R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-10-2004, 07:34 AM   #16
Tech Apprentice

If you want a centax clutch then try to find any of the following on ebay.

Mugen Pro Spec clutch- it comes with 21/27 pinions and parts are easy to get at the track and it is 0.8M gears

Yokomo- it comes with 20/21 and 26/27 pinions it cost a little more but is high quality and you will have some short track pinions.

Or Ofna/Hongnor it comes with 21/27 pinions and looks to be well made and has the corrcet 0.8m gears.

many of the other centax clutches come with 22/26 pinions which won't be ideal, remember the most common ratio used by Baker is 21/27 on pinions so why would you buy a cenatx and then have to buy new gears?

A centax clutch is not hard to set up or use, It DOES offer a lot more punch out of turns and off the line.

If you can set and tune your two speed then you can tune a centax easily. Once it is set you only have to clean and oil the bearings and thrust bearing every other race weekend and it will last you all season. With a 1/8 onroad car you chnage the shoe every 3-4 races but with a TC it should last a whole season or more with no problems.

I would assume by the answers already given that they have limited experience with clutches.
FFR3582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:36 AM   #17
mxs
Tech Adept

Default K-factory push type vs. 3 shoe hard

Border r/c,

I am guessing you were probably talking about this push type clutch(k1215) you have on your web site.

http://shop.the-border.nl/customer/home.php?cat=312

Now, since you seem to be familiar with this centex type clutch, can you pls breakdown for me the difference in performance between this clutch and the standard 3 shoe with stiff springs? The difference in price is quite a lot, also you will need a new gears, so if there's no significant improvement why bother spending the extra dollar.

Also, can you comment on comparison of k1240 and stock 3 shoe AE clutch. The flywheel seems to be lighter and shoes are harder...

Thanks

Marek
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:43 AM   #18
mxs
Tech Adept

FFR3582,

thanks for your post.

I have no worries that I will not be able to set the clutch up, I am just not totally sold on the fact that the extra money spent on centex for my NTC3 will show any marginal improvement. Your experience is telling me that there's a lot more punch out of corners. Can you go a little further and say that your NTC3 without centex would be slower? Most of the times people talk talk about better punch, so that is telling me that for long tracks, wide sweeping corners there will be not much advantage for centex, correct?

I agree with you on 21/27 pinions. They are the best for most applications.

BTW what centex doyou have on your car?

Marek
Old 12-10-2004, 09:46 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

the stuff on that site is so damn expensive man!!!!!!!!
factory racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:33 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Barry Baker vs Centax Clutch

Just reading through this post on the Centax clutch reminded me of an interview Barry Baker did for the Racing Lines magazine here in Australia (August 2004).
Heres Barry`s comments-

Racing Lines: "The 2 shoe clutch is still supplied with the Factory Team version. Any reason why the modern centax clutch is not used?"

Barry Baker:" I myself have gone back and forth between both of them.
I find the only advantage that the centax clutch has is that you can adjust it while its still in the car.
With that said, the original two shoe (if set correctly)is a much better and consistent design"

Cheers
AndyT  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:38 PM   #21
mxs
Tech Adept

Interesting indeed...................
Old 12-10-2004, 03:54 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by mxs
Interesting indeed...................
Again, I have to say 1 thing....AE 2 shoes, or 3 shoes....they are INDEED still the best overall ALL AROUND clutch for NTC3.

I used the Mugen one because...

(1) I've got mine used....less then $40 with a 21/27 0.8 gear, why not...
(2) I can try the TALLEST gear 22/29T........but a little disappointed due to the NTC3 internal ratio does not work with that high gear....(lot of over spin and waste of power) and I think 21/28T are the tallest that you should try (if you do have 200' plus long straight...) stock 21/27 will give you the BEST overall speed.
(3)...I used a mod Mugen X12 engine...I found the 2 shoes are slipping big time....but I didn't try the 3 shoes with copper springs...and I think the 3 shoes with copper (hard) springs WILL work great on ntc3...but I've still want to use the Cetnax cause, I brought 1, better use it...
(4) never have to worrry about clutch slipping....unless my clutch shoes are worn out....but I used a RED shoe, it will take a while to wear that one out...

Overall, I don't have to use the CENTAX....but my feeling about the CENTAX on my NTC3 is nothing LESS then the 2 shoes clutch or others with 3 shoes clutch....the keyword is "PAR"....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 03:52 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Remember Baker is paid to use Associated cars and that means he will support them even if they are out dated or have a design flaw/ weak area.

I believe he has been using the Yokomo centax exclusively for atleast the last year at the big races.

If the standard 2 or 3 shoe clutch offered any performance advantage or was not at a disadvantage then you would see other high end TC using them.

I am sure the standard 2 or 3 shoe clutch only has one advantage it is simple there for it is reliable. But the centax has also proven to be very reliable and offers many benefits not found in a 2/3 shoe clutch.
FFR3582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 04:04 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Yes, according to the setup sheets on AE`s website, Barry used the Yokomo Centax at the Toledo Gas Nats 9/04.
His setup sheet for the Las Vegas race however makes no real mention of which clutch setup he used.......its marked as "cut/other" on his setup sheet.
I`d be interested to know the details of this clutch setup.
AndyT  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 10:54 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

guys i say the three shoe set up with the gold (hard) springs is the way to go with out spending the cash on the centax clutch setup......the three shoe clutch works just as fine im guessing.....
Old 12-11-2004, 11:44 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to FUK_WRX Send a message via AIM to FUK_WRX Send a message via MSN to FUK_WRX Send a message via Yahoo to FUK_WRX
Default so where does the kawahara stand

Man this centax thing is spinning me out i got my eyes set on the kawahara unit, the only reason i want to upgrade to a centax is i dont want to cut the crank shaft of my engine.
FUK_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 12:30 AM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Why do you need to cut the crankshaft? Most centaxes only work on SG shaft, although I think mugen made an adapter for treaded shaft.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 12:50 AM   #28
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to FUK_WRX Send a message via AIM to FUK_WRX Send a message via MSN to FUK_WRX Send a message via Yahoo to FUK_WRX

Quote:
Originally posted by nitrodude
Why do you need to cut the crankshaft? Most centaxes only work on SG shaft, although I think mugen made an adapter for treaded shaft.
Well to be able to sit the NTC3 pilot shaft on the engine (NON-SG) you must cut the crankshaft down if there is another way around it i would not buy a centax. Any ideas?
FUK_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 05:52 AM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by FUK_WRX
Well to be able to sit the NTC3 pilot shaft on the engine (NON-SG) you must cut the crankshaft down if there is another way around it i would not buy a centax. Any ideas?
The answer might be: get a SG shaft engine...

Anyway, I'm using HN LS36 centax on my NTC3. It's carefree, it makes my NTC3 faster/puncher, and no slip whatsoever. The only downside it's a little bit heavier than stock 3shoes clutch (oh, and it need some extra works on shimming the gear so it can perfectly fit to stock engine, but with Yokomo NTC3 centax, you don't need to do that shimming, it's design for NTC3 with similar spec with MTX3 centax).
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 09:17 AM   #30
Tech Fanatic

there is no way around cutting your crank shaft.....you have to cut it a little shorter so u can adapt the clutch nut and the shaft onto your motor which is given to u in the kit.......the only way around that is getting an SG style crankshaft.......