R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Shooting video

Quote:
Originally Posted by romain_f View Post
Take it easy guys, Blis makes the best RC videos i've ever seen!!
Thanks Romain, any video that is shot is for RC. You are another than sacrifices watching the race and captures it for everyone else and I thank you for letting ppl like me in Australia see racing from around the world.

For those that think I need permission, over the years I have asked many drivers if they mind me shooting videos and not one has denied me. What is really tough for me is that I rarely get to shoot my own sons as I am in pit lane.

I operate to a set of my own rules that ensure I do not distract the drivers during qualification and finals. The close up shots are mostly shot at warm ups and practice, shooting from positions that do not block corners and apexes. During the racing I do my best to shoot from angles that are outside the view of the drivers stand.

Mugenville, for the Victorian titles I edited 45 minute video that was handed out and in the past I always sent the finalists a copy of their achievements, out of my own pocket.

As of now I will post youtube clips as unlisted and send my friends and subscribers links, so they can enjoy watching the best in Australia do their thing around the world.

For the technical, I now shoot interlaced 50i which gives me 50 half frames which makes it better for slowing down with interpolation software. The editing software needs to be able to choose the correct field order to do this as do the plugins that slow it down

The cameras I use are anamorphic HDV, that means it's 1440x1080 not true HD 1920x1080 and the image is stretched by using 1.333 pixel width ratio. A good camera allows for higher shutter speeds and neutral density filters to create the fashionable depth of field. Ultimately a good camera is all in the lens and a manual zoom ring makes all the difference for zooming in and out as the cars race around the track. I prefer using TAPE camera's as I can shoot many hours without the need to ingest the media. A typical 32Gb P2 professional memory card costs over $2000, so I dont use up my company's cards and use tape which I then have to ingest at real time. The last shoot was 5 hours worth of ingest.

The one area I must develop is using a tripod so I dont get camera shake when zooming in to the far corners of the track. The slightest shake becomes a huge bump, but anti-shake seems to soften the imagery, a good tripod head can be up to 10,000 and I will experiment in the future but the car are so fast and the subject matter so small. Its never easy and my lead cameramen at work really give me a hard time with the shake. It's a compromise I will need to reconsider.

3 minutes of footage can take up to 8 hours to edit, it can contain over 100 mark-in and out clips and transitions, I create my titles, source the results, compile them and make my own vignette and prepare logos and promote the sponsors where of an event possible.

Perhaps a magistrate would agree that there's a case for intellectual property in amongst the creativity but I never thought I'd have people ripping off my creativity, I only want to share with the rest of the world what great RC drivers and facilities we have so perhaps one day we will get a visit by drivers from other parts in world to race with our Australian

There are a lot of RC videos I really enjoy, they are all good because someone took the time to share it for free, I never see it as free for me though it belongs to the person that took the time to produce it.
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
For the technical, I now shoot interlaced 50i which gives me 50 half frames which makes it better for slowing down with interpolation software. The editing software needs to be able to choose the correct field order to do this as do the plugins that slow it down

The cameras I use are anamorphic HDV, that means it's 1440x1080 not true HD 1920x1080 and the image is stretched by using 1.333 pixel width ratio. A good camera allows for higher shutter speeds and neutral density filters to create the fashionable depth of field.
I love it when you talk dirty
Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
I dont get anything for promoting RC in Australia... How about you guys do it and I'll sit back and enjoy the racing for a change.

Bravo for the legal research Tom. Hope the others feel the same way, otherwise you can answer to them as to why five awesome hours of our national titles and "MY CAMERA" work is not going to be made available for the public to enjoy.
Bummer for us here stateside, looks like he took ALL his videos down. Ohwell.
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

All this over not allowing tomas to put benny hill theme to a video. I have vid's on youtube also, maybe not in the same calibar as you, but once there there i dont really care who looks or would like to publish them else where, anyway pity you feel that way and gone down the path you have

Jeremy Clarkson
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Mugenville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugenville View Post
Wow it's not like it's a feature film, wonder if permission was given by all that were filmed, the gate swings both ways, anyway had a good giggle as i have had a simular experiance with an offroad truck
Quote:
All this over not allowing tomas to put benny hill theme to a video. I have vid's on youtube also, maybe not in the same calibar as you, but once there there i dont really care who looks or would like to publish them else where, anyway pity you feel that way and gone down the path you have
Hey Rob i think you will find it is more over the first remark you made champ , Tom made a point that it is very relaxed in regards to the filming of people.

BUT in the end it is up to Harry what he does with his material.

Harry keep it up bud and dont let the smartass remarks keep you from the great work that you do. I Look forward to seeing some footage from the Lillydale nats

Last edited by Mike Schroder; 10-30-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Mike Schroder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #21
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schroder View Post
Hey Rob i think you will find it is more over the first remark you made champ , Tom made a point that it is very relaxed in regards to the filming of people.

BUT in the end it is up to Harry what he does with his material.

Harry keep it up bud and dont let the smartass remarks keep you from the great work that you do. I Look forward to seeing some footage from the Lillydale nats
It's going to take a while as there's so much good footage it's going to be epic. I ensure you it will be ready well before Xmas, and those that are sending me a stick will ll be the first to see it.
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:30 AM   #22
Tech Champion

Quote:
Rob, the only people that blame me are the baffoons in this hobby I can proudly say i spent my time a few years ago doing videos and spending my time trying to document this hobby just like Harry. If it wasn't for the disrespect by one or two people in this hobby i would of gladly passed all my creations over to someone else to take care of.

At Liydale, I was speaking to another racer who has been very helpful and committed to another club. I commented to him that we should be thankful to the people who document the hobby, take pictures, write reports and take time away from the sport to record it. It's because of these people that we can have memories of our pastime which we can show in the future to our kids, or to new hobbyists in the future.

There aren't many people who document the history of this hobby/sport. I can proudly say that Harry and I have done/or are doing our parts.

It's a thankless job doing videos, taking photos and spending the time doing these things. Very few people recognise it or give the credit for it. We should provide more respect and gratitude to these people. This hobby isn't about the quick guy, it's about the community, and the people within this community that makes up this hobby/sport. If this hobby did not have a community spirit, it wouldn't be the fun that it is. As a side note, i didn't return to the hobby because of the "hobby" itself, but because of the enjoyment of being involved in the RC community. When people see videos, reports, photos etc what draws new hobbyists to the sport is the sense of a community of racers having fun. Without the documentation of this hobby people would not get this impression, and the number of racers entering would be less. It's for this reason also, that documentation of the hobby through videos, photos and reports is so important.

The way i see it is someone who is quick in this hobby gives to themselves the satisfaction of being quick. The people who put in an effort to give their skills and time to the hobby ultimately give back to the community. It's the later person who is more valuable to the sport in the long term.

So with this in mind. Pay the respect to those that place their time and effort into the hobby away from the track. Next time, step away from your controllers and lend your skills to the hobby away from the track....and not just a silly work bee here and there, but something more "meaty" so to say.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
+1 to your statement of this entire thread. I've seen this guys videos
before. I'll give him a nine on his camera work, but only a three on the
editing that was done on the vids. Enough of this guys, long winded,
patting himself on the back posts. Once he got all sensitive and removed
the video, this became just another useless thread.
rageworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:01 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Quote:
Tom, I'd appreciate it if you would not use commercial music with my clips. I will be in the process of removing all the clips that use it, as I work for a media company I find it unethical to steal the works of others without permission.

If you want to rip my video I cant stop you but please keep it for personal use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rageworks View Post
+1 to your statement of this entire thread. I've seen this guys videos
before. I'll give him a nine on his camera work, but only a three on the
editing that was done on the vids. Enough of this guys, long winded,
patting himself on the back posts. Once he got all sensitive and removed
the video, this became just another useless thread.

i think you will find he deleted his videos because of his profession.

I'm not sure what profession you do (maybe it is editing?), but editing is hard for the average joe. Unless you are a professional editor, you need to go easier on him.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:25 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
Rob, the only people that blame me are the baffoons in this hobby I can proudly say i spent my time a few years ago doing videos and spending my time trying to document this hobby just like Harry. If it wasn't for the disrespect by one or two people in this hobby i would of gladly passed all my creations over to someone else to take care of.

At Liydale, I was speaking to another racer who has been very helpful and committed to another club. I commented to him that we should be thankful to the people who document the hobby, take pictures, write reports and take time away from the sport to record it. It's because of these people that we can have memories of our pastime which we can show in the future to our kids, or to new hobbyists in the future.

There aren't many people who document the history of this hobby/sport. I can proudly say that Harry and I have done/or are doing our parts.

It's a thankless job doing videos, taking photos and spending the time doing these things. Very few people recognise it or give the credit for it. We should provide more respect and gratitude to these people. This hobby isn't about the quick guy, it's about the community, and the people within this community that makes up this hobby/sport. If this hobby did not have a community spirit, it wouldn't be the fun that it is. As a side note, i didn't return to the hobby because of the "hobby" itself, but because of the enjoyment of being involved in the RC community. When people see videos, reports, photos etc what draws new hobbyists to the sport is the sense of a community of racers having fun. Without the documentation of this hobby people would not get this impression, and the number of racers entering would be less. It's for this reason also, that documentation of the hobby through videos, photos and reports is so important.

The way i see it is someone who is quick in this hobby gives to themselves the satisfaction of being quick. The people who put in an effort to give their skills and time to the hobby ultimately give back to the community. It's the later person who is more valuable to the sport in the long term.

So with this in mind. Pay the respect to those that place their time and effort into the hobby away from the track. Next time, step away from your controllers and lend your skills to the hobby away from the track....and not just a silly work bee here and there, but something more "meaty" so to say.
Umm, i'm sure i video'd the 30th anniversary at Moorebank and also i think the last big meet at Lithgow, so i'm doing my bit , it's on the tube but i don't have editing skill which i'm not ashamed to admitt

Jeremy Clarkson
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Mugenville is offline   Reply With Quote