R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-10-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Front One Way Differential-Does it help?

I was going to get the FT NTC3 soon. I noticed that it comes with a front one way differential. I have heard that to racers who have not driven a car with a one way it is challenging to drive the car. They claim that a constant throttle must be applied to prevent from spinning out. Will it be hard to learn to drive with a one way, especially since this will be my first nitro onroad car?

Note-I am a very experienced driver, though I have never driven a nitro onroad vehicle.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:15 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Default Re: Front One Way Differential-Does it help?

Quote:
Originally posted by macnkitty2002
I was going to get the FT NTC3 soon. I noticed that it comes with a front one way differential. I have heard that to racers who have not driven a car with a one way it is challenging to drive the car. They claim that a constant throttle must be applied to prevent from spinning out. Will it be hard to learn to drive with a one way, especially since this will be my first nitro onroad car?

Note-I am a very experienced driver, though I have never driven a nitro onroad vehicle.
i start to learn driving with front diff and when i shifted to one-way, oh boy!!! my lap time really improved a lot. almost everyone will say that hard breaking will be the first challenge you have to face. set-up(lessen) your breaking travel through your radio to a point that when you break, the rear end of your car will not sway to the front. there will be some sacrifice on breaking but as you go along practicing, you'll get use to it.
thefuzzclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:15 PM   #3
Tech Elite

I am suprised that a "very experienced" driver has never tested a oneway. In any event you do not need to apply constant throttle to stop from spinning. On the right surface they are not harder to drive than a diff car. You use them on high grip surfaces where you do not need to brake hard.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:29 PM   #4
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Its just learning to drive differently thats all. When I ran diffs all around a few years ago, I would tap the brakes lightly before turning into the corner.

When I went with foams and front one way setup, I didn't use brakes that much. With foams, I still had the grip I needed, but with the one way setup, I had so much more steering available. It will make you a much smoother driver too since you'll focus more on the "line" and won't be hard on the brakes.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:47 PM   #5
Tech Elite

so do you think that if i start out driving with a fron one way as apposed to starting out with a regular diff, it should be easier to learn? i run on a pretty technical track, with few straights, so will the one way help?
Old 11-14-2004, 10:45 PM   #6
Tech Master

Really depends. If you run a one-way and you don't have to really worry about your car's stability when decellerating- but instead focus on getting your car to weave through the track, then a one-way works wonders. However, sometimes diffs or even a front solid axle works... but this is for tracks where stability under braking is more important than just a lot of steering.

With few strainghts, chances are, its the hot setup already.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:07 PM   #7
Tech Elite

i see, thanks!
Old 11-17-2004, 02:24 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

I`ve been racing a FT NTC3 and have found the front one-way to be very good on the local tracks here. It corners like its on rails on sweeping bends.
As for braking......well, try to do your braking as the car`s pointed straight, the front one-way will really want to make the car spin out when braking in corners.
Cheers
AndyT  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:13 PM   #9
Tech Elite

my track has only about 3 straights, though 1 twice as long as the other 2. very technical track otherwise, and the path into the corners is straight, so i think that there should be no braking problem. thanks
Old 11-18-2004, 02:34 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Default Best way to learn a one way!

I have found the best way to teach someone to use a one way is to have them practise with out brakes! Works every time. That said I like the oneways on the bigger tracks. On short tight tracks I think your better off with out them or at least I am.
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 06:08 PM   #11
Tech Elite

i see.