Wiki Posts
Search

New Efra rules

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MugenDrew
Do you think the variance that your seeing between the two engines (21-5t) is purely due to the looser tolerances of the lesser engines to reduce scrap rate?
What is "scrap rate"?

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chickentrader
What is "scrap rate"?

Kindest regards,
Lars.
It's the amount of production that is somehow not the quality that can be sold to customers as "first-class quality"-product.

-X-
Old 03-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Suspended

As far as I see it now...
  • the majority of European countries do NOT adapt to the new ERFA rules.
  • GP's are cancelled, more will follow.
  • ever low subscription for European championships, there is even talk of cancel.
  • non clear situation about homologated additives due to unability of controll these.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1/10 On Road has a change to 1550g after a Italian company creates a 1550g car, Has an Italian engine company also been putting pressure on EFRA to make IC cars keep up with Electrics due to the decline in popularity of Nitro? An Italian multiple world champion does his first year in 1/10..

I'm not one for conspiracy theories haha.. Just bored on the train
Old 06-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So,it's the new rule 1650grams?If so then I will dust off my V-oneRRR R4 mix.BTW is Collari really racing 1/10?Haven't heard of him lately,must be afraid of me huh *italian hand gesture*
Old 08-27-2012, 02:26 AM
Tech Regular

Been reading on the EFRA site and it seems they will go to a 1650 weight limit for 10th scale IC. Also the tire additives are listed to advise us racers what to use, if you want to use it that is.

Volatile additives will be probihited i think, from attending the race?
No silicone oils be used also.!

If it is voted on the 1650 weight limit, and not approved, the rule of 1550 will stand i think?? for 2013.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:47 AM
Tech Lord

Yes, it is a bit weird that the EFRA can be carefull about tire treatments but do nothing with as an example tho's jar's filled with a very chemicul fluid to clean exhausts.....

The 1550 gramm was rejected afterwards, if there is no approvement for the 1650 then the 1700 will stand if I am correct.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:04 AM
Tech Elite

Default Nitro / EP / Weight / Design

Originally Posted by JamesHealey
1/10 On Road has a change to 1550g after a Italian company creates a 1550g car, Has an Italian engine company also been putting pressure on EFRA to make IC cars keep up with Electrics due to the decline in popularity of Nitro? An Italian multiple world champion does his first year in 1/10..

I'm not one for conspiracy theories haha.. Just bored on the train

If I lived in a country like England where for the most part it's more likely to rain than not then I too would tend to lean towards EP racing just because it can be run indoors, the performance is there and I really hate being washed out and being disappointed trying to fight mother nature.

But, I live in the sub-tropics, the annual temperatures are higher and when it does rain, there is ample heat in the track to dry it out in an hour, add to it lights and it lends itself well to racing Nitro on a warm summer evening.

Those in EP who wish to elude the fact that they spend thousands of dollars on upgrading electronics and spending hard earned dollars inching their capacity in 100mA increments and C ratings in 5c increments should see they are being milked.

EP socially is more an individual format, it's sprint racing, there's less chance of building rapport with club mates as there is in Nitro as we enjoy spending time in the pits and helping each other out, we lend glow starters and even tune the engines for each other and this lends to more social interaction and more commitment to club members etc.

As for the weight rules, in AU 1725 is where it's at, and I am burdened with adding an excessive amount of weight. This happened in Electric to us where our car was designed for NiMH and we were on weight. Then LiPO appeared on the scene and our E4 TM with a 3800 LiPo was stacked 120g (10%) with lead on the top plate as there was no-where else to put it.

All this because EP racing allows the use of the battery (power source) as the weight. They did finally lower the weight yet I couldn't use a bigger battery as ballast and suffers great losses in performance. Rather than re-invest thousands in a new chassis and new battery, I switched my younger son to Nitro. To this day I believe EP should be weighed minus battery and the decision for more power to weight ratio should be up to the driver.

If other manufacturers design their cars with a little more thought then 1550 is easy to achieve and they will be forced to using quality metals and not imitations. Italians have been the masters of metallurgy since roman times.

The reason one manufacturer achieves this is due to good design, quality materials and this is good for the sport as a whole as you know you are getting something worthy of Race Spec. Prior to owning a Capricorn I too thought that the cars would be too fragile and I was proven wrong. The design is intelligent and others should learn from it and follow, not handicap the manufacturers who are designing better cars.

Hence, when the other manufacturers do work it out, I trust those who think 1550 is too light do not change their opinions once they have to purchase and stack their cars with brass fittings and expensive heavy metals. I've spent over $300 extra just achieving a weight limit, could have bought my son the new TM E4 for that!!

Technology progresses, as should the specifications. The specs should not burden those who design cars intelligently, this is very clearly demonstrated in the rear end of the C02 where the designer laminated the tower and bulkhead needing only two screws. Compared to the Shepherd I own that resembles rivets on the Sydney Harbour Bridge, forcing the purchase of Titanium screws.

By accommodating the excess weight limit is simply letting other manufacturers become complacent with their design. I congratulate Capricorn RC for the contribution to our sport and suggest other put pressure on their manufacturer to follow suit.

-- I bet I'm in trouble now! --
Old 08-27-2012, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blis
If I lived in a country like England where for the most part it's more likely to rain than not then I too would tend to lean towards EP racing just because it can be run indoors, the performance is there and I really hate being washed out and being disappointed trying to fight mother nature.

But, I live in the sub-tropics, the annual temperatures are higher and when it does rain, there is ample heat in the track to dry it out in an hour, add to it lights and it lends itself well to racing Nitro on a warm summer evening.

Those in EP who wish to elude the fact that they spend thousands of dollars on upgrading electronics and spending hard earned dollars inching their capacity in 100mA increments and C ratings in 5c increments should see they are being milked.

EP socially is more an individual format, it's sprint racing, there's less chance of building rapport with club mates as there is in Nitro as we enjoy spending time in the pits and helping each other out, we lend glow starters and even tune the engines for each other and this lends to more social interaction and more commitment to club members etc.

As for the weight rules, in AU 1725 is where it's at, and I am burdened with adding an excessive amount of weight. This happened in Electric to us where our car was designed for NiMH and we were on weight. Then LiPO appeared on the scene and our E4 TM with a 3800 LiPo was stacked 120g (10%) with lead on the top plate as there was no-where else to put it.

All this because EP racing allows the use of the battery (power source) as the weight. They did finally lower the weight yet I couldn't use a bigger battery as ballast and suffers great losses in performance. Rather than re-invest thousands in a new chassis and new battery, I switched my younger son to Nitro. To this day I believe EP should be weighed minus battery and the decision for more power to weight ratio should be up to the driver.

If other manufacturers design their cars with a little more thought then 1550 is easy to achieve and they will be forced to using quality metals and not imitations. Italians have been the masters of metallurgy since roman times.

The reason one manufacturer achieves this is due to good design, quality materials and this is good for the sport as a whole as you know you are getting something worthy of Race Spec. Prior to owning a Capricorn I too thought that the cars would be too fragile and I was proven wrong. The design is intelligent and others should learn from it and follow, not handicap the manufacturers who are designing better cars.

Hence, when the other manufacturers do work it out, I trust those who think 1550 is too light do not change their opinions once they have to purchase and stack their cars with brass fittings and expensive heavy metals. I've spent over $300 extra just achieving a weight limit, could have bought my son the new TM E4 for that!!

Technology progresses, as should the specifications. The specs should not burden those who design cars intelligently, this is very clearly demonstrated in the rear end of the C02 where the designer laminated the tower and bulkhead needing only two screws. Compared to the Shepherd I own that resembles rivets on the Sydney Harbour Bridge, forcing the purchase of Titanium screws.

By accommodating the excess weight limit is simply letting other manufacturers become complacent with their design. I congratulate Capricorn RC for the contribution to our sport and suggest other put pressure on their manufacturer to follow suit.

I dis-agree the 1550 is too light. The Cap maybe the lightest car but it is also the most fragile and the most expensive. The only logical reason to change the weight to 1550 is too also change the motor drastically to where the motors produce 50% less horsepower which will also lower the noise level. I believe the real reason behind the 1550 weight rule is only the tip of the iceberg there is more to come with engines.

Pass you soon...
Old 08-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Tech Lord

Not only the car is making the weight..... There is more needed to get the 1550 gram:

- lightweight bodies -> more fragile compared with normal weight ones.
- LiPo/LiFe batteries -> more fragile compared with the rocksolid NiMh
- aluminium shafts -> more fragile than steel ones
- titanium or aluminium srews -> more fragile than steel ones
- lightweight rims -> more fragile than normal ones
- sometimes low profile or even micro servo's are used -> from what I have heared arround me also not the most solid solution.

All kind of things taking away the affordable hobby within this sport, if you want to ruin this hobby then go ahead with such stupid rules. As mentioned before: there are only a few complaining about the heavy weight, for some others it is becoming a sport to have the lightest car but for most it is a pain in the ass to comply with what toplevel racers want.

Adding weight is pinuts (not using expensive materials), loosing weight is a compleete different thing.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by blis
Technology progresses, as should the specifications. The specs should not burden those who design cars intelligently, By accommodating the excess weight limit is simply letting other manufacturers become complacent with their design. I congratulate Capricorn RC for the contribution to our sport and suggest other put pressure on their manufacturer to follow suit.

+1 respect for this manufacturer, though i drive xray.
we will wait and see what is decided. And the few off us who still race National will welcome the 1550 rule.
What newcommers do is follow the fastest drivers i have experienced. Thats what a newcommer did when i started to guide one every race. he bought the fastest engine`s. He still is enthousiast though but went to the 8scale side.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
Not only the car is making the weight..... There is more needed to get the 1550 gram:

- lightweight bodies -> more fragile compared with normal weight ones.
- LiPo/LiFe batteries -> more fragile compared with the rocksolid NiMh
- aluminium shafts -> more fragile than steel ones
- titanium or aluminium srews -> more fragile than steel ones
- lightweight rims -> more fragile than normal ones
- sometimes low profile or even micro servo's are used -> from what I have heared arround me also not the most solid solution.

All kind of things taking away the affordable hobby within this sport, if you want to ruin this hobby then go ahead with such stupid rules. As mentioned before: there are only a few complaining about the heavy weight, for some others it is becoming a sport to have the lightest car but for most it is a pain in the ass to comply with what toplevel racers want.

Adding weight is pinuts (not using expensive materials), loosing weight is a compleete different thing.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by djiewie
+1 respect for this manufacturer, though i drive xray.
we will wait and see what is decided. And the few off us who still race National will welcome the 1550 rule.
What newcommers do is follow the fastest drivers i have experienced. Thats what a newcommer did when i started to guide one every race. he bought the fastest engine`s. He still is enthousiast though but went to the 8scale side.
Be real!
You do think all those 15 left over National drivers are all willing to go to 1550 gram?
There are rumors that at least one is making the step to 1/8 next year, how much 1/10 drivers did already make that step in the past few years?
With such low numbers there is almost no track willing to organise a national next year and with such rules you can rule out all possible future interested drivers with older cars.

You have to start to ask all non National 1/10 drivers why they do not drive a National and ask them what must be done to get them to do it.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

why you all always focusing the weight problem on the car,why nobody complain the engine weight,why always push the problem to the car manufacturer.
the engine manufacturer should produce light weight engine so that they can create a selling point on the weight rules.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Tech Lord

Why not willing to comply with current weight rules where even some of today's cars have difficulties to get that low with a stock equipment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.