R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-28-2004, 09:12 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default Rubber tire "ring of death"

I was running some CS32 take offs on take off rims with medium take off inserts on my R40 on a concrete track. After around 4 tanks of fuel my tires have developed a "ring of death" on the inside of the tire. The inside of the tire around 2mm from the sidewall has a large wear "groove" in it, the rest of the tire shows normal wear. I normally run 36R sorex on medium A sorex inserts and have never encountered this before.........

My camber settings is around 2 degrees front and rear, again I have used this camber settings on my sorex tires.

Any ideas about why this wear ring occurs?

Incidentally the tires were making a huge amount of grip.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 01:55 AM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Try running 1.5 degree camber or maybe even less. That and/or use a thicker insert.

Like you said, the tires were probably generating more traction than the Sorex tires so that, along with the 2 degree camber, probably folded the tire on the inside edge of the tread causing the wear groove in the tire.
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:18 AM   #3
Tech Master

Sounds like your insert is getting pushed to one side of the tire durring hard cornering. You could glue your insert to the tire with some contact cement. I used to do that all the time. I seem to remember gluing the insided being against the rules for IFMAR or ROAR though so you might want to check first.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:47 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by FREAKAH
Try running 1.5 degree camber or maybe even less. That and/or use a thicker insert.

Like you said, the tires were probably generating more traction than the Sorex tires so that, along with the 2 degree camber, probably folded the tire on the inside edge of the tread causing the wear groove in the tire.
Thanks! I am using pre-glues so I dont have the option of messing with the tires in any way, I will try the camber suggestion.......
Old 11-30-2004, 11:52 AM   #5
Tech Regular

the pre glued take offs are not really any good for nitro racing, the insert is too thin and too soft, can you not get hold of the tyres on there own, i usually run echo medium thin inserts
www.DHmodelsport.co.uk
jas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:23 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

When I ran rubber tires in nitro sedan I usually ran 1 degree of negative camber and no more than 1.5. The other two thing you want to look at are:

a) front toe - the more you have, the quicker the insides of the tires will wear in the front.

b) camber gain - depending on your camber link length and angle you can adjust the camber gain. Camber gain is how much your camber increases throughout the suspension compression. If you have a lot of camber gain with a static 2 degrees of negative camber, that could explain the wear.

The other thing to keep in mind is that some surfaces are just plain abrasive and chew up tires. Unsealed asphalt and roughed concrete come to mind). Not much you can do on these surfaces besides looking for a tire manufacturer with good grip and better wear.
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:16 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by fraz
When I ran rubber tires in nitro sedan I usually ran 1 degree of negative camber and no more than 1.5. The other two thing you want to look at are:

a) front toe - the more you have, the quicker the insides of the tires will wear in the front.

b) camber gain - depending on your camber link length and angle you can adjust the camber gain. Camber gain is how much your camber increases throughout the suspension compression. If you have a lot of camber gain with a static 2 degrees of negative camber, that could explain the wear.

The other thing to keep in mind is that some surfaces are just plain abrasive and chew up tires. Unsealed asphalt and roughed concrete come to mind). Not much you can do on these surfaces besides looking for a tire manufacturer with good grip and better wear.
I found I had 2 degrees front and 2.5 degree rear camber which I have reduced. Also I found that I had a ton of front toe out (I had not checked it for a long time). I do have a lot of camber gain in the rear as well which I have reduced.