Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Efra rules

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I understand if you can't but can you show or tell us anymore about this pipe? Sounds very interesting to me.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wingracer
I understand if you can't but can you show or tell us anymore about this pipe? Sounds very interesting to me.
There were some photos on the web but I can't find them anymore ...sorry (only stolen photos taken by the driving stand showing the EFRA man with the pipe in the hands).
The pipe was brought in Luxemburg at the 1/8 EC A this year by EFRA and they should have tested the pipe. Unfortunately the rain came.
The week after the EC one of the engine producers we work for called us to suggest not to spend time on a silenced pipe because he said he was against it and had "big friend" against the new pipes...................

Started to test it on offroad cars because we had many drivers in the category. But EFRA said that the new pipe was only for 1/8 onroad because the problem was there. The results were good but obviously we had to try many solutions. Different shapes and manifold and internals. Substancially it has more volume so that the gas has to make more distance before to coming out.
The first project of this pipe came by a pc-software normally used for motorbike's exhausts. This software said that our engines needed more volume to maximize the performance and this we did. We gave more volume to the pipe without stopping too much the gas' speed.
In the end the pipe had bottom and high power like the nowadays sistems.
The only less was the weight but.... not a problem on the 1/8

...but then came the bad news: EFRA said no new pipes ruling

This happens when you are not supported by the market
Old 11-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Tech Adept

Our pipe is the one on the right.
The one on the car is ... the old think!
It's time for something really new
Attached Thumbnails New Efra rules-final0012.jpg  
Old 11-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Default Good job... Don't be upset.

Originally Posted by NikoRacing
Our pipe is the one on the right.
The one on the car is ... the old think!
It's time for something really new
Niko, you must be patient and continue your R&D and it will happen over a longer time than you think.

Why, many clubs around the world can now propose using a silenced engine to their councils and area government for Nitro to return to tracks that are now EP only for the noise problem. In Australia several tracks closed because of this problem. If your pipe has a very low DB output then this is a great opportunity for clubs to formally test, gather data and submit them to the governing council (cantons) and have Nitro return to tracks that are banned for nitro.

In some clubs in Australia we have a curfew time to shut down our engines, if your pipe can help extend this time it is a very positive move for RC around the world.

But patience is the key, the decisions will take a LONG time, and needs a lot of RC people around the world to accept this type of exhaust ( many do not like change )

It's like the INS box, it took 3 years before it was adopted by all the drivers as it was a long enough time for everyone to buy one.. Same applies to your cool exhaust.

h
Old 11-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I like the idea of quieter cars, though many may not want the extra weight a more complex pipe could bring, but my head rings after a day running nitro, and your throat often aches from screaming down at your pit man trying to be heard over the roar, so I'd love it to be at least a little quieter.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:48 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you for your interest on the silenced pipes! I hope the Federation will be able to hear us.

You told something about Australia and other countries with big problems caused by the noise.
Can you please tell me if there's some engine producer/tuner that work there. Maybe I can convince my boss to send a prototype if the new pipe just to make it known... and maybe to open a way to the new.
Would be really interesting to look what there's out of Europe

Thank you all
Old 11-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Who is in charge of making the rule changes?

I want to say that in the end, it is the racers who are paying for the financial cost of the rule changes, for better or worse. My question about who decides, makes and implements the rules, IMO, is something that everyone who races, especially those who pay to race and are the supporters of the industry, should take into consideration. The weight rule, the body height rule, qualifying re-fueling rule and nitro percentage and restrictor rule may all be valid but in the end it is the paying racers who are most affected.

Was the theory that 16% nitro fuel and 8mm restictors in reality lower the decibel levels? Is there validation to this or is it only a theory? Just to be clear I am for noise reduction if the area you race in requires it.

The no fuel 5min qualies bring something to mind that came up here in Southern California a couple of years back. The idea that 7min quals was going to be the wave of the future was on the mind of some and so a few races were run using this format. In the end I saw this as unproductive because it ended up costing more fuel and tires.

To this end, I had suggested that if making run time is that critical so that everyone is forced to pit for fuel why not just run 4 minute qualifiers? Everyone would make run time and there would be fuel and tires saved in the process as well.

I also agree that the weight limit should be looked at in consideration to those who are running older style cars. It can be difficult and expensive to reduce weight and a lot less expensive to add it. Again, the end users who are paying to race, IMO, should excercise their right to help shape the rules. Perhaps in this case they already have. I do not know. Like I asked earlier, who is in charge of writing the rules?

I raise these points mainly to bring an awareness to the racers here in the states. IMO the rules implemented by EFRA and the IFMAR world championships should not dictate to those of us racing here in the states or anywhere else for that matter what rules we race under unless WE the racers having a say in the matter. The idea of having a governing body (IFMAR) and individual blocks to govern the hobby, I hope, will remind us that it is still a democratic process.

I am not opposed to rules being modified or changed or added in the effort to help grow and better the hobby as a whole. I believe that it is important the the governing bodies take into account the racers and especially those who are paying to race and ask their opinions on these matters. More importantly, the racers/block members should be taking into account their involvement in the governing process. I suppose in the end it is the majority that rules. If the members make their voices heard for the changes they want or oppose, the rules will not be dictated to us. Again, the majority voice will prevail.

As for myself, I would not like for ROAR to implement EFRA rule changes without the ROAR members/racers voting for the changes.

Last edited by Danny A.; 11-13-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

@ Niko, I wish I had seen that picture and had these info... I was at the AGM
(I'm just a licenced memeber of the french federation but I speak english so I was there as a paying racer and translator for the french federation...) and I'm sure I would have raised that point about this new pipe.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by romain_f
@ Niko, I wish I had seen that picture and had these info... I was at the AGM
(I'm just a licenced memeber of the french federation but I speak english so I was there as a paying racer and translator for the french federation...) and I'm sure I would have raised that point about this new pipe.
I'm happy about what you say....
...but sad because it's one more demonstration that if you have not a support of the producers it's really difficult to make your ideas come true.
and..... how it's possible that EFRA ask for a pipe and then a year later seems it has forgotten it!??

It's all wrong. The federation should decide. Not the factories.
Factories make the market...Federation should make our (users) interest....
Old 11-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Adept

Default 733

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/683/733f.jpg/
Old 11-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If that is for real my next car will be a 733 and I can get them used o so cheap

Niko imo let the market decide if that pipe should be adopted,if it has advantages sure everyone would look at it.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Tell us your secret

Pass you soon
Old 11-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Tech Adept

This is not my car but the car of Mazzeo...
Old 11-14-2011, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by and23
This is not my car but the car of Mazzeo...
OK... Lets talk to Mazzeo. I would love to see what he did to his 733 to get it so light.

Pass you soon...
Old 11-14-2011, 06:29 AM
Tech Lord

Did mis-calibrate the scale?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.