Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foam tire Q&A

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 05:32 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

You can run them until you see the plastic from the rims coming through!! You will notice that your car's handling will change .....it gets to a point where you cannot accept the handling change...different people have different tolerance levels!!!
Old 06-10-2002, 06:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

QUESTION?
HAVE ANY OF YOU TRIED THE ZAC PROJECT FOAM TIRES I WILL LIKE TO KNOW IF THEY ARE GOOD I HAVE USED ELLEGI AND YOKOMO SO FAR AND WOULD LIKE TO TRY ANOTHER BRAND. I TRY THE YOKOMO FOAM ONCE BUT DID NOT LIKE THEM. THEY STRIP ON THE INSIDE OF THE RIM WHERE THE HEX GOES ON. I HAD TO TRASH THEM ALMOUST NEW.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:17 AM

Saw some new prolines this weekend. GRP rubber! Nice solid 5 spoke wheel, kinda like the elli serpent rims in white. Hopefully they will sell at the same price as the other GRP rubber.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:54 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Joehwee
What diameter should I stop running the foam? 58-59mm ??? Any advise will be appreciated.

TIA
I usually run my rears down to the plastic. The catch is to have the car setup properly to minimize the chance of chunking the tire, especially when they're that thin. Like dtm said, it will drastically change the handling of the car. However, I know this and will change my setup slightly to compensate, depending on how much of the tire is gone. My fronts vary. I wear them down until I don't have any rear tires smaller than the fronts. This way, I don't upset my overdive to much.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally posted by sneezer714
QUESTION?
HAVE ANY OF YOU TRIED THE ZAC PROJECT FOAM TIRES I WILL LIKE TO KNOW IF THEY ARE GOOD I HAVE USED ELLEGI AND YOKOMO SO FAR AND WOULD LIKE TO TRY ANOTHER BRAND. I TRY THE YOKOMO FOAM ONCE BUT DID NOT LIKE THEM. THEY STRIP ON THE INSIDE OF THE RIM WHERE THE HEX GOES ON. I HAD TO TRASH THEM ALMOUST NEW.
I've heard alot of good reports about the Zac tyre, as alot of people are using them.

We have just began running the New ATS Foams, Italian 30mm mounted on Serpent tyre rims, so far very good. The rim is far stronger then the FAST/Sprint rims, and they are very good quality.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:20 PM
Tech Adept

i was running grp foams thay were good
but have now changed to anetti
very good and the rims are heaps stronger [serpent i think]
Old 06-11-2002, 01:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Sneezer--

I have run both the ZAC (Kawahara) foams and the Mugen Fast foams.

The ZAC foams seem to make my car (Mugen MTX2) a little more stable vs the same set up with Fast foams (same shore rating for both sets --45 fronts and 40 rears, 26mm all around).

The difference wasn't monumental, but I did notice a slight difference in terms of stability. I'm certainly not a tire / foam expert, but maybe the multiring construction of the ZAC provides an additional degree of stability. The ZACs cost a little more, so whether or not the slight difference in feel is worth the few extra bucks is something that only you can answer. Overall, I don't think lap times were appreciably better with one set vs the other.

The hex hubs on the ZAC foams are really beefy and strong. I run a Richey RTU in my car and I have yet to strip out a hub. I have bent the heck out of the rim, but that goes for any brand of tire (front oneway + stacked 2x4s = bent rims -- or worse).

Hope this helps,
DT
Old 06-11-2002, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Zac tires are very expencive around here 36$cnd a pair versus Jacos at aroung 29$cnd and speedminds at 24$cnd a pair.

I ran a brand new set of speedminds this weekend new i think they were about 65mm tall 45frt 42rear. after the days total run of 50mins i had tires that measured:

front left 61.5mm front right 62.1mm
rear left 61.5mm rear right 62.0mm

I did not rotate the tires at all next time i will rotate fronts left and right and rears left and right... Looks as though on this day with that compound that front and rear where were equal with the left going down because of the larger amount of right hand cornering...
Old 06-12-2002, 06:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

THANKS GUY'S FOR ALL THE REPLYS, I THINK I WILL TRY THEM ON MY IMPULSE. ANOTHER QUESTION WHERE CAN I BUY THE ZAC TIRES ON-LINE IN THE U.S.A.
Old 06-12-2002, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Joel,

I'm thinking hard about those Speedmind tires right now.
How do they handle compared to let's say Ellegi's , Fast or any other GRP tire?

Thx,
Old 06-12-2002, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by sneezer714
THANKS GUY'S FOR ALL THE REPLYS, I THINK I WILL TRY THEM ON MY IMPULSE. ANOTHER QUESTION WHERE CAN I BUY THE ZAC TIRES ON-LINE IN THE U.S.A.
Speed Tech RC!
Old 06-12-2002, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Speedmind is distributed through magma international here in Canada.

They also have a nice new sedan too. MAGMA RC
Daytona

I did not like ellige tires they seemed to wear fast.... I have not used them in 2 years but i can tell you that the speedminds are nice and the RIMS are like no other you have tried. Our club has been running there rims on rubber indoor electric since the fall and i have yet to see a broken or warped rim.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:01 PM
Tech Adept

Default foams vs. Rubber

I'm not new to nitro but i've only used rubber because there is no where that sells foams. Are foams better than rubber and why. What surfaces are each good for. Are there different foams for different temps and surfaces (Concrete). Hard soft medium foams. I know nothing. I want to know also because my pro spec came with foams but. I love my rubber. Kinda scared to use foams. Engines cars nothing new, but foam tires??? Please help
Old 06-14-2002, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

The short answer:
Foams are better then rubber 99% of the time. When it comes to racing your car is only as fast as your tires will let you go. No traction = slow car. So with that said, on a track that has been swept(i hope all tracks are at least swept) and has traction juices added foams will rock. Sugar water is not 100% nessasary..

For goofing around rubber tires are the best bet since traction is going to be low anyway since goofing around usually means a dust serface..

Foams are rated in shore rating:
ect. Higher numbers mean harder tires. and lower means.......

On my Ntc3 i run 45front 42 rear and sometimes 40 rear...

The great thing about foams is the work, rubber tires are a guessing game... Wich of the 100tires do you pick? Then what insert????

With foams you choose any brand since foam is pretty much foam... its all in the shore rating.. if you need a 45shore tire and there are 5 brands with that rating... they should all be about the same once on the track... Rubber tires cannot be picked that way... there is no standard way to compare compounds... on companys soft is anothers hard..
Old 06-23-2002, 10:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default how to repair a warp front foam wheel?

Hi my front wheel of my impluse is easily warp from a few knocks on the side wall of the track. the foams wheels are still new but the plastic iis warped. Is there any way to fix this?

using ellegi 26mm 6 spoke front for my impulse. is there another brand of wheels which can fit the front of the impulse? the yellow 6 spoke wheels cant take beatings.

thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.