Wiki Posts
Search

Kit choices

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

Default Kit choices

Please be gentle on the n00b...

That being said, about 5-6 years ago, I bought an HPI nitro kit that, if I remember correctly, had everything in the box. Radio, motor, etc. I tried looking at the discontinued list on HPI's site, and couldn't find the exact model, but it was something along the RS4 setup.

I'm looking to get back into this money-pit, I mean hobby, and really want another kit. Apparently, kits aren't popular anymore. To me, that was the best part of the whole thing, putting it all together.

I'm looking for something similar to what the HPI was, maybe a little faster, but a kit, first and foremost. I have no brand allegiance, but I know all my LHS's carry HPI. I'm not worried about ordering online, but by the time I get it together and running, I don't want to wait 2 weeks for replacement parts because I have to order replacement parts online.

Basically, I'm looking for recommendations for 1/10 nitro on-road kits that include everything in the box. I'm not savvy enough to piece together a motor, rcvr, servos, blah blah blah, at least not after 5 years.

It's most going to be parking lot fun, maybe taking it to the local HobbyTown that sets up an outdoor track, but nothing serious. Thanks a ton, in advance.

Steve
Old 10-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Team Associated makes a nice RTR called the NTC3. I bought one of these when i was starting out a few years ago and still have it for parking lot bashing. HPI also has a Nitro RTR out there as well.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I apologize, after reading it again...it seems you are caught in limbo. You want to build the kit but also want everything in it. I am not sure about what manufacturer does this. I know some high end kits, XRAY, Capricorn, Shepard, Serpent and Mugen are kits but only come with just the car kit. There is no engine, servos, tires, radio, etc. It seems like you might benifit the most for the NTC3 i mentioned before and buy some of the hop ups for it. This will in turn give you a RTR car and still let you have some fun "wrenching"
Old 10-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Steve737
Please be gentle on the n00b...

That being said, about 5-6 years ago, I bought an HPI nitro kit that, if I remember correctly, had everything in the box. Radio, motor, etc. I tried looking at the discontinued list on HPI's site, and couldn't find the exact model, but it was something along the RS4 setup.

I'm looking to get back into this money-pit, I mean hobby, and really want another kit. Apparently, kits aren't popular anymore. To me, that was the best part of the whole thing, putting it all together.

I'm looking for something similar to what the HPI was, maybe a little faster, but a kit, first and foremost. I have no brand allegiance, but I know all my LHS's carry HPI. I'm not worried about ordering online, but by the time I get it together and running, I don't want to wait 2 weeks for replacement parts because I have to order replacement parts online.

Basically, I'm looking for recommendations for 1/10 nitro on-road kits that include everything in the box. I'm not savvy enough to piece together a motor, rcvr, servos, blah blah blah, at least not after 5 years.

It's most going to be parking lot fun, maybe taking it to the local HobbyTown that sets up an outdoor track, but nothing serious. Thanks a ton, in advance.

Steve
Steve, I dont want to be a kill joy but a 1:10 track car isnt to sort of equipment you would fool around with in a parking lot, they are just too quick and require a circuit as such. No obstacles of stationary objects etc

A race spec onroad 1:10 is 5mm off the ground, attempting to run one on a street means one little stone and it will launch into the air, get jammed in the gearing and it's an expensive way to have fun.

In additiion, a 1:10 with a shell on it at the speeds they do are like a vacuum cleaner and 10 minutes in a car park means hours of cleaning afterwards.

So what Im trying to convey without sound elite etc is that it's probably cheaper to buy two cars, one for bashing about, and probably an Inferno GT or DM1 1:8 and if your keen, becuase it's bigger, easier to clean, more robust and 1:8 parts are stronger in terms of scale.

From there, if you are still keen, then.. I'd recommend buying an ex-racer's MUGEN MTX4 with starter box etc. Otherwise..Best option, visit your local track and see what everyone else uses.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Adept

blis, don't worry, I'm not taking your comments as elitist or condescending in any way. I appreciate the honesty and opinion. To be honest, I haven't even looked at or considered the 1/8 scale.

esckalayd, I think that if I do decide to go 1/10, that's what I'm going to do, just to get some "wrenching" in.

Thank you both for and taking it easy on the n00b.