R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-03-2004, 11:27 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default stubborn engine

my new rb12 turbo is being very difficult to turn over. i've tried heating the engine with a hairdryer, and setting the flywheel so the starterbox can get maximum throw before the engine pinches, but the box still had such difficulty turning over the engine, so much so thjat i've only been able to put one tank through it to break it in. i really do need to get this engine broken in. any help or hints would be GREATLY appreciated. i'm using a duratrax starter box with two 550 motors and two racers edge 3000mah stick panks. i tried charging the packs. thanks in advance.
tc3rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:41 PM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10
Default Re: stubborn engine

Quote:
Originally posted by tc3rookie
my new rb12 turbo is being very difficult to turn over. i've tried heating the engine with a hairdryer, and setting the flywheel so the starterbox can get maximum throw before the engine pinches, but the box still had such difficulty turning over the engine, so much so thjat i've only been able to put one tank through it to break it in. i really do need to get this engine broken in. any help or hints would be GREATLY appreciated. i'm using a duratrax starter box with two 550 motors and two racers edge 3000mah stick panks. i tried charging the packs. thanks in advance.
the only easy way to do this is to lap the piston! if you dont have any tools or machine, then another option is to use 12V motor starter box!
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:32 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Wink losen glow plug

losen the glow plug to release compression. after engines fires and is running retighten glow plug.
Boo-Boo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:33 PM   #4
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

one thing a friend of mine did was pull the glo plug and spin the motor on the box (with fuel) a few times.... it was messy but it was easier to turn over...

(it was also a 12V starter box)

[email protected]

www.rcracing.com
RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:39 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Re: losen glow plug

Quote:
Originally posted by Boo-Boo3
loosen the glow plug to release compression. after engines fires and is running retighten glow plug.
This along with heating the engine thouroughly- remove glow plug and header to heat internals, has always worked with a stubborn engine. Run it up to 200F for a few minutes then place piston on BDC. Wait till it cools and start over.

I've had some engines where after 5-6 tanks I still had to bring my generator to the races to fire up the hairdryer!!
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:03 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

A 12v battery in my starter box helped enormously in getting my RB v12 turned over whilst running it in, the 2 battery packs i used prior to this just couldnt provide the power needed...........a blowdryer helped a lot too, it just loosened things up to make turning the engine over easier.
Cheers
AndyT  is offline   Reply With Quote