R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #31
Tech Addict
 
hitcharide1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 651
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmopar View Post
I know nothing about this car but my guess is your going to find cheap soft plastics that strip out very easily, soft hinge pins that bend and you won't know it till you take the car apart and find your suspension arms are bound up, and just because of the low grade materials used it won't hold a set up for long. I could be wrong but these would be my worries when buying this car. I'm glad I will get a chance to see it in action for myself this summer. When are you coming up to race with us next?
My wretched, weary arthritic self will be up there by Friday. The long range weather forecast isn't looking so hopeful right now but so long as it doesn't rain we're committed to getting in a day of practice since the Toledo Midwest race is just around the corner. I've got rubber to test, I've got 4wd to figure out...got my work cut out for me. I'll be coming up with lots of questions, hope some people can steer me in the right direction.
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #32
Tech Addict
 
hitcharide1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 651
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default By the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmopar View Post
I know nothing about this car but my guess is your going to find cheap soft plastics that strip out very easily, soft hinge pins that bend and you won't know it till you take the car apart and find your suspension arms are bound up, and just because of the low grade materials used it won't hold a set up for long. I could be wrong but these would be my worries when buying this car. I'm glad I will get a chance to see it in action for myself this summer. When are you coming up to race with us next?
That's why I'm the sacrificial lamb in this case...lol. If the car is at least average, you'll hear it from me...and if it's substandard you'll hear that as well. At this time I have zero financial interest in it either way other than to save my wallet some grief. If it turns out well, I want ppl to know there's an affordable option...if not, I want ppl to know that as well so they can avoid a costly error. Basically what I'm doing is a win/win for anyone that has questions about Edam.
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #33
Tech Regular
 
ma racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 324
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Hitch,
Let me know how I can help!!!!! Feel free to ask questions!
__________________
It's not a hobby.....It's a passion!!
ma racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #34
Tech Addict
 
hitcharide1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 651
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma racer View Post
Hitch,
Let me know how I can help!!!!! Feel free to ask questions!
Any help at all will be appreciated. I know tons about Delta...and diddly about new 4wd. This'll be a learning experience for sure, so any suggestions, advice or even vague hints will be appreciated as to setup/maintenance.
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #35
Tech Addict
 
hitcharide1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 651
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcharide1 View Post
My wretched, weary arthritic self will be up there by Friday. The long range weather forecast isn't looking so hopeful right now but so long as it doesn't rain we're committed to getting in a day of practice since the Toledo Midwest race is just around the corner. I've got rubber to test, I've got 4wd to figure out...got my work cut out for me. I'll be coming up with lots of questions, hope some people can steer me in the right direction.
Everyone is welcome to have a peek at it, if we get free time you can take it for a lap or two...just remember if you break it, you bought it! (lol..unless it's something I have parts for, I ordered up about 150 in spare parts which is practically another entire car but you may have a new way of breaking stuff I don't have parts for.)
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #36
Tech Regular
 
ma racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 324
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Hitch,
so far I have noticed that the Razor likes to be fairly soft. running 500 or 550 wt shock oil. I tend to stay around a 6 or 7 ride height. Of course, this being said, it all depends on track conditions. The green clutch shoe and the 20kg clutch spring is a great combination. Also, try the track width at 253 front and 263 rear. Seems to be a good starting point.

Let me know how else I can help out.
__________________
It's not a hobby.....It's a passion!!
ma racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:55 AM   #37
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9
Default

nice track really.
crazytank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #38
Tech Addict
 
hitcharide1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 651
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma racer View Post
Hitch,
so far I have noticed that the Razor likes to be fairly soft. running 500 or 550 wt shock oil. I tend to stay around a 6 or 7 ride height. Of course, this being said, it all depends on track conditions. The green clutch shoe and the 20kg clutch spring is a great combination. Also, try the track width at 253 front and 263 rear. Seems to be a good starting point.

Let me know how else I can help out.
I don't have the green, all I have is the red and a backup red...so that'll be awhile unless I find someone elses that fits well. What were you running shore wise on tires?
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #39
Tech Regular
 
ma racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 324
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

On most of our tracks, its fairly safe to say 32f-35r for qualifiers and mains could be anything, depending on timed length of the main.

I try to run 32-35 for all quals, but it just depends on the gritty-ness of the track.
__________________
It's not a hobby.....It's a passion!!
ma racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #40
Tech Addict
 
hitcharide1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 651
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma racer View Post
On most of our tracks, its fairly safe to say 32f-35r for qualifiers and mains could be anything, depending on timed length of the main.

I try to run 32-35 for all quals, but it just depends on the gritty-ness of the track.
I ran it some at the club race yesterday. I've got an exhaust prob I could fix onsite (tube melting the exhaust line, and I forgot shield) but what I could run of it.....wow.

I'm used to old school, which is get out of the corner, hammer on the gas, get to the next corner, and so forth. With this thing I had to feather the gas because it's so quick, there just isn't time to get it up to full speed...frankly, don't need much of a motor to get this thing around a track fast.

The S&H 21 I have on it is incredible. Plenty of punch and no lack of top end. Just to satisfy my curiosity, I ran the factory setup out of the box on both the car AND the motor. I can already tell I'll need more laptime because right now the car exceeds my ability (pushing the envelope) but the car is so easy to drive that I think anyone could do very well with it.

I let a friend of mine try a few laps at it...he's pretty much a newbie...and he wrecked it twice, both hard impacts, side and front, and flipped the car. No damage whatsoever, hardly a scratch. I had some doubts because I've seen other cars (mugen, serpent, kyosho) take hits and come apart like crash test dummies, and frankly the edam is basically the same car, but maybe edam is using some better quality stuff or something because I fully expected either of those hits to break something in a huge way and was pleasantly disappointed.

I really don't have the words to express how happy I am with this car so far. I had high hopes, but low expectations, because it is a small company trying to get a foothold in the market. I was willing to settle for average performance and consider it a fair trade off for cost. I think I've bought the equal of any car on the track for a lot less, I'm looking forward to driving this thing a lot in the future.
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #41
Tech Regular
 
ma racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 324
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Hitch-
glad you like it!!!!!!
__________________
It's not a hobby.....It's a passion!!
ma racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT class--buggy-based on road! duneland Nitro On-Road 9643 11-16-2016 04:11 AM
GT 1/8 Scale Rules and Set-Up Information Clete Landefeld Nitro On-Road 319 04-17-2012 02:18 PM
1/8 Buggy MNL 2011 RND 5 3stonepark Malaysian R/C Racers 89 11-17-2011 03:12 AM
RCMC Singapore on-road 2011 National Series, round3, 29 May 2011 bullygod Singapore R/C Racers 36 05-28-2011 02:41 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:12 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net