.
If tuning is erratic, it could be:
Air leaks in lines and seals - Excess air - Leaning
Air Leak in Fuel tank - Low fuel pressure - Leaning
Bad plug - Erratic engine tune
Bad compression - Erratic engine tune.

No, this is not a completle solution.. but more to think about.

http://www.beachmumsracing.org.au/fyi/santalovesnitro/

h
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:51 AM   #22
Tech Apprentice

i just wanted to say thanks to EVERYONE who helped me out, my car seems to be going fine now and if i have anymore problems i will no dobt post back, this has been the most helpful forum i think ive ever come accross!!

Thanks heaps guys!!

PS. sorry about the slip-up in the beginning, i thought that first post never made it lol :P
Old 12-07-2011, 03:19 AM   #23
Tech Apprentice

so, i stripped my gears today, or GEAR. 1st gear is completely smoothed off. Any reason why this would happen. The hobby shop says it may have something to do with the motor moving?

Quite upset

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Quote:
so, i stripped my gears today, or GEAR. 1st gear is completely smoothed off. Any reason why this would happen. The hobby shop says it may have something to do with the motor moving?

Quite upset

Thanks!
That can be part of the problem. However, with the two speed you have to check gear mesh of BOTH gears when you mount the engine. Believe it or not, you can have the engine mounted with a slight twist and if you do, mesh of one set of gears can be fine but the other set's mesh may be off and cause gear damage.

When you install the new spur gear, double check your gear mesh of BOTH sets of gears. You should have only a slight bit of play between the spur gear and clutch bell. Be sure both are set this way. You don't want either to be too tight or too loose.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #25
Tech Apprentice

hi, here an update!

the cars running quite well now, however when i de accelerate i get a funny noise like a vibration?? maybe the diff im not sure? not even sure if its a biggie?

also, now that the cars running quite well, what do i need to do to service it to get the maximum out of it and a long life?

Thanks for your help again guys!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Quote:
hi, here an update!

the cars running quite well now, however when i de accelerate i get a funny noise like a vibration?? maybe the diff im not sure? not even sure if its a biggie?

also, now that the cars running quite well, what do i need to do to service it to get the maximum out of it and a long life?

Thanks for your help again guys!
Could be a number of things. Bent belt shaft, bent dog bone, damaged wheel or a tire that is not installed properly. Best thing to do is take all your tires off and run it that way. See if the vibration continues. If so, remove the front belt or driveshaft and see if the problem continues. If so, remove the rear belt or driveshaft and again see if the problem persists. If at any point the problem goes away, whatever you just disabled (tires, front drive train, rear drive train) is causing the problem. If the problem still persists when there is nothng moving other than the engine, the problem lies in the engine or clutch assembly.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #27
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Could be a number of things. Bent belt shaft, bent dog bone, damaged wheel or a tire that is not installed properly. Best thing to do is take all your tires off and run it that way. See if the vibration continues. If so, remove the front belt or driveshaft and see if the problem continues. If so, remove the rear belt or driveshaft and again see if the problem persists. If at any point the problem goes away, whatever you just disabled (tires, front drive train, rear drive train) is causing the problem. If the problem still persists when there is nothng moving other than the engine, the problem lies in the engine or clutch assembly.
Thanks for your reply, i will try these steps

have you got any tips for servicing and maintaining the engine etc?

Thanks again!
Old 12-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #28
Tech Apprentice

ok, so i have another little issue, hopefully its little

its a sticky throttle. When i start it it idles nicely, as soon as i accelerate and then release the accelerator (de-accelerate) it idles really high, then i push the throttle forward it drops the idle back to normal.

Ive done it with the car off to see exaclty what is happenning and i can see the throttle sticking. Ive tried some adjustment with the arms on the servos but its at its minimum, if i go any lower with it it dies and doesnt start like the carby is CLOSED!

so, is there any way to get the throttle to not stick, maybe crc it upo a bit or something?

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #29
Tech Apprentice

Anybody?

Please help us out
Old 12-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Make sure your springs are "pushing" the return closed. If it still sticks open wrap a spring or rubber band around the high speed needle shaft to the linkage ball end. I do this anyways in case of radio malfunction. Just don't go over tight with it.
I use goody brand silicon bands that girls use in their hair, pkg of about 100 for 2 bucks!
triple7s is offline   Reply With Quote