Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turbo plugs ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 02:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Turbo plugs ?

Could someone tell me why I should use a turbo plug and why not . I recently bought a R&B X12 and I said to the salesguy I wanted a normal plug but I got a turbo plug insted. What should I do ,return it or keep it?
Old 01-01-2005, 03:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default turbo plug

Turbo plug has better tighten ability and said to be slightly more powerful for stable compression in high temperature.

to me, using turbo plug i do not need to worry about the cupper o-ring because turbo plug don't have one. also I felt that turbo plug is better off in durability. it seems last longer somehow, that is my 2 sense
but the drew back of turbo plug is the price, almost 2 time of regular plug. also egnine with turbo head is incapable of using piston lock that thread from the top.
in my opinion, stay with turbo plug is fine, just don't burn out them too quick purposely
Old 01-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You have to have the proper turbo type head to need a turbo glow plug. If your engine came with a standard type glow plug you have to keep running that style glow plug.

The turbo plug has a tapered seal at the bottom of the plug. The standard type plug uses a copper washer to seal the plug at the top of the threads.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:50 AM
afm
Tech Master

Default Re: Turbo plugs ?

Originally posted by JosB
Could someone tell me why I should use a turbo plug and why not . I recently bought a R&B X12 and I said to the salesguy I wanted a normal plug but I got a turbo plug insted. What should I do ,return it or keep it?
ABOUT TURBO GLOW PLUGS

Turbo Glow Plugs where designed to give more performance to an engine, for the following reasons:

· It forms an uninterrupted combustion chamber.
· The advantage of better heat transfer or heat dissipation, and a leak proof seal, generated by the conical seat of the plug.
· The greater choice of thermal ranges, that allow for more precise tuning according to variations in weather conditions (temperature, humidity, height, barometric pressure, etc.).

The numbers and characters on the plugs, are the product number, wire thickness, and thermal range of the plug’s body. Example: The Mega Turbo 2315 6TF

§ Product Number: 2315
§ Wire Thickness: 6
§ Plug Type: T (Turbo)
§ Thermal Range: F (Fredda)(Cold)

The plugs with cold thermal range F(Fredda), have a body with thinner walls, so they dissipate heat better and faster to the engine head. So because of that:

· When the ambient temperature is high, we have to use a plug with thicker wire.
· Humidity determines if we use a Cold (F) thermal range, or Hot (C)(Calda) thermal range.
· With high humidity percentage we should use a Hot (C) thermal range plug.
· If we have high temperature and high humidity, we should use a plug with thick wire and a Hot(C) thermal range.

The best instrument to determine which Turbo Plug to use, is those weather panels they sell for Yachts, that have Temp, Humidity and Barometric Pressure on them. Have it calibrated at your local weather station, and bingo, you’re ready like the Pros.
That is the key to success or failure tuning engines with Turbo Glow Plugs, because they are so sensitive to weather variations that is unbelievable.

Following is a selection chart for Novarossi Turbo Glow Plugs:

Type Thermal Range Nitro% Temp.Cº Humidity%

C5TC Hot/hot wire 10-20 0-10 70-100
C6TC Hot/average wire 10-20 10-16 70-100
C7TC Hot/cold wire 20-30 16-25 70-100
C8TC Hot/ultra cold wire 20-30 25-up 70-100
C5TF Cold/hot wire 20-30 0-10 40-70
C6TF Cold/average wire 20-30 10-15 40-70
C7TF Cold/cold wire 20-up 16-25 40-70
C8TF Cold/ultra cold wire 20-up 25-up 40-70

Hope this helps

AFM
Old 01-01-2005, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Turbo plugs ?

Originally posted by JosB
i feeel a bit confuse

does the quote above means we can use a turbo/non turbo glowplug 4 the same engine?

what i understand the button head is different and we have to use a glowplug which is suitable with the button head ..?
Old 01-02-2005, 06:19 AM
afm
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Turbo plugs ?

Originally posted by rcabj
i feeel a bit confuse

does the quote above means we can use a turbo/non turbo glowplug 4 the same engine?

what i understand the button head is different and we have to use a glowplug which is suitable with the button head ..?
You are right, so don't get confused, each plug type needs it's own type head button. Probably the engine JosB bought has a Turbo head button and the salesman at his HS reccomended the right plug.

AFM
Old 01-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks you guys(and girls?)this info has really helped me out.I actually ordered an engine with a normal plug but got the turbo version insted. No worries anymore thanks to you all out there.