R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-16-2004, 07:28 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Slacker
Default Probably hardest way, but...

I know it's probably the hardest way to drift, but how do you drift with a rear-wheel-drive, nitro truck? So far, I've slammed it down to the ground to about a 1/4" ride height and I've stiffened up the overall suspension, the rear a little stiffer than the front. I have a set of VERY worn out dirt tires that are now smooth slicks (the rear are, the front still have tread, and I have a set of nice street tires that I can use the fronts from), and I have electrical tape. I need to know how to put the tape on (front, rear, both, where at on the tire, entire width of tire, ...?) and how to do the throttle and actual steering part of it. For now, this is my only option for drifting because I have an off-road stadium truck and no money to get the NTC3 like I want.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to nitroRCracer69

the best thing to do would probobly have softer springs in the back and stiff in the ftont , so the backend has more body roll and lets the ass end slide out better
nitroRCracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:00 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to BuggyMulisha

youll wanna adjust camber as well as a few more adjustments if you wanna try to get the fullest effect. set your front camber at about 2.5-3.5 degrees then rear about 1-1.5 degrees. if you have rollbars all around, make those as stiff as you can.
BuggyMulisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 09:54 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

OK, I finally got my truck running again (starter box issues), and I tried to drift this morning.

I can EASILY do doughnuts for as long as I want and I'm able to change directions and do doughnuts in the other direction, but I can't keep it to stay sideways to save my life. It's mostly doing a lot of fishtailing back and forth as I try to countersteer and 360's (I'm trying to do it around a corner where two streets intersect in my neighborhood).

Also, I noticed that the back end kinda skips and bounces sometimes. What's causing this and is it affecting my drifting attempts?

And, still my previous question, "What about the actual driving part? I've heard from another forum to get it moving slowly, turn, then hit the gas just hard enough to break the rear. But then what, do you have to countersteer?"

I'm using my worn dirt tires in the rear and my street tires in the front.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:04 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to BuggyMulisha

its gonna be hard with a stadium but it could be possible if you can get it. to get into a drift, try: say your going straight, then sway to the right a little bit then back left a little then cut it hard to the right and then give it a quick burst of gas. if that works for you, then right after that first burst left off a little and get back on the gas;alternately. and then with your natural instincs, you will wanna turn out of it which is correct but not too much. dont keep it floored while your trying to drift cause it aint gonna happen.
BuggyMulisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 04:15 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

That's pretty much what I do, except without the swaying back and forth. I just go straight, trun to the right a little (or left), hit the gas just a little (less than 1/4 throttle, but that's all it takes to break the rear end loose), then countersteer a little.

So far, I can somewhat drift around small things, like manholes, but I'm not as sideways as I'd like. However, I can sometimes drift pretty well around a manhole, keeping it pretty damn sideways, and keep going without turning it all the way around.

Also, I guess cause it's RWD, it has a tendency to keep on going more and more sideways until it turns all the way around, no matter how much I let off the gas or how much I countersteer. Any suggestions?
Old 11-20-2004, 07:19 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Nick111

id throw some slicks up front and use drag race hook up juice or slot car tire bite use the heavy stuff, on all four tires it should give you the traction you need on a rwd drifter
Old 11-20-2004, 07:37 PM   #8
Tech Regular

since it is two wheel drive, you need to lose some traction up front.
mtc3od is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 10:55 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can loose some traction up front? I'm using worn tires in the rear (which are starting to get some holes in them here and there) and street tires in the front.

Keep in mind that I don't have a job anymore, therefore I'm just about completely broke, and can't really buy anything.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:25 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Nick111

try taking old tires and cutting them off, the dremel the rim smooth. this should result in some traction but barely any, and lay down the shocks as much as you can ie inside shock tower and outer arm hole
Old 11-21-2004, 04:47 PM   #11
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Slacker, try limiting your steering throw, you may be over turning the front end.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 07:02 PM   #12
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Make the rear end as stiff as you can & soften the front. Also run a sway bar on the rear. You could make one out of thick piano wire. For rear wheels get a set of foams that have been worn down to the rim. This should get you drifting like champion.
soc123_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:09 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

OK. I also got some 80wt shock oil, as suggested by some other forums.

Hey theRed5, remember me from the Sugar Bowl forums? I'm Slacker over there and I was askin about the TC3 compared to others.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:58 PM   #14
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to nitroRCracer69

another way to slide it around good w/o losing control is to give it steady medium throttle , then a full burst in the direction you want to go , then counter steer it the opposite way and brake. . . if that makes any sense , but it works.
nitroRCracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 07:44 PM   #15
Tech Rookie

Actually, I am now pretty successful in drifting in a wide u-turn oval pattern w/a similar technique.

I go straight as close to the concrete edge as I can on asphalt roads w/curbs), then turn a little, tap the brake enough to get the rear to break loose, begin to countersteer, hit the throttle to get the back end to come around even more, then continue to countersteer to straighten it out.

However, my drifting attempts are getting ready to come to a screaching, sideways (drifting, sideways, get it?lol) halt. I only have enough gas for one tank and I don't have a job or any money to get more, so I'm going to be out for a while.

Oh yeah, I put some 80wt shock oil in the shocks and there isn't any more bouncing or skipping.