R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-07-2012, 05:48 AM   #106
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap View Post
Jacques Liebenberg takes South African championship for 2012 ,after winning the last nats
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed6 View Post
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Main-H...type=1&theater

1st Championship Race with a 1st Place

Thanks everyone for the support!
Congratulations to the both of you, good job!.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #107
Tech Master

Quote:
Hey people is it just our track or does 1/10 car handling change so much??

Well last week i did some testing since i received the Cap Progressive springs

I normally find that the car has better steering / handling running full red springs against black full springs.

Ran the Progressive and it felt that the car had better sterring but wasn't that stable.

Ran Front Progressive with REar REDS and it got a bit better but no so different

Ran Front Progressive with Rear BLACKS and it was all over the place and steering became to much aggresive.

Is there some sort of popular combinations for the Progressives and how come they felt they had more steering more than the REDS?

By the way i am running the car lenth with a 1MM shorter as tried the 2MM but was to aggresive but i quite liked the 1MM even though its not easy to drive as it is with the long wheels base.
Thanks
When there isn't any traction every car will slide. Also when the traction is low driving becomes more important compared to setup.

With the progressive springs the initial reaction will improve because of the softer spring rate in the beginning.
They do need a good amount of traction because they are quite hard after the initial roll.
We may need red progressive springs, I will make the suggestion to Capricorn.

With the Capricorn cars 99% of the time I run the same color springs in the front and rear and the car feels really balanced.

I always run the car in the long wheelbase configuration, tried the short wheelbase several times but never liked it. Always felt like the car over rotated in mid corner.

The quickest fix to get rid of oversteer is increasing the rear toe. If the traction is low you can easily go to 3,5 degrees of rear toe in.

Don't know which tires you are running, but with the Capricorn tires I also make the rims softer on a low traction track using the Capricorn rim reamer tool. This makes the car a lot easier to drive and it increased corner speed.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #108
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
When there isn't any traction every car will slide. Also when the traction is low driving becomes more important compared to setup.

With the progressive springs the initial reaction will improve because of the softer spring rate in the beginning.
They do need a good amount of traction because they are quite hard after the initial roll.
We may need red progressive springs, I will make the suggestion to Capricorn.

With the Capricorn cars 99% of the time I run the same color springs in the front and rear and the car feels really balanced.

I always run the car in the long wheelbase configuration, tried the short wheelbase several times but never liked it. Always felt like the car over rotated in mid corner.

The quickest fix to get rid of oversteer is increasing the rear toe. If the traction is low you can easily go to 3,5 degrees of rear toe in.

Don't know which tires you are running, but with the Capricorn tires I also make the rims softer on a low traction track using the Capricorn rim reamer tool. This makes the car a lot easier to drive and it increased corner speed.
Hey DS thanks for the above MSG and for the next support msg

So the Black progressive are compared as being part of the black family shocks?

I don't even like the short wheelbase but that was the only way to get more steering which i did loose more rear grip than got steering so i might go back to long wheel base as car is to nervous.

Re: Toe in i am running 2.5 with Contact 40 in the rear and 37 in the front.

Tried the Cap but with the Contact was faster

So to try and not loose off power steering and also try and get more grip at the rear on power whats the quick-fix? Just run more rear Toe?
speed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #109
Tech Master

Quote:
Hey DS thanks for the above MSG and for the next support msg

So the Black progressive are compared as being part of the black family shocks?

I don't even like the short wheelbase but that was the only way to get more steering which i did loose more rear grip than got steering so i might go back to long wheel base as car is to nervous.

Re: Toe in i am running 2.5 with Contact 40 in the rear and 37 in the front.

Tried the Cap but with the Contact was faster

So to try and not loose off power steering and also try and get more grip at the rear on power whats the quick-fix? Just run more rear Toe?
Yes, the black progressive have a mediant hardness which is comparable to the regular blacks.

Yes, go back to long wheelbase and try getting more steering through another way.

I would try adding some front droop, so a lower downstop value.
This will give you more weight transfer towards the rear during acceleration but doesn't influence the car a lot during braking. It might cause a little understeer in chicanes/fast direction changes, but this shouldn't be an issue.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #110
Tech Elite

DS is giving you great advise here. Definitely keep the car long. Maybe also try less caster in the front. This will help the car go in better and have less steering on power. Make it drastic and move the arms all the way forward. Just to see if it really helps. If it is too much than bring them back little by little.

DJ Apolaro
Old 11-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #111
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
Yes, the black progressive have a mediant hardness which is comparable to the regular blacks.

Yes, go back to long wheelbase and try getting more steering through another way.

I would try adding some front droop, so a lower downstop value.
This will give you more weight transfer towards the rear during acceleration but doesn't influence the car a lot during braking. It might cause a little understeer in chicanes/fast direction changes, but this shouldn't be an issue.
75% of our turns are chicanes

Will give it a try as it does make sense a lot!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #112
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj apolaro View Post
DS is giving you great advise here. Definitely keep the car long. Maybe also try less caster in the front. This will help the car go in better and have less steering on power. Make it drastic and move the arms all the way forward. Just to see if it really helps. If it is too much than bring them back little by little.

DJ Apolaro
Hey DJ with my K car I ran the least caster possible which helped a lot but the Capricorn its the oppsite as it doesn't seem to like it at the track.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #113
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hey DJ with my K car I ran the least caster possible which helped a lot but the Capricorn its the oppsite as it doesn't seem to like it at the track.
OK, Just figured it might be worth a try. I run black front and red rears most of the time and my car seems very balanced.

I do use my rear camber links shorter than most racers and this gives a quick response for the chicanes and helps with the turn in. However, it can make the car unstable at times depending on your set-up.

DJ Apolaro
Old 11-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #114
Tech Initiate

Default front diff

which way is more easy to change the front diff?
brosla7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #115
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj apolaro View Post
OK, Just figured it might be worth a try. I run black front and red rears most of the time and my car seems very balanced.

I do use my rear camber links shorter than most racers and this gives a quick response for the chicanes and helps with the turn in. However, it can make the car unstable at times depending on your set-up.

DJ Apolaro
I also run the shortest link in the rear as I find it to flow better in turns. Will try black upfront and red rears. If I manage to remove the power slide issue I might try again the front progressive with reds rear as I really liked it!

Thanks
Old 11-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #116
Tech Initiate

Try 35 in front, I find this combination works for me better than 37/40 and the wear is more even.
majk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #117
Tech Adept

Default "Johnsen Design" Carbon Radiobox holder

Hi,

Just finished installing my "Johnsen Design" bracket for holding a radiobox....

Fitīs the C01/C02 and C801... Looks cool and works!

Still got a few left if any is interested send me an email...
Attached Thumbnails
Lab C-02-johnsen-design-bracket-web.jpg  

Capricorn, REDS, CRC, Orcan, JP GIMAR, Ielasi Tuned, Tesla, JQ, Sanwa
RC-Netshop.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #118
Tech Addict

Another WIN

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater

Thanks guys
Old 11-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #119
Tech Addict

Default Getting the right setup

Sooooo....... after a very hectic and long weekend trying to sort out the rear issue stepping out when ever i hit the gas especially on right turns, changed setup etc... etc... we found out that the front belt lost allmost all the teeth so the car was behaving rear wheel drive on throttle than its gets to 4wd once it get going bastard.

Unfortunatly race day was on Sunday so had no time to experiment. Drove the car with stock setup but with RED springs and 3 rear toe 37 fronts and 42 rear and car was understeering heavily in the chicanes. For the race i installed a thicker rear sway bar and reduced a bit the rear toe-in to help the on throttle steering response.

It did help but i still suffered in the offpower entry steering into chicanes.

What i am going to try and kindly acknowledge is softer front shock oil maybe go to 40 and lighten the front and rear diff oil. I was suggested to go for 80,000 front and 40,000 rear but this was an xray guy so don't really know how it will react on a cap diff.

Kindly suggest to get more off power steering

Also thanks to the belt issue i realized how much powerful the engine is turning to the right than to the left. I know that its a gforce issue and thought of tryin the following http://www.capricornrc.com/capricorn...id_product=323 on my Novarossi 12PT, what do you guys think?

Thanks once again
Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #120
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Sooooo....... after a very hectic and long weekend trying to sort out the rear issue stepping out when ever i hit the gas especially on right turns, changed setup etc... etc... we found out that the front belt lost allmost all the teeth so the car was behaving rear wheel drive on throttle than its gets to 4wd once it get going bastard.

Unfortunatly race day was on Sunday so had no time to experiment. Drove the car with stock setup but with RED springs and 3 rear toe 37 fronts and 42 rear and car was understeering heavily in the chicanes. For the race i installed a thicker rear sway bar and reduced a bit the rear toe-in to help the on throttle steering response.

It did help but i still suffered in the offpower entry steering into chicanes.

What i am going to try and kindly acknowledge is softer front shock oil maybe go to 40 and lighten the front and rear diff oil. I was suggested to go for 80,000 front and 40,000 rear but this was an xray guy so don't really know how it will react on a cap diff.

Kindly suggest to get more off power steering

Also thanks to the belt issue i realized how much powerful the engine is turning to the right than to the left. I know that its a gforce issue and thought of tryin the following http://www.capricornrc.com/capricorn...id_product=323 on my Novarossi 12PT, what do you guys think?

Thanks once again
Is very rare for someone to need more steering with this car in my experience, unless something else is causing it. You should most definitely try a new steering servo, even if you think that the one that you have is O.K. I've seen that problem before, and it is very hard to isolate.

Kindest regards,
Lars

P.s. Jiles is looking very strong at the Worlds at the moment. Let's all hope that Capricorn can nail it! Here's a picture of the Australian Team of Peter Jovanovic, Chance Karlsson and Ashley Seaward; left to right (no misguided drivers here; we're all Capricorn). On behalf of the Austrlian team; i would like to thank Capricorn Australia for donating the Australian team T-shirts.

Last edited by Chickentrader; 11-14-2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Additional comment
Chickentrader is offline   Reply With Quote