R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Virginia and Maryland OnRoad Racers Question

Hello guys,

Today I ran across a 1/5th mile smooth paved oval that they currently run Go-Cart. I talked with the owner about attaching an onroad course to the inside and use part of the straight for the track. The track would be big enough to run 1/5th, 1/8th and 1/10th. The current track had lights which would allow races into the evening. Would anyone be interested in racing nitro and electric on a big layout if we could work something with this location? This would not happen until early next year.

The current track is located in 10324 James MAdison Parkway, King George, VA.

I'm not saying this is going to happen but the owners seemed really interested after I showed them a video of some racing.

Give me your opinions and thoughts. Please remember I will be showing them these responses to help try to secure this for us.

Thanks

Big Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Virginia and Maryland OnRoad Racers Question-track.jpg  
mdhyams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

I've actually raced karts at King George.

BTW, go-carts are sold at K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Lowes and Home Depot. Karts are purpose built to race.

A paved track on the infield would be cool to run RC's at, but having raced at King George before, if they charge per person like they do for karts [including spectators], or race karts both days of the weekend as often as they used to, I don't think there's a lot of chance of getting decent RC crowds there.

I hope I'm wrong, can never have too many on-road options, but a lot of questions remain to be answered.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Default track

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
I've actually raced karts at King George.

BTW, go-carts are sold at K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Lowes and Home Depot. Karts are purpose built to race.

A paved track on the infield would be cool to run RC's at, but having raced at King George before, if they charge per person like they do for karts [including spectators], or race karts both days of the weekend as often as they used to, I don't think there's a lot of chance of getting decent RC crowds there.

I hope I'm wrong, can never have too many on-road options, but a lot of questions remain to be answered.
The track is under new management. I asked about the cost today and the owner told me they only charge $25.00 per race entry now for the karts. There was no cost for spectators. The cost would be something we would work out with them. At this time we are just trying to find out if there would be enough interest to build the inside portion of the track.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:22 AM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

In that area, a really good track (301 quality or better) should have NO trouble at all drawing a good crowd for 1 or 2 races a month.
wingracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Default track

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
In that area, a really good track (301 quality or better) should have NO trouble at all drawing a good crowd for 1 or 2 races a month.
I agree with you, but we need more comments and support for them to thing about this. Laying the new asphalt is not cheap. They want to make sure they can recover the money they put out.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:10 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I agree if you look at the crowd that 301 attracted from up north and down here in Ric there shouldnt be any problems.
VA_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
kmh
Tech Addict

Sounds Great!!!
kmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Being from LA...

Hey there, my name is Danny Alvarado and being from the west coast I can tell you that I would love to see another 301 type track spring up again. I would gladly travel to MD for a big race once or twice a year. I think I can safely assume that you would get many racers from all over the country too. Best of luck on this idea.
Danny A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Default track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny A. View Post
Hey there, my name is Danny Alvarado and being from the west coast I can tell you that I would love to see another 301 type track spring up again. I would gladly travel to MD for a big race once or twice a year. I think I can safely say I speak for a some other hard core racers in my area too. Best of luck on this idea.
Danny thanks for the support. I am going to provide all responses I get to the owners which I'm sure will help in the decision making process.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Depending on the cost to race I'd be there as well. Kinge George is about a 1.5 hour drive for me.
cshelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Default Cost

I spoke with the owner today and he said he would charge $20.00 per class. He would prep and seal the track when he rebuilds it this winter. He seems very excited about this proposal and wants to make sure we can run everything from 1/5th scale to 1/12th scale. As I talk to him more it looks like we might try to do a ribbon track with multiple cut throughs to short the track length. I will be measuring the current track and infield next week and will start working on a ribbon style layout. If anyone is interested in helping please let me know.

Mike
Old 10-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhyams View Post
Danny thanks for the support. I am going to provide all responses I get to the owners which I'm sure will help in the decision making process.
No problem.
Danny A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:22 AM   #13
Tech Master

A ribbon-style track an hour and a half from Richmond?!?! I might have to come out of r/c retirement for that! We (Richmond racers) used to drive right past there on our way to 301. Sounds great!

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:56 AM   #14
Tech Regular

I personally would be there at least twice a month and I think could get 8 to 10 racers from the Richmond area. This is a good central area able to pull from alot of places. Rick
GQ tires TMA marketing
Futaba
Rick1257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Default racing

For JetMD I figured up the distance and its about half the distance you drove to 301.

Thanks guys for all the comments. I am forwarding these to Bryan the owner and hes very excited. He's a big race fan and wants to make this the premiere place to race.

The facility already has electric and lights so we could run into the evening.

I will need some help from you guys designing a ribbon track once I get the straight away size of the current track.

Keep the comments coming, tell the onroad guys that you know about what I am trying to do so we can get more comments and support.